F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > LED in Halogen Legal Issues ?
Extreme Powerhouse

12-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #1
illusionx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

LED in Halogen Legal Issues ?

Has anyone had any insurance issues replacing Halogens with LED for the F30. Wondering if for example you got into a wreck and the other driver said he was "blinded" by your LED. Is this something that would ultimately put all liability on you since you put LED into a halogen housing ? I see its illegal to do this from what i have read on some sites.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

LEDs are only illegal in the sense that aftermarket LED bulbs tend to lack DOT certification. But they're no brighter than many OEM lamps that are DOT certified, so I'm not concerned.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
idopullups
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Garage List
2014 328xi  [0.00]
2014 328xi (totaled)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionx View Post
Has anyone had any insurance issues replacing Halogens with LED for the F30. Wondering if for example you got into a wreck and the other driver said he was "blinded" by your LED. Is this something that would ultimately put all liability on you since you put LED into a halogen housing ? I see its illegal to do this from what i have read on some sites.
The legality of LED/ HID in any non-oem function is dubious at best. HID is generally illegal in any aftermarket sense, where LED is still a bit of a grey area.

In my state you can fail your annual inspection if they notice aftermarket lighting. This applies for both HID and LED and is explicitly stated in the inspection guidelines. However I have never had a problem.

I would worry about an insurance claim with LED/ HID in a halogen housing. But still you would need to either hit somebody or have a claims inspector who REALLY knew what they were doing to notice anything out of the ordinary.
Appreciate 0