F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Photo Threads for F34 - 3 GT

Yesterday, 05:46 PM   #397
aleki75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive, 2016 335i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubu View Post
Ditched the halogens and Installed LED Park Lamps, DRLs, Lows, Fogs, and Reverse Lamps today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubu View Post
Ditched the halogens and Installed LED Park Lamps, DRLs, Lows, Fogs, and Reverse Lamps today...
Looks sharp! Could you list what products did you use and did you have to do anything else (i.e. Programming) upon installation.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 08:39 AM   #398
jubu
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 328i xDrive GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleki75 View Post
Looks sharp! Could you list what products did you use and did you have to do anything else (i.e. Programming) upon installation.
First, an update. For some reason one of the Low Beams just stopped working; it's for sure a bulb defect because I've checked the connections and the other LED and the halogens all work in that plug. So I'll be returning it and ordering a different set that was rated much higher on Amazon that I noted below.

I have not yet done any coding since I haven't had time to find where I put my wifi OBD unit, but will probably be doing the checks and bulb types when I do find it. No OBD errors after a 30-40 minute drive with the lights and fogs on, except for the burnt out low beam that seems to be a broken bulb and not a coding issue. Can't say if there's any flickering from warm checks, however--anyone know if warm checks without coding would result in errors? I haven't seen any--yet.

Here are the bulbs I used (a mix of eBay and Amazon purchases based on the various threads and blogs I've read):

Low Beams
Originally purchased these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As I mentioned above, one of the bulbs stopped working so I've ordered these which have far better reviews anyway:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fog Lamps
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Park Lamps and DRLs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Canbus-H...72.m2749.l2649

(this links to the "amber" set but I have the white) https://www.ebay.com/itm/PWY24W-SAMS...72.m2749.l2649

Reverse Lamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-Super-W...72.m2749.l2649
      Today, 09:13 AM   #399
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

There are three separate reasons for coding. One is to eliminate warnings of burnt out bulbs because the system doesn't detect the LED as being a bulb. The next is to prevent the lamps from blinking every few minutes. You won't know it's happening because you can't see the lights when you're driving. Everyone else will. The last is to change the voltage supplied to the bulbs from a pulsed DC to a constant DC by coding them 'is LED'. If you don't it will cause hyper flashing with some LEDs.
Quote:
I haven't had time to find where I put my wifi OBD unit
It's above and to the left of your left knee. If it was a snake it would have bit you every time you got into the car.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:19 AM   #400
jubu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
There are three separate reasons for coding. One is to eliminate warnings of burnt out bulbs because the system doesn't detect the LED as being a bulb. The next is to prevent the lamps from blinking every few minutes. You won't know it's happening because you can't see the lights when you're driving. Everyone else will. The last is to change the voltage supplied to the bulbs from a pulsed DC to a constant DC by coding them 'is LED'. If you don't it will cause hyper flashing with some LEDs.
It's above and to the left of your left knee. If it was a snake it would have bit you every time you got into the car.
Thanks for explaining--I'll be coding for sure then. As for what I meant when I didn't have time to find my OBD unit, I meant the actual wifi OBD unit I purchased online to do the coding via app; sometimes being too organized works against you and you actually have a harder time finding where you kept things.
      Today, 09:26 AM   #401
Billfitz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I keep mine in the small compartment on the lower left of the dashboard. That way I know where it is when I need it, which just happens to be less than a foot away from the port.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:43 PM   #402
jubu
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I keep mine in the small compartment on the lower left of the dashboard. That way I know where it is when I need it, which just happens to be less than a foot away from the port.
Good idea—I think I'll do just that. I found the unit earlier and did the coding; was incredibly easy. Now I just need to receive the new low beams and code them as well.