F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 Strut Bar
Extreme Powerhouse

12-03-2020, 02:30 PM   #221
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
This one. They responded to my initial inquiry almost immediately (a few days ago). And shipped it immediately upon payment today. Tracking provided. Apparently they have these in stock unless they are lying.
Nice... that wasn't available when I bought mine... I might get it for that price... mine is solid across which I like but makes it a hassle to get underneath it for any service needed to be done...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #222
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastF30 View Post
Quote:
Thanks, just bought that same bar... couldn't pass up on the deal with eBay.
what deal is that... is that the one I've been waiting over 2 months for? ... I'm actually cancelling it right now...
This one. They responded to my initial inquiry almost immediately (a few days ago). And shipped it immediately upon payment today. Tracking provided. Apparently they have these in stock unless they are lying.
That's where I got it too.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #223
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Got the Megan bar in after a snapped strut bolt mishap . Didn't have to trim or move anything. Passenger side mount barrrrrreely lies on top of the wireloop on that part of the frame for the strut. Didn't bother to zip tie it underneath it's little clip.
Soooooo... you notice a difference or what...

P.s. do your car a favor and clean it up a little under there... lol...
I did. I have a roundabout to go through to park near the door closest to my apartment. Car was pretty flat in the nose as I have to go the full 360° path. Noticeably less body roll for that kind of maneuver. Only a 3 minute drive from the shop to my house but it was definitely apparent there.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      12-03-2020, 02:50 PM   #224
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I did. I have a roundabout to go through to park near the door closest to my apartment. Car was pretty flat in the nose as I have to go the full 360° path. Noticeably less body roll for that kind of maneuver. Only a 3 minute drive from the shop to my house but it was definitely apparent there.
Great to hear!... what was the damage $ at the shop?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #225
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Great to hear!... what was the damage $ at the shop?
Just an hours work ($100)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #226
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just an hours work ($100)
Yea... that's what my shop want's to charge me to install it.. I might as well have them do it after reading this thread...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #227
henkinc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi MT

Magan strut bar for 335Xi no longer in stock

The inexpensive option By Magan (either $85 or 109$ - not clear) is not in stock. They sold it to me and then gave me a refund. I went with a $250 one from ECS Tuning. Made in Germany. They have a cheaper steel one in RED but I didn't like the lack of flexibility in the attachment device. That was about $160.

Noone seems to have our car's strut bar in stock except the ECS Tuning options.
Charlie
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #228
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by henkinc View Post
The inexpensive option By Magan (either $85 or 109$ - not clear) is not in stock. They sold it to me and then gave me a refund. I went with a $250 one from ECS Tuning. Made in Germany. They have a cheaper steel one in RED but I didn't like the lack of flexibility in the attachment device. That was about $160.

Noone seems to have our car's strut bar in stock except the ECS Tuning options.
Charlie
As said above... the Megan one on eBay is definitely in stock at fastpartswarehouse.

Mines already in the air and should arrive Monday.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #229
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

As well as this seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/382551022291.

I was watching 3 sellers on eBay selling it for ~$90usd. 2/3 still have it in stock which have both been posted here.

The longer drive I went on tonight to pick up food was definitely fun. Same roundabout, a bit faster this time and no body roll to the passenger side. The car was soooo flat. So much so I was starting to oversteer because I have an lsd as well. On winter tires and xdrive back on but car feels really good.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      12-03-2020, 09:13 PM   #230
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The longer drive I went on tonight to pick up food was definitely fun. Same roundabout, a bit faster this time and no body roll to the passenger side. The car was soooo flat. So much so I was starting to oversteer because I have an lsd as well. On winter tires and xdrive back on but car feels really good.
just wait until you get those coilovers... car does everything better... flat when it stops and quicker... accelerates etc... the stock suspension is so sad for this car, the front end really drove like a boat before... the driving dynamics are great once you get it all set-up... and it really doesn't cost that much... I'm really proud of this car... It's now a true badass sports sedan...

Last edited by FastF30; 12-04-2020 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 10:30 PM   #231
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Quote:
Soooooo... you notice a difference or what...

P.s. do your car a favor and clean it up a little under there... lol...
I felt the difference on mine. Steering wheel is slightly tighter (I still have RFT), and cornering at a higher speed (25mph on a regular 90 degree turn) seems more responsive and less body roll.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      12-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #232
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Here is a picture of the KC Design one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      12-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #233
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

So i finally installed my strut bar today. This is the one i got, ordered several months ago lol: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...race-aluminum/

This isnt meant to be a comprehesive review, but i will say a couple things.

