F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Strange Pulsating Idle on N55
ARMA SPEED

11-22-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
halcyon_waves
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i M Sport 6MT

Strange Pulsating Idle on N55

It seems like this is a common issue, but figured I'd get some fresh opinions on this one.

The car: 2013 F30 335i 6MT 65k miles (used to have JB4, but removed it around 53k miles)

The problem: After a recent oil change I noticed when I immediately brought my car home that the engine sounded a bit different, slightly deeper, and I don't know if I am remembering correctly that the idle used to sit around 700 rpm and now is closer to 600. The car randomly pulsates and will sometimes do it consecutively where it's quite noticeable. There were a couple of occasions where I came to a stop and the car sounded like it was misfiring until I started driving again. All of these pulsations/misfirings don't cause any changes in rpm. I called my specialty shop and they said that without an engine code they really wouldn't be able to do too much. I know that sometimes there are hidden codes, but is it really worth bringing in if there is no check engine light? It's been bothering me quite a bit and I'm hoping it's not gonna lead to a bigger problem.

Thanks for all the input.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Get the car scanned for fault codes- peace of mind; possible no codes and all is OK.

The variable valve timing and variable valve lift mechanisms incorporated in these motors are good systems but not perfect. Small non-repeatable hiccups can be difficult to diagnose. Both of these systems must operate flawlessly to precisely control stable idle RPM.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:54 PM   #3
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 335i

Garage List
I noticed shaky idling as well on my car recently. I fixed it by tightening my BMW intake. One of the areas were loose. Afterward it's been behaving like normal on idle.

Keep in mind I do have quite a few mods on my car tho
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0