F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > MT drivers who switched to sport AT
GetBMWParts

06-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #23
Mrcarcrazy
Sarcasm free with all posts.
Rep
Drives: 05 Elise REV310

I'll put my .02 in here, as everyone seems to enjoy it when I do that.

MT - belongs in Sportscars.

AT - everything else.

I'm okay with people who want an MT in their non sportscar (whether it be pickup truck, family sedan, Jeep, etc....). But my rule has become the above.

I'm also okay with people who want an AT in their sportscar (although, I think the majority of them are idiots for it).

Last edited by Mrcarcrazy; 06-18-2012 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #24
J Tiberius
Captain
South Korea
Rep
Drives: Imperial Blue Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTJ View Post
Maybe I'm getting older and lazy, but I went sport auto. I'm tired of shifting, and after one test drive in this car I was sold.

This new auto lets me feel the road, interact, have control, use spider sense, save puppies, find leprechauns, and all of the crap excuses I used to say to justify driving a stick when stuck in traffic.

This 8 speed auto is faster and easier than the 6 manual. Winner.
True - and hilarious!

This is my first auto gearbox (sport trans) and it is a fantastic performer. As others have stated, it always seems to be in exactly the gear I want and performs almost telepathically well. My only complaint is the hard downshift from 2nd to 1st whilst in sport mode during low-speed braking. Initially it was a challenge giving up the sense of control a manual trans provides, but the sport 8-speed is a winner and I have no regrets at all about making the switch.
      06-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

got the 8AT - have always driven 999,999lb clutches. since i'm not tracking this car I wouldn't even need the manual....its comfortable for everyday driving.

only thing is that its a bitch to hold down the brake pedal so i either just put it in P or in neutral then just shift down....oh and my left leg still thinks there a clutch there when i brake or start the car lol....i think i just re-aggravated my partially (20% left) torn acl on my left leg this morning pressing the clutch down hard to downshift...ultimate fail lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairTooLongToo View Post
IMO, if you have to ask, just stay with MT. If you've been driving MT for years without issue, why go with the AT?

That said...the 8AT is probably one of the best I've driven short of a DSG. Here are more impressions... more than most want to know probably.

The Great:
- Is there a torque converter in this thing? Because you definitely can't tell that there is. There is no slip that I can tell. None. Right from idle on up it feels connected.
- It holds gears heroically. Right to red line if you want it. Right down to 1000 RPM if you want it. It's an auto that WILL listen to you in DS mode. Fantastic. Great job!
- Shifts with little delay when asked in DS mode. Fastest non-DSG auto I've tried.

The not-so-Great
- The car is jerky on the brakes when creeping. Try coming to a stop without ANY jerking. Almost impossible because something grabs the car to a stop right at the end as you feather off the brake. Note: this does NOT happen is DS mode so it's definitely software related. WTF is up with that crap BMW?
- Gear spacing isn't great. 1st and 2nd gear are really close together and there's a gap to 3rd gear. So you end with more RPM than you want in 1st and 2nd, then drop to a fizzle when you hit 3rd.

How does it compare to a manual? It doesn't. If the F30 clutch doesn't suck (what is this I read about a delay valve?) then get the MT. The manual mode is fantastic, but it's no replacement for a MT driver if you're into the experience... not even close.
Great comments from a lot of you. Thanks.

Let me try again, to clear some things up.
As I said, I'm looking for EXPERIENCE comments about those coming from MT to AT.
I'm not asking about which is better, or how the MT compares to the AT.
I'm not asking that because I know the functional differences between the two can not be compared.

As I was trying to explain, this is not a AT vs MT question, where if you have ask you already know the answer.
The difference here is to get actual drivers experience from those who have switched and what they like or dislike about the switch.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
I've been driving MT since 1981. My wife has been driving MT since about 1990, if not longer.

We ordered a 328i sport-line with the sport 8AT. This is primarily her car, but I will drive it enough to want it to be fun to drive. (_my_ daily driver is a Miata).

She's been considering AT for a while, since she does more rush-hour freeway driving than I do. We looked at an Audi A3 with a DSG prior to buying her previous car (Acura TSX 6MT) and really liked it--we picked the Acura overall that time, but really wished they had a dual clutch gearbox available. But I can't stand most conventional ATs as the torque converter slip drives me crazy, and they always seem slow to downshift. I'm not all that tied to a manual clutch, but I do want to pick the gear.