The most noticeable difference is stiffness of the chasis (particularly front half) when entering or exiting driveways at an angle. You can tell the car flexes less. It also seems like you feel more of the road (i.e., small imperfections, etc) through the steering wheel; not in a bad way, just more communicative, despite EPS. I honestly didnt really feel a different in turn-in, i feel like changing tires made the biggest difference there, and my turn-in is already extremely good with PS4S (and wider front than stock), so YMMV. I didnt hit the canyons yet or anything, so not sure how it will change performance when getting closer to the understeer/oversteer limits. The car certainly feels a bit tighter though.

As for the bolts, i see no reason to get longer ones. The bolts that i took out were very long already. And yes, I know the threads are a bit recessed in the hole, but these seem plenty long. See photo below.

The wire on the passenger side was very much in the way, and undoubtably had to be moved or it would be totally smashed after installing my bar. I unclipped it, put a bit of wire loom over the part where its normally clipped (because it has a "sharp" edge), and let it rest against that and the bar with the zip tie moved slightly so the point of contact between the loom and the bar is the zip tie. See photo below.

The main reason i got the bar i did is because of the ability to adjust it and preload. Thankfully, you can do it, but not in the way you think. The ends of the bar did not seem to be threaded correctly so that when you spin it, it would either pull or push on both sides - it would basically just thread out of one side and in the other, so you weren't actually adjusting the length. So, what you have to do is put all the mounting bolts in loosely, then remove one side of the hinge, then through trial and error spin the bar and the hinges so that the overall length is increased (i.e., "unscrewing" hinges and exposing more threads out of the bar). Then, when its basically a little bit too long to fit if the moutning bolts were already tight, you put the bolt that holds the hinge back in - at this point its only going to go in because the mounting bolts to the car are still loose. Then hand tighten those side to side slowly and you will see this pulls the bar down and already puts it under some compression. Torque those down - i used about 22ft-lbs with re-used bolts - then when its mounted to the car torque down the bolts on the hinger per the included paper (24 nm i believe). Finally, do any small adjustments to the bar to get it totally flat and tighten the lock nuts. The bar is now installed and already pre-loaded/pushing on the strut towers.

I did measure the breakaway torque of all of the bolts coming off and they were all almost exactly 21ftlbs (used a digital gauge) except one was 27. They seemed like they wanted to just keep going a bit when i was around 21 ft lbs, so i did two passes of 22 ftlbs on all of them. The 2nd time they seemed to move a bit more. Could be because they are used TTY bolts. I'm sure they will be fine but if i remember ill check them again in a while. The ones coming out felt pretty lose so im not worried about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
sspade2464.50
johnung4525.00
eleven11370.00
      12-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #234
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I didnt hit the canyons yet or anything, so not sure how it will change performance when getting closer to the understeer/oversteer limits. The car certainly feels a bit tighter though.
Strip right next to the tracks and you got canyon roads... how lucky can you be...

Please please do a canyon run and let us know!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #235
kitchener
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335xi M-Sport

Good info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #236
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK415 View Post
Picked one up from KC Design. Ordered through facebook chat, took about 3 days to deliver from Taiwan.

Nice one piece design and powder coated in black. Install was simple, took longer to open the package than to install it.

Haven't had a chance to drive the car yet...
Did you have to pay tariffs? If so what was the rate and the process for paying them?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #237
motorwerkeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

2012 328i Megan Racing Bar Base Suspension

My Megan Racing bar arrived this week and I have now installed it, albeit with 2 issues.

First, I needed to trim away a bit of the body seam sealer to get the left mount to sit on the tower properly. Not a big deal, but there was no other way to get the holes aligned.

Second, I was under the impression all of the 3-bolt pre-LCI cars have the M10, my car with the base suspension had the M8 bolts. I made the mistake of trying to re-use the existing bolts. The threads were slightly corroded and I suspect they may have already been re-used once when the dealer replaced the engine. One bolt thread stripped as I was tightening down the right side and I had to stop, thankfully the thread inside the mount was still good. I got 6x 31306869931 from BMW and found they have a more robust top washer, and the way it sits allows these to engage 1-2 deeper than the existing bolts. These went in much better than than the old fasteners, torqued to 30nm+90.

How does it drive? Night and day. I can echo the sentiments of others in saying that it should have been like this from the factory. Immediately pulling out of my driveway, I noticed less flex and no dash creak. There is a manhole cover just down the street that used to shake the front end and interior, now the car shakes the manhole cover. The steering feels more precise and the car more is willing to turn in. There is also an improvement in stability when unloading the suspension which helps the car feel much more direct out of corners... I could go on

Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      01-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #238
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
So i finally installed my strut bar today. This is the one i got, ordered several months ago lol: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...race-aluminum/

This isnt meant to be a comprehesive review, but i will say a couple things.

