F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F32 Driver door won't lock/unlock
Extreme Powerhouse

05-09-2024, 12:12 PM   #1
QueenCityLurker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2018 440i

F32 Driver door won't lock/unlock

Hi all,
I think I might have this figured out but wanted to post for folks to review my thoughts/diagnosis on this issue and sanity check me here.

Symptoms:
Driver side door will not lock/unlock with finger on handle.
Driver door will not lock/unlock using the key fob.
Only way to lock the driver door is using the physical key. Once the door is locked using the physical key, it cannot be unlocked with the key fob or the lock button on the dash. I have to open the passenger door, reach across and grab the driver side door handle from inside the car and then it will unlock.

Passenger door and trunk both lock/unlock fine using the key fob.
Passenger door will open via hand on the handle (Comfort Access functionality).

So I'm suspecting a faulty door actuator.
Is my thinking correct here? Am I missing anything? I checked all fuses and they all appear fine.

If it is the actuator, is it part #1 in the diagram? BMW part# 51217229461?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #2
lllRazorlll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

You would have to scan the car to know for sure if it is the actuator, but unfortunately this issue is common on F chassis cars. I had this issue myself on the passenger door.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:13 PM   #3
COSENT27
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 328i Xdrive

Sounds like it’s the door lock actuator. Had my passenger rear actuator go bad at around 130k miles. Coincidentally the same door my daughter has been using since she has been 3 years old .

Mine was a Very easy diy replacement.

Most important tool for the job is auto trim removal kit because you have to pop off the handle trim and don’t want to be gnarly that plastic. Got a kit off amazon for $10, well worth it if you’re planning to diy.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:56 AM   #4
Fisherman90
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive Sedan

Hey QueenCityLurker,

Sorry to hear about the trouble with your F32. It sounds like you've done some solid detective work already. Your diagnosis of a faulty door actuator seems spot on given the symptoms you described.

Since you've ruled out fuse issues, and considering that the passenger door and trunk are functioning normally, it does point toward a localized problem with the driver side door actuator. The fact that the door can only be locked manually and then requires an unconventional method to unlock further supports this.

As for the part number, BMW part# 51217229461 does indeed correspond to the door lock actuator for the F32. However, it's always a good idea to double-check with your local BMW dealership or trusted parts supplier to ensure compatibility and availability before making a purchase.

If you're comfortable with DIY repairs, replacing the actuator shouldn't be too difficult for someone with your level of automotive expertise. Just make sure to follow a detailed guide or watch some instructional videos to ensure a smooth process. And don't hesitate to reach out if you need any further assistance or advice along the way. Happy fixing!
Appreciate 0