F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW 435, or Bmw 335? Also possible discounts?
proTUNING Freaks

05-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #1
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

BMW 435, or Bmw 335? Also possible discounts?

Ok so I'm new to this forum and have been a long time BMW fan. Currently I own a CLA 45 AMG, but I've been having mechanical issues with it (Control module Hydraulics unit etc etc.) So now I'm thinking of possibly switching to a BMW but first I have some question. My first question is which car is better handling wise etc? The Bmw 435 X Drive or the 335 X drive? Also are is it possible to get a discount when purchasing one, and if so how much? Final question is how's the reliability of the BMW's?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
Dan_335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport

Of course its possible for discounts. Visit some bmw dealers to get he best price. Not sure which car handles better but i assume its the 435i? I have a 2014 335i no issues with it for 6 months and 8000km. The issues are currently limp mode for the 335i. But i never even experianced it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

You should be able to get $500 - $750 over invoice on the 335i. I don't know how people are doing on the 4-series.

There's various discounts available at different times, ranging from $500 - $1500+ so you can end up at or under invoice when you include discounts. I think I got $500 off for BMW CCA, another $1000 for the Ultimate Drive event, and another $250 for loyalty program.

Last edited by chiefneil; 05-04-2014 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: typo: changed "off invoice" to "over invoice"
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: IS350 F Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty95 View Post
Ok so I'm new to this forum and have been a long time BMW fan. Currently I own a CLA 45 AMG, but I've been having mechanical issues with it (Control module Hydraulics unit etc etc.) So now I'm thinking of possibly switching to a BMW but first I have some question. My first question is which car is better handling wise etc? The Bmw 435 X Drive or the 335 X drive? Also are is it possible to get a discount when purchasing one, and if so how much? Final question is how's the reliability of the BMW's?
Funny. I'm looking to get rid of my BMW for reliability issues (engine, transmission, steering wheel vibration, build quality issues). Was actually looking at Mercedes. In my personal experience, comparing my F30 to friend's vehicles (Audi, MB, Lexus), I have had the worst reliability. My car has needed warranty repairs more times in one year that all the other combined. I have also noted that BMW's customer service has been the worst compared to the others. I might just have bad luck, but I think others should be aware.

For pricing, you should be able to get some discounts off MSRP (usually around $500 over invoice in USA) and whatever incentives BMW is offering.

Couldn't compare the 4 to the 3 in regards to handling, haven't driven the 4.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup o' Joe View Post
Funny. I'm looking to get rid of my BMW for reliability issues (engine, transmission, steering wheel vibration, build quality issues). Was actually looking at Mercedes. In my personal experience, comparing my F30 to friend's vehicles (Audi, MB, Lexus), I have had the worst reliability. My car has needed warranty repairs more times in one year that all the other combined. I have also noted that BMW's customer service has been the worst compared to the others. I might just have bad luck, but I think others should be aware.

For pricing, you should be able to get some discounts off MSRP (usually around $500 over invoice in USA) and whatever incentives BMW is offering.

Couldn't compare the 4 to the 3 in regards to handling, haven't driven the 4.
Kinda funny how our issues are similar. I've also had horrible customer service from MB. Basically they haven't been replying to my phone calls, emails, and they didn't give me a loaner (this part is the dealerships fault)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Kinda funny how our issues are similar. I've also had horrible customer service from MB. Basically they haven't been replying to my phone calls, emails, and they didn't give me a loaner (this part is the dealerships fault)
After my dealership had told me they wanted to buy back our car, they ignored me for months. When I finally called BMWNA (hoping customer service would help), and they had no idea my car had ever been repaired, and told me to just keep bringing it in.

I'm thinking of putting a giant window sticker on the rear glass that says "THIS CAR IS A LEMON" every time I bring it in for another warranty repair.

Do you own or lease? How do you plan on getting out of it?

Last edited by Cup o' Joe; 05-04-2014 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
After my dealership had told me they wanted to buy back our car, they ignored me for months. When I finally called BMWNA (hoping customer service would help), and they had no idea my car had ever been repaired, and told me to just keep bringing it in.

I'm thinking of putting a giant window sticker on the rear glass that says "THIS CAR IS A LEMON" every time I bring it in for another warranty repair.

Do you own or lease? How do you plan on getting out of it?
Damn that sucks, and you should do that actually. Would give BMW bad rep then they'd treat you better for sure.

I'm financing, and well I contacted MB Canada telling them everything that occured. Basically in the first month of owning the car the coolant leaked fully and I had to drive the car stopping every 3 minutes to let the engine cool because they couldn't get a tow for 3 days to pick it up, and I wasn't willing to leave my car in a parking lot for 3 days. Now 3 months later the car lost full acceleration, and traction control while driving it. (Luckily it didn't happen a few hours earlier when I was on the highway or else there'd probably have been a crash). So I took it to the dealership the next day, and turns out my Hydraulics unit broke. So they ordered parts. The next day they also call me saying that the control module also broke (They claim both these issues are manufacturer defects). So now I've been without a car for 2 weeks, and whenever they call me with a status update all they say is that "the parts are on order". So basically I told them all that, and I let MB Canada know that I just won't feel safe driving the car after all these issues so I'd like to return the car and get my money back. LIke it's a brand new car with a brand which is supposed to make high quality engines, and I've had 3 issues within 4 months of ownership and two of them being serious. Also who knows what else the control module breaking could have broke. (My guess is that the control module thing caused the Hydraulics unit to break).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
I have driven both and found the 435i handles better but that's in my opinion. But, I backed it up by getting a 435i xDrive. Discounts in Canada aren't the same as in the US where they get better discounts. However I found that there are end of month incentives for dealers and I have been able to get good discounts on my last two BMW's because of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Damn that sucks, and you should do that actually. Would give BMW bad rep then they'd treat you better for sure.