The most noticeable difference is stiffness of the chasis (particularly front half) when entering or exiting driveways at an angle. You can tell the car flexes less. It also seems like you feel more of the road (i.e., small imperfections, etc) through the steering wheel; not in a bad way, just more communicative, despite EPS. I honestly didnt really feel a different in turn-in, i feel like changing tires made the biggest difference there, and my turn-in is already extremely good with PS4S (and wider front than stock), so YMMV. I didnt hit the canyons yet or anything, so not sure how it will change performance when getting closer to the understeer/oversteer limits. The car certainly feels a bit tighter though.

As for the bolts, i see no reason to get longer ones. The bolts that i took out were very long already. And yes, I know the threads are a bit recessed in the hole, but these seem plenty long. See photo below.

The wire on the passenger side was very much in the way, and undoubtably had to be moved or it would be totally smashed after installing my bar. I unclipped it, put a bit of wire loom over the part where its normally clipped (because it has a "sharp" edge), and let it rest against that and the bar with the zip tie moved slightly so the point of contact between the loom and the bar is the zip tie. See photo below.

The main reason i got the bar i did is because of the ability to adjust it and preload. Thankfully, you can do it, but not in the way you think. The ends of the bar did not seem to be threaded correctly so that when you spin it, it would either pull or push on both sides - it would basically just thread out of one side and in the other, so you weren't actually adjusting the length. So, what you have to do is put all the mounting bolts in loosely, then remove one side of the hinge, then through trial and error spin the bar and the hinges so that the overall length is increased (i.e., "unscrewing" hinges and exposing more threads out of the bar). Then, when its basically a little bit too long to fit if the moutning bolts were already tight, you put the bolt that holds the hinge back in - at this point its only going to go in because the mounting bolts to the car are still loose. Then hand tighten those side to side slowly and you will see this pulls the bar down and already puts it under some compression. Torque those down - i used about 22ft-lbs with re-used bolts - then when its mounted to the car torque down the bolts on the hinger per the included paper (24 nm i believe). Finally, do any small adjustments to the bar to get it totally flat and tighten the lock nuts. The bar is now installed and already pre-loaded/pushing on the strut towers.

I did measure the breakaway torque of all of the bolts coming off and they were all almost exactly 21ftlbs (used a digital gauge) except one was 27. They seemed like they wanted to just keep going a bit when i was around 21 ft lbs, so i did two passes of 22 ftlbs on all of them. The 2nd time they seemed to move a bit more. Could be because they are used TTY bolts. I'm sure they will be fine but if i remember ill check them again in a while. The ones coming out felt pretty lose so im not worried about it.
So with this my coilovers go into the holes for my strut bar so would I use the nuts from my coilovers into the then put the nut on top of the bar to tighten it as well as use the one or two open spots for bolts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:19 PM   #239
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
So with this my coilovers go into the holes for my strut bar so would I use the nuts from my coilovers into the then put the nut on top of the bar to tighten it as well as use the one or two open spots for bolts?
Sorry this sentence is hard to understand with punctuation...

Are you saying your coilovers use some or all of the 3 bolts on each side that hold the strut bar? And these bolts are going up from the bottom?

The holes are threaded so the bolts for your coilvers would need to thread into the existing tower holes and then leave enough threads to put a nut to hold the strut bar (assuming threaded up from the bottom). If other holes are not used for the coilovers, then you should be able to reuse the factory bolts to hold the strut bar as with stock suspension.

Post a picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #240
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Sorry this sentence is hard to understand with punctuation...

Are you saying your coilovers use some or all of the 3 bolts on each side that hold the strut bar? And these bolts are going up from the bottom?

The holes are threaded so the bolts for your coilvers would need to thread into the existing tower holes and then leave enough threads to put a nut to hold the strut bar (assuming threaded up from the bottom). If other holes are not used for the coilovers, then you should be able to reuse the factory bolts to hold the strut bar as with stock suspension.

Post a picture.
Only 2 out of 3 holes are used by my coilovers but the other hole is blocked maybe I need to rotate my coilovers around a bit? And they are all studs from the coilovers that come up from the bottom and only a nut is used to hold it in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #241
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Your coilovers clearly show three studs and nuts. You'd tear the frame apart if it was just two. Furthermore we still don't understand what you are asking.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 05:58 PM   #242
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your coilovers clearly show three studs and nuts. You'd tear the frame apart if it was just two. Furthermore we still don't understand what you are asking.
Yes 3 studs but 2 in the place of where the strut bar would go I see others put bolts down into it so I'm wondering if I remove the nuts for the coilovers put the strut bar over it and then the nuts back on top.
Appreciate 0