F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Front end collision (tear warning)
ARMA SPEED

11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #1
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel of my pride and joy. Thankfully no one was hurt and I am choosing not to go through insurance because well honestly I would rather junk the car then hit insurance up. No tickets were issued bless that officer. But my big question is: how bad would replacing airbags and the cooling system be? Id take the airbags to a great mechanic of course and as far as the cooling is concerned my own garage should be suitable. The tow hitch of the truck went straight into the coolant tank. Ive attached some photos, and yes they are pretty gruesome. I ran some numbers and they dont look great... around $8k MINIMUM in parts? Is that really so for airbags? Again insurance is not an option I would literally rather trash the car.
Also yes an officer did come and issue the police report+insurance slip.
Ive also called around a few shops and sent pictures they are saying its not worth fixing. I just want to be sure before I get rid of her. I would love to make this car a project and restore it.
Attached Images

11-18-2019, 09:11 AM   #2
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

Relatively new car. Was the driver licensed? Is that driver cited on the police report? I don't understand why you wouldn't use insurance?
      11-18-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
Relatively new car. Was the driver licensed? Is that driver cited on the police report? I don't understand why you wouldn't use insurance?
Yes the driver is licensed but my insurance rates are crazy high and I want insurance as an absolute last resort..
      11-18-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrmdoom View Post
Yes the driver is licensed but my insurance rates are crazy high and I want insurance as an absolute last resort..
Unless the other vehicle sustained absolutely zero damage, the occupants are claiming absolutely zero injury, and the other party has not contacted any insurance companies at all you already have an insurance claim open with either your insurer or the other parties insurer (they're going to subrogate against your insurance company). Unless all of these things are true, it really doesn't make sense to not pursue an insurance claim. It sucks, but it is what it is.

I see youre in Detroit. Yes, your insurance rates are insane in the Detroit area! Completely insane. I was just there for work two weeks ago (I work in the industry).

Do you own the car outright?

Last edited by Chihuahua; 11-18-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Quote:
Unless the other vehicle sustained absolutely zero damage, the occupants are claiming absolutely zero injury, and the other party has not contacted any insurance companies at all you already have an insurance claim open with either your insurer or the other parties insurer (they're going to subrogate against your insurance company). Unless all of these things are true, it really doesn't make sense to not pursue an insurance claim. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Do you own the car outright?
Thats exactly what happened. The car hit a work truck, no one was injured, the other guys car had literally no damage expect maybe light scratches which he wasnt worried about, and nobody was injured. This happened at around 31 mph and i heard somewhere that if it was under 30 the airbags may not have deployed. Either way all of these things are true and im trying to save the car
      11-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

I don’t understand paying for insurance and not using it, regardless of the rate.
Appreciate 3
amancuso723.00
Wires1636.50
      11-18-2019, 09:56 AM   #7
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Start by shopping for headlights and their associated modules to see how far your 8k budget goes.

Nice mess you've gotten yourself into.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I heard insurance rate go up for 3 years....after an accident... do you think you can get away with it if you don't use insurance. Can you calculate how much you going to spend to repair the car VS an increase on insurance premium for 3 years?

If you used a body shop isn't they are obligated to report to DMV especially this extensive of the damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I heard insurance rate go up for 3 years....after an accident... do you think you can get away with it if you don't use insurance. Can you calculate how much you going to spend to repair the car VS an increase on insurance premium for 3 years?

If you used a body shop isn't they are obligated to report to DMV especially this extensive of the damage.
In my state you are required to report to dmv damages over $1500 I believe
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Too many things in this story are sketchy. Inexperienced driver, not wanting to use insurance. If i was betting, i'd say OP inst being 100% forthcoming
Appreciate 3
tuco44644.00
Wires1636.50
      11-18-2019, 10:34 AM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
I let an inexperienced driver get behind the wheel of my pride and joy. Thankfully no one was hurt and I am choosing not to go through insurance because well honestly I would rather junk the car then hit insurance up. No tickets were issued bless that officer. But my big question is: how bad would replacing airbags and the cooling system be? Id take the airbags to a great mechanic of course and as far as the cooling is concerned my own garage should be suitable. The tow hitch of the truck went straight into the coolant tank. Ive attached some photos, and yes they are pretty gruesome. I ran some numbers and they dont look great... around $8k MINIMUM in parts? Is that really so for airbags? Again insurance is not an option I would literally rather trash the car.
Also yes an officer did come and issue the police report+insurance slip.
Ive also called around a few shops and sent pictures they are saying its not worth fixing. I just want to be sure before I get rid of her. I would love to make this car a project and restore it.
As police report was made, Insurance will find out out about it anyway. Doesn't take a ticket. Police Reports are public record.

