F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > DINANTRONICS Sport Tune for 340i
proTUNING Freaks

01-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

DINANTRONICS Sport Tune for 340i

Anyone out there have the DINANTRONICS Sport Tune (Part No. D440-0047) on a 340i?

Curious to see how you like it. Can you feel a noticeable increase in power/performance? Any glitches, issues, or horror stories?

I have a full DINAN cat back for the sound and don't have any plans to modify the car any further (don't want to mess with the downpipe, turbo, or intake). I'm considering a mild tune to get a little more power out of the engine since I know it's there. The sport tune is so cheap, just wondering if it's any good, because usually you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:24 AM   #2
les anderson
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i

It was brilliant on my n20 328i. There is no doubt it will make huge difference on a 340. You can also consider the jb+ which does the same exact thing.

You may experience times when the boost comes on a little strong and fast but generally speaking these little boxes do a good job and the drivability and personality of the car isn't negatively altered.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
It was brilliant on my n20 328i. There is no doubt it will make huge difference on a 340. You can also consider the jb+ which does the same exact thing.

You may experience times when the boost comes on a little strong and fast but generally speaking these little boxes do a good job and the drivability and personality of the car isn't negatively altered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post

Thanks for the info. The JB4 looks pretty good too, lots of power gains. I'm planning to keep everything else stock. Only thing holding me back if worrying about breaking something or the software messing up and causing me to breakdown somewhere. I'll have to do a little more research on the JB4, but looks promising.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
SÁpreme
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgraph View Post
Thanks for the info. The JB4 looks pretty good too, lots of power gains. I'm planning to keep everything else stock. Only thing holding me back if worrying about breaking something or the software messing up and causing me to breakdown somewhere. I'll have to do a little more research on the JB4, but looks promising.
I'd carefully compare the JB4 to the MHD flash tune. I think it's basically a wash cost-wise and flash tunes > piggyback in a few different ways. Make sure you do your research.
AG wheels & KW coilovers
Appreciate 1
OzBMR140.50

01-12-2020, 11:26 PM   #5
BradMacklin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sµpreme View Post
Quote:
I'd carefully compare the JB4 to the MHD flash tune. I think it's basically a wash cost-wise and flash tunes > piggyback in a few different ways. Make sure you do your research.
I'm in a similar position to OP, I've heard this is the case but do you care to elaborate key reasons why they are better for the specific models mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 11:36 PM   #6
SÁpreme
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMacklin View Post
I'm in a similar position to OP, I've heard this is the case but do you care to elaborate key reasons why they are better for the specific models mentioned?
I'm not even a shade tree mechanic so I'm probably not qualified to give a decent answer, but I can give you a quick and dirty answer. Piggyback tunes are limited because they can only adjust a few engine variables and can only do that by lying to the engine about certain sensor readings. Flash tunes interact directly with the ECU and remap in a much more comprehensive way, which is safer and provides more potential, especially if you continue to mod the car further. That being said, I've used the JB4 tune on two different platforms and had great results. It's a great quick way to get more power from the car - and for several years was the only tuning option for the B58 since the ECU hadn't been cracked yet.
But it is now, flash tunes are available, so if it were me, that's the route I'd go.
AG wheels & KW coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:30 AM   #7
OzBMR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SÁpreme View Post
Piggy back units, JB+, JB4 and similar adjust sensor readings e.g. boost sensors including intake and manifold boost sensors, intake temperature sensor etc. generally sending a lower than actual value to the DME/ECU. The DME/ECU will then apply more waste gate duty cycle or increase ignition timing in response, increasing boost, timing etc.

JB+ and similar units that plug into the intake boost sensor, only "bend" the boost sensor signal on the intake, so you'll get a boost curve that follows stock, but up to 4 PSI higher. With this you can sometimes have a feeling that the car is not as smooth especially under low load/throttle instances.

Flash tunes such as MHD/BM3 etc actually change tables in the ECU for boost, fuel and ignition timing (JB4 allows adjustment of fuel and timing by way of values added to whatever is in the ECU/DME programming)
With flash tunes you get a smoother, more natural response from the engine, the boost curve will be flatter (e.g. 16 PSI flat from 2600 RPM to 6000 RPM) and fuel and timing will generally be more optimized, making more power and torque.