When we test drove the 328i the first time, all they had in a sport-line was the 6MT. We liked it, but went back later to try the 8AT. In sport mode, it blew us away. I don't think I could out shift it with a MT. If anything, I think it upshifted faster than the Audi DSG we tried in 2006. No noticeable torque converter slop. The gear selection was telepathic--I'm not as sure I will need the paddles as much as I thought I would.

Obviously, you can't tell that much from a short test drive, so time will tell if this was a mistake or not. I do wish they had a DCT available on this car--but I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference if we had one.
Your experience is very much like mine.
I was intrigued with the technical info on the new sport AT.
But, being a MT driver I didn't expect to discover what I did.
1st F30 I test drove was a 328i with sport AT. I was shocked, amazed, delighted. I couldn't believe a stock AT could be made to work like this.
Plus, I had just driven an S4 with DSG a few minutes before taking the 328i out.

I've since driven a couple more 328i's and 1 335i, all with sport AT.
That's the reason I picked the sport AT for my 335i, it's amazing in it's operation.
I'm concerned that I may be a bit "techno-glammed" in that I am amazed at the technology and function of this thing, that I am not thinking whether it will be fun to drive or not.
That's why I wanted to post this thread.
Some of the comments have been helpful answering what I thinking about.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #28
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie55912 View Post
Nope....my wife has the 8 sp auto in an sport package. I still prefer a manual over my auto in the 2011 and the 8 speed auto in the F30 sport. He is looking at a 8 sp auto in the sport package.
A 2011 335i could have been had with 8 speed auto? I thought it was only available in the new 2012+ models?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
A 2011 335i could have been had with 8 speed auto? I thought it was only available in the new 2012+ models?
If you count reverse and neutral, yes, E90's had an 8AT.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

Hey RPM90,

I'm a long time MT driver (7 cars, 26 years... all MT), but I've given up on my wife's ability to keep her "I will learn!" promise. Honestly this is the first AT I thought I could live with after test driving one.

Those of you who have switched to the sport AT, can you give your experience and impressions now that you've had your car for some time?

Overall, I'm pleased with it - it doesn't wallow like the typical AT, shifts are very fast and, in sport mode, they can be positively jarringly sharp - no hint of a torque converter gumming the works.

How has the AT performed over all?

It shifts much faster than I can. But when it's shifting fast (sport/sport+), it's not as smooth as I am (I've had many passengers not realize my car was a manual until they looked down at the gear shift in surprise) - depending on throttle and RPM it can really jolt you. And when it's being smooth (comfort) it gets that vague feeling most ATs give you. So you can have fast and harsh and precise, or kinda fast and smooth but vague.

Do you drive in auto or manual mode, which one more?

If I'm tired, have a headache, or a passenger who does not appreciate sporty driving... I leave it in comfort mode and wallow along. Otherwise Sport+ and manual mode. I find I can pick higher gears to get efficiency (eg, 5th in a subdivision where I'm going 25-30 where the auto would select a much lower gear), and also get it into the right gear ahead of time - just like a proper MT. Though with such fast shifts, the penalty for being in the wrong gear is very low.

In manual mode do you change gears with the paddles or shift lever?

99% of the time, paddles. The 1% is if I need to shift while turning and it's awkward to hit the paddle.

Is there something you miss by not having the MT in your 3?

I've stomped on the floor with my left foot several times. It's not the same as an MT - you're not as 'connected' to the car, that whole clutch interaction is missing and that makes it feel odd. But it's better in different ways (shift speed, ability to be lazy).

If anything, what is the most annoying aspect of the AT?

This isn't entirely a AT complaint, but it's related. I prefer the feel of the car in sport mode (steering in particular). In auto sport mode, gears 7 and 8 are locked out. So I end up driving in manual mode, which is more fun anyway, but... then auto stop/start is disabled. So when I approach an intersection that I suspect will involve a long wait I flip it back to auto mode. Kinda annoying... stop/start should function even in manual mode.

Some have said that driving the AT might get boring, is it?

Not yet!

Finally, are you happy with your choice and the overall performance of the sport AT?

Yes - it's an impressive transmission

Do you regret not getting the MT?

No, not really... I miss the MT, but don't regret the AT. I'd buy another MT in a heartbeat if the situation was right (eg., the Mrs. had no interest/need in driving that car)

And add anything else that you may think of, perhaps something positive that you didn't expect.

