F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Are new vapor barriers required when window regulators are serviced? ...water leak
proTUNING Freaks

11-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #1
eddymerckx3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive sport line

Are new vapor barriers required when window regulators are serviced? ...water leak

Had window regulators replaced (under factory warranty) on both front doors 12 months ago. Started experiencing the dreaded and all too familiar water leak about 6 months later, but leakage was minimal and hard to know if it was due to vapor barrier / sound insulation failure. Yet, the leakage has gotten bit worse, noticeable during car wash. Based on pics and reports in volumes of threads on this forum, it certainly appears leaks are likely failure of the vapor barrier / sound insulation (going to run water on window today with aim of tracing more precisely).

However, I am wondering if anyone knows whether BMW service protocols for window regulator replacement, requires install of new vapor barrier / sound insulation. Seems like you can’t remove the barrier without tearing it, which would then demand a replacement as part of the window regulator service. My service visit receipt when window regulators were replaced, only shows part #s for regulators, and no part #s for butyl tape or for vapor barrier / sound insulation. Has anyone been able to have their vapor barrier / sound insulation replaced under the BMW 24 month service warranty terms, after having the window regulators replaced?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #2
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Very much advised but not required if they take their time and remove correctly. I believe its more of a dealership policy than that of a corporate one.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Warming the existing (or replacement) butyl caulk & vapor barrier with a heat gun (or hair dryer) helps achieve better adhesion and easier removal to prevent tearing. I also use a wallpaper seam roller to get better stick. Haven't had to do this job on the F30 or F22 (yet!), but have replaced 6 window regulators in the 2000 E46 328i...
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #4
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddymerckx3 View Post
However, I am wondering if anyone knows whether BMW service protocols for window regulator replacement, requires install of new vapor barrier / sound insulation. Seems like you can’t remove the barrier without tearing it, which would then demand a replacement as part of the window regulator service. My service visit receipt when window regulators were replaced, only shows part #s for regulators, and no part #s for butyl tape or for vapor barrier / sound insulation. Has anyone been able to have their vapor barrier / sound insulation replaced under the BMW 24 month service warranty terms, after having the window regulators replaced?

Thanks!
NewTIS says the sound insulation is only replaced as needed. Not required to be replaced. I've removed it and put it back on many times on my vehicle and you don't need a new butyl rope either.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8243.00
      11-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Some cars use flimsy sheets of polyethylene plastic, which is virtually impossible to remove without destroying, but the BMW door liners are very robust.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I'm sure if they tore it they'd replace it.
Appreciate 0