I'm financing, and well I contacted MB Canada telling them everything that occured. Basically in the first month of owning the car the coolant leaked fully and I had to drive the car stopping every 3 minutes to let the engine cool because they couldn't get a tow for 3 days to pick it up, and I wasn't willing to leave my car in a parking lot for 3 days. Now 3 months later the car lost full acceleration, and traction control while driving it. (Luckily it didn't happen a few hours earlier when I was on the highway or else there'd probably have been a crash). So I took it to the dealership the next day, and turns out my Hydraulics unit broke. So they ordered parts. The next day they also call me saying that the control module also broke (They claim both these issues are manufacturer defects). So now I've been without a car for 2 weeks, and whenever they call me with a status update all they say is that "the parts are on order". So basically I told them all that, and I let MB Canada know that I just won't feel safe driving the car after all these issues so I'd like to return the car and get my money back. LIke it's a brand new car with a brand which is supposed to make high quality engines, and I've had 3 issues within 4 months of ownership and two of them being serious. Also who knows what else the control module breaking could have broke. (My guess is that the control module thing caused the Hydraulics unit to break).
Those are serious safety concerns. I do not blame you for not wanting the vehicle back. Who's to know what else could go wrong, especially while you're driving.

I hope MB Canada can work it out for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 05:25 PM   #10
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Those are serious safety concerns. I do not blame you for not wanting the vehicle back. Who's to know what else could go wrong, especially while you're driving.

I hope MB Canada can work it out for you.
Ya, I'm especially worried that the breaking of the control module could have caused other parts to break since they weren't properly controlled thanks to it. (I think the Hydraulics unit broke thanks to it)

Also thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Cup o' Joe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Ya, I'm especially worried that the breaking of the control module could have caused other parts to break since they weren't properly controlled thanks to it. (I think the Hydraulics unit broke thanks to it)

Also thanks
I'm no mechanic, but hopefully the ones looking at your car will make sure nothing else was affected.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 02:47 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
You should be able to get $500 - $750 over invoice on the 335i. I don't know how people are doing on the 4-series.

There's various discounts available at different times, ranging from $500 - $1500+ so you can end up at or under invoice when you include discounts. I think I got $500 off for BMW CCA, another $1000 for the Ultimate Drive event, and another $250 for loyalty program.
I would try for 12% off MSRP for the 335
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:59 AM   #13
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Jake? Welcome to the dark side.

As far as reliability issues go, each individual car is different. I can only speak for my particular vehicle. I have now driven 1600 miles with absolutely no issues. From day one, I drove the car hard, paying little attention to BMW's recommended 1200 mile break-in period. I haven't experienced any random limp modes, CEL's, shakes or rattles. The OEM ppk tune has adapted nicely to the ECU over time.

Handling wise, I think it's common knowledge the coupe has less body roll given its lower COG. Performing power slides with all nannies turned off is cake work.

Test drive both the 4 and 3. There's still more backseat leg/head room in the 4 than the 45.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars

Last edited by auf Deutsch; 05-05-2014 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #14
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
It's how you are treated.

I was a quality consultant to the auto industry for many years. They all have outliers, ie vehicles that are so terrible to need the intervention of Customer Service. It is how you are treated which I think really influences your continued relationship with the brand. Personally I had an engine replaced in a E class, transmission replaced in a Audi, and two BMW outliers. BMW Customer Service was outstanding in helping me withe the cars, and I remain loyal to the brand. In fact I just picked up my eleventh BMW in Munich last week. It's a 435ix and is very different from the 335ix it replaces in both ride and handling. The car is taughter and seemingly better riding at high speed (it has the adaptive suspension).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I would try for 12% off MSRP for the 335
That might be possible in the US but almost impossible in Canada from what I've seen.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
olks
Rep
Drives: 335i xdrive

12% is possible in Toronto during year end
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #17
YeaG30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

Garage List
I think if you participate in the i3 driving events at the dealership you can get a voucher for money off a new vehicle purchase. I only overheard this while at the dealership this weekend for scheduled maintenance.
      05-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #18
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
Jake? Welcome to the dark side.

As far as reliability issues go, each individual car is different. I can only speak for my particular vehicle. I have now driven 1600 miles with absolutely no issues. From day one, I drove the car hard, paying little attention to BMW's recommended 1200 mile break-in period. I haven't experienced any random limp modes, CEL's, shakes or rattles. The OEM ppk tune has adapted nicely to the ECU over time.

Handling wise, I think it's common knowledge the coupe has less body roll given its lower COG. Performing power slides with all nannies turned off is cake work.

Test drive both the 4 and 3. There's still more backseat leg/head room in the 4 than the 45.
Wait a minute... Just realized you know my first name somehow haha. We're you on the CLA forums by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #19
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well just a update on whats up. Mercedes Customer support is useless and still haven't received word from them. Also the part that I need for my car was supposed to arrive in 5-10 days, and I called today and found out it's still in damn Germany after 13 days of not having my car! Damn Mercedes is so damn useless that they can't even ship a damn part! Truthfully now even if they don't return my damn money I'll take a hit and go to BMW or Audi, cause I want nothing to do with such a useless company
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:25 PM   #20
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Wait a minute... Just realized you know my first name somehow haha. We're you on the CLA forums by any chance?
The forum where you're a moderator...what a trader
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #21
Jehuty95
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
The forum where you're a moderator...what a trader
Haha ya I became a mod there cause I'm well liked etc and more mods were needed :P. Gonna be awkward if I end up owning a BMW and I'm still a mod there though haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #22
AppStoreMoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i M-Sport

I guess this applies to this thread: http://dougdemuro.jalopnik.com/germa...mer-1572026115
Appreciate 0