Yes, say you are in lazy mode... but you suddenly find yourself annoyed with lazy mode's gear choice and/or needing to not be in lazy mode. Hitting either paddle puts you in manual mode for something like 10 seconds. Two left taps drops you down into a whole lot of passing power, for example.

The other unexpected treat... being a long time MT driver, I'm not in the habit of using a P button for anything. It does that all by itself when I turn the car off. So, no new habit to learn...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #31
1.fresh.f30.335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xdrive M-Sport

always been a MT guy, this time I went with the 8spd sport trans because I had too (skrew up with order and this was what was on the ground)... I have the 335 as well... I love it, it shifts so fast and sounds so sick!... I drive in sport mode with manual mode and its the fastest responding paddle shifter I've ever seen or experienced!

I have only wanted a stick a dozen times, I have appreciated getting this trans a hundred times... Just IMO

--> I love how everyone who didn't even test this trans has thrown in their .02, even though the OP asked you not to... I hope this helps!

'14 535i xdrive M-Sport Carbon Black w/Mocha Nappa
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #32
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

now how does the new 8at compare to the dct? or did i just open up a bag of worms. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #33
RPM90
Major General
Rep

SL, great comments, thanks!

1.fresh, your id shows "6spd", but you have the 8spd AT, right?
Error I'm guessing.

Thanks for the comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
now how does the new 8at compare to the dct? or did i just open up a bag of worms. lol
That'll be interesting to read.
Maybe someone from a 135i DCT who's getting an F30 AT can comment.

I have driven the 7spd S4 DSG, and the sport AT felt just as quick up and down, and both were very smooth. Off the line maybe the 8spd AT was a tad smoother, but both test drives were really to short to put them both through their paces.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

i like the fact that when in manual mode it doesn't do the autostartstop...but i wish it had neutral in manual mode. and i didnt know you dont have to put it in P - just turn off the car.

at least bmw is the only company that has -/+ in the right direction. click down for upshift and click up for downshift due to body momentum during accel/decel....(why does mbz have it sideways?) next thing you gonna find is paddle shifter with + and the left and - on the right. at least the +/- on both paddles are gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #36
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
and i didnt know you dont have to put it in P - just turn off the car.
Even better - you can leave the selector to the left in manual mode and it pops back up and goes to P all by itself! Magic!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #37
lbahoshy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2014 Carrera S, 2023 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
I'll put my .02 in here, as everyone seems to enjoy it when I do that.

MT - belongs in Sportscars.

AT - everything else.

I'm okay with people who want an MT in their non sportscar (whether it be pickup truck, family sedan, Jeep, etc....). But my rule has become the above.

I'm also okay with people who want an AT in their sportscar (although, I think the majority of them are idiots for it).

Ummmm. Ferrari does not build any manual transmission cars anymore!

No clutch pedals in Formula 1 cars !

However , I do like the "connection" to the car offered by a MT.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
Ummmm. Ferrari does not build any manual transmission cars anymore!
This doesn't make them any better. It mostly just symbolized that the folks that can afford them never learned to drive manuals.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #39
Mrcarcrazy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
This doesn't make them any better. It mostly just symbolized that the folks that can afford them never learned to drive manuals.
Thank you, beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #40
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
if technology gives us paddles to shift faster than having a stick and at the same time has a clutch who would go for the stick?

i'm pretty sure formula 1 drivers know how to drive stick. no?

but they should get rid of AUTO mode at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #41
Mrcarcrazy
Rep

F1 is interested in the fastest....comparing F1 cars to street cars is almost as stupid as comparing apples to bricks.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #42
ThreeTwentyEightI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW right now :(

Manual until my left leg falls off.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
if technology gives us paddles to shift faster than having a stick and at the same time has a clutch who would go for the stick?

i'm pretty sure formula 1 drivers know how to drive stick. no?

but they should get rid of AUTO mode at least.

I can get places faster using a Segway, yet I still choose to walk. As for F1, they're gleaning 1/100's of seconds, and taking one less thing out of the driver's focus is seen as a good thing. Integrating the transmission and engine code also allows for tighter regulation in F1. We're talking about two different things, I don't know that anyone realistically ever confuses a 3er with an actual race car.

If F1 cars are your basis for what a daily driver should have, will you be removing the fenders from your 3er and converting to centerlocks?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #44
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcarcrazy View Post
F1 is interested in the fastest....comparing F1 cars to street cars is almost as stupid as comparing apples to bricks.
Both are red.
Appreciate 0