F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Coding help
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #1
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Garage List
I am from Melbourne and own a 2017 440i and still under warranty obviously. Has MPPSK and some BMW cosmetic upgrades, so the car is clean. I am really looking at coding (using bimmercode), not the sensitive stuff, just those options that are already present. I.e. fold mirrors automatically, show M instead of BMW when the display starts, start in ECO, etc.
my dealer is Melbourne BMW.
I have read a lot of posts and forums and nothing really paints the picture here in AUS. hoping some of you guys can help me out here
1. does it void warranty if I do these silly changes?
2. would the car call home automatically when OBD is plugged in and coding is done?
3. would the dealer find out and create a fuss?
4. any specific dealers in Melbourne who'd known to turn a blind eye to such things?
5. should i reset to stock before regular servicing?
6. any other suggestions you can provide would be much appreciated!

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 02:30 AM   #2
NBTBRV8
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCi E60 530i

I use Carly with their bluetooth adapter. Coding won't throw any error codes and without a technician visually picks up a change and can relate it to a failure, then it won't be an issue.
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      12-06-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBTBRV8 View Post
I use Carly with their bluetooth adapter. Coding won't throw any error codes and without a technician visually picks up a change and can relate it to a failure, then it won't be an issue.
appreciate it, Thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #4
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post
I am from Melbourne and own a 2017 440i and still under warranty obviously. Has MPPSK and some BMW cosmetic upgrades, so the car is clean. I am really looking at coding (using bimmercode), not the sensitive stuff, just those options that are already present. I.e. fold mirrors automatically, show M instead of BMW when the display starts, start in ECO, etc.
I have read a lot of posts and forums and nothing really paints the picture here in AUS. hoping some of you guys can help me out here
2. would the car call home automatically when OBD is plugged in and coding is done?
4. any specific dealers in Melbourne who'd known to turn a blind eye to such things?

cheers.
I added a paddle shift steering wheel to my 2016 X5.
I had 2 choices FDL or VO coding
FDL code it which is essentially changing one line of coding at a time this is ok on some thing minor item like show the M logo etc . The dealer will not pick this up unless there is an associated error with it which is very rare.
However in my case to use the paddle shift to it's full capability and have the extra mode settings in the gearbox I chose to VO code it which is essentially adding 2TB to the Vehicle Order and then bulk coding the various lines of coding in the relevant ECUs to make it work like it came out of the factory with it as standard.
This is a legitimate option on the X5 in Australia so I left this modification to my VO list unchanged and when it went for it's annual service the dealer picked up on it and reset the errors associated with the installation and recoding and told me all was good. All this information is also fed back to Munich as I downloaded a drivers guide and it now shows my car as having paddle shift and launch control which it never had before Nothing has ever been said to me about invalidating my warranty and I did have a warranty claim with an EGR valve after this modification which they honoured without question
TEGRITY616.50
      12-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #5
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKthePM View Post

cheers.
I added a paddle shift steering wheel to my 2016 X5.
I had 2 choices FDL or VO coding
FDL code it which is essentially changing one line of coding at a time this is ok on some thing minor item like show the M logo etc . The dealer will not pick this up unless there is an associated error with it which is very rare.
However in my case to use the paddle shift to it's full capability and have the extra mode settings in the gearbox I chose to VO code it which is essentially adding 2TB to the Vehicle Order and then bulk coding the various lines of coding in the relevant ECUs to make it work like it came out of the factory with it as standard.
This is a legitimate option on the X5 in Australia so I left this modification to my VO list unchanged and when it went for it's annual service the dealer picked up on it and reset the errors associated with the installation and recoding and told me all was good. All this information is also fed back to Munich as I downloaded a drivers guide and it now shows my car as having paddle shift and launch control which it never had before Nothing has ever been said to me about invalidating my warranty and I did have a warranty claim with an EGR valve after this modification which they honoured without question
Thanks for sharing this mate.. very comforting to know.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I’ve been “coding” since about 2013 with primarily Esys and I’ve looked after quite a few forum members over the years.

BTW its not actually coding, you’re just changing pre existing variables.

It really isn’t that big a deal and using Bimmercode is a piece of cake.

1. No
2. Not sure what you mean.
3. Wouldn’t even know.
4. Refer 3.
5. No, refer 3.
6. Just get it done, follow the instructions and you can’t go wrong. Refer to the cheat sheet in the coding section to see what can be done.

Have fun!

H
Appreciate 1
TEGRITY616.50
      12-09-2019, 03:10 AM   #7
TEGRITY
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I've been "coding" since about 2013 with primarily Esys and I've looked after quite a few forum members over the years.

BTW its not actually coding, you're just changing pre existing variables.

It really isn't that big a deal and using Bimmercode is a piece of cake.

1. No
2. Not sure what you mean.
3. Wouldn't even know.
4. Refer 3.
5. No, refer 3.
6. Just get it done, follow the instructions and you can't go wrong. Refer to the cheat sheet in the coding section to see what can be done.

Have fun!

H
Thanks mate, Really appreciate it! in regards to point 2, there were a few members on various forum mentioning that the car would immediately update BMW HQ or at least when the service guys run the diagnostics. but you guys have answered that pretty damn well!
Appreciate 0