Additional benefits of flash tunes include features such as controlling level of exhaust burbles, cold start noise reduction, top speed limiter removal, sport cooling modes for coolant, and with MHD, support for XHP (option to not "bend" the torque value to the auto gearbox) so gear changes and line pressures will be more accurate.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #8
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

This is all great info. Here I was thinking a piggy back was the safer option, but almost sounds like a flash tune is better on the car long term.

With a piggy back can you change between modes (basically turn it on or off on the fly)? I probably would just drive it normally (stock) 95% of the time, and if I wanted to goose it a little, I would switch it over to whatever sport+ mode there is on the piggy back tune. Can you do this on the fly or not really? I'm assuming you can with a flash tune like BM3?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #9
SÁpreme
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This is all great info. Here I was thinking a piggy back was the safer option, but almost sounds like a flash tune is better on the car long term.

With a piggy back can you change between modes (basically turn it on or off on the fly)? I probably would just drive it normally (stock) 95% of the time, and if I wanted to goose it a little, I would switch it over to whatever sport+ mode there is on the piggy back tune. Can you do this on the fly or not really? I'm assuming you can with a flash tune like BM3?
Actually the reverse. Switching between 'maps' on the fly is easier with a piggyback like JB4, can be done while driving. Reflashing back to stock mode is quick through the MHD wifi adapter, but the car needs to be parked, engine off, ignition on, accessories all turned off, etc. Only takes a few seconds once you're ready but it's definitely more involved than a jb4 map change.

All that being said, once you have a tune on the vehicle and experience it, I guarantee you won't want to drive the car stock. And honestly, no reason to. As long as you've tuned sensibly and are meeting all the mod requirements of the particular tune you're running, you can choose to drive the car reasonably 95% of the time and you won't be causing any unreasonable wear and tear. You don't need to roll back to stock to drive sedately.
Additionally, IMO that's what the driving mode selectors are for. Drive with your flash tune enabled, in Comfort, in D, at 50% throttle. The car will be a kitten.
Slap it into Sport+, Sport Drive, pound the pedal and she's a tiger for that quick giggity moment the other 5% of time.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
AG wheels & KW coilovers
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5

Quote:

I think the only flash tune that can do this currently is MG Flasher. But something to consider - I went with BM3 stage 1. No other mods. I picked up 60hp and 80tq. It felt great, no weird smells, i kept burbles off so it was nice a crisp experience. I drove it like that for a few weeks.

Then I scheduled a dealer visit. I flashed back to stock in preparation and, in the 10 or so miles that I drove there and back, I wanted to rip my eyes out. I couldn't wait to go back to the stage 1 flash.

So considering, I'd say there will be a rare scenario where most users truly want to flash back and forth like that. I've now done 2 dealer visits where I flash to stock and both times I hated it. Now that I'm done with the dealer I don't think I'll ever run the stock map again.

Imagine if your car had a lower hp option that you could turn on. Would you use that all the time, and just bump up to stock power 5% of the time?
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:21 PM   #11
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:

I think the only flash tune that can do this currently is MG Flasher. But something to consider - I went with BM3 stage 1. No other mods. I picked up 60hp and 80tq. It felt great, no weird smells, i kept burbles off so it was nice a crisp experience. I drove it like that for a few weeks.

Then I scheduled a dealer visit. I flashed back to stock in preparation and, in the 10 or so miles that I drove there and back, I wanted to rip my eyes out. I couldn't wait to go back to the stage 1 flash.

So considering, I'd say there will be a rare scenario where most users truly want to flash back and forth like that. I've now done 2 dealer visits where I flash to stock and both times I hated it. Now that I'm done with the dealer I don't think I'll ever run the stock map again.

Imagine if your car had a lower hp option that you could turn on. Would you use that all the time, and just bump up to stock power 5% of the time?
I guess what I meant by switching back to stock was switching to the stock map for long road trips when I want a smooth and comfortable ride. I've read that some of the cheaper Dinan tunes (like the sport) are not smooth in some cases when trying to just drive normal. But with the JB4 it sounds like you can switch between maps on the fly so it shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
Fuel-It!
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

The Dinan tune is very similar to the JB+ in terms of power. The main difference is that it costs a lot more but includes a gap warranty in case BMW denies anything under the factory warranty. The technical differences between JB+/Dinan and JB4 are covered in the FAQ.
Appreciate 0