What year/model/miles?

Rule of thumb....if airbags went off, it's totaled in most cases.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
Cherry2.0
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I don't understand the "take the airbags to a mechanic". Airbags aren't meant to be reused. They are meant to be replaced. Also, if airbags deployed and with that amount of damage, your 8k won't get you much of anything. As others have said, price out legit BMW headlights. Also, I don't think it is a matter of just replacing the cooling system, you are looking at all the support for said cooling system and everything directly behind it. If you have the cash on hand to make these repairs, why not go through your insurance and just deal with the rate hike?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:44 AM   #13
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

Yeah you're going to pay a lot more out of pocket now than you will over 3 years of insurance increases. Maybe your insurance goes up $100/mo, (which would be like 100% of mine) but I can't imagine it going up more than that... That's only $3600. You're going to pay 8-10k for this EASY. ALL DAY! $1000+/ PER HEADLIGHT alone.
Otherwise you're going to cut corners and get a "cheap" repair. It'll never be the same.
Just shop around for insurance in another year or two...

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:02 AM   #14
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Too many things in this story are sketchy. Inexperienced driver, not wanting to use insurance. If i was betting, i'd say OP inst being 100% forthcoming
How so? The driver had a provisional. You are assuming
      11-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Guys I think OP is trying to protect the uninsured driver. Let's stop suggesting using his insurance to cover the losses here; whatever his reasons are, he knows them best.

OP, if I was you, I wouldn't get the airbags "repaired". You can get them replaced, but even then you run a massive risk; the car's structural integrity has been severely compromised and getting a cheap out of pocket repair is not something I would ever opt for.

I honestly think you are better off buying a new car than trying to repair this. If insurance is a no-go then this is better off junked.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #16
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Guys I think OP is trying to protect the uninsured driver. Let's stop suggesting using his insurance to cover the losses here; whatever his reasons are, he knows them best.

OP, if I was you, I wouldn't get the airbags "repaired". You can get them replaced, but even then you run a massive risk; the car's structural integrity has been severely compromised and getting a cheap out of pocket repair is not something I would ever opt for.

I honestly think you are better off buying a new car than trying to repair this. If insurance is a no-go then this is better off junked.
Well if it was clear before, i never ever had plans to repair the airbags. Didnt even know that was a thing..i would be getting brand new genuine bmw parts if i were to proceed with this from getbmwparts dot com. I never ever even considered repairing the airbags post deployment.
      11-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #17
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post

Well if it was clear before, i never ever had plans to repair the airbags. Didnt even know that was a thing..i would be getting brand new genuine bmw parts if i were to proceed with this from getbmwparts dot com. I never ever even considered repairing the airbags post deployment.
My bad. I think I was misremembering some other post from reddit. I should have scrolled up and re-read yours.

Cheers, and excellent call.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:22 PM   #18
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineX View Post
Start by shopping for headlights and their associated modules to see how far your 8k budget goes.

Nice mess you've gotten yourself into.
Pretty rude. Anyone could find themselves in this situation
      11-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #19
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Your situation was a bad choice. Most of is have made bad choices before. You asked for people's opinions of yours. If you are trying to keep your friend out of trouble because he was unlicensed, or if you carried liability coverage only, or if there is another reason... who knows
Appreciate 1
JDTX66.00
      11-18-2019, 01:10 PM   #20
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your situation was a bad choice. Most of is have made bad choices before. You asked for people's opinions of yours. If you are trying to keep your friend out of trouble because he was unlicensed, or if you carried liability coverage only, or if there is another reason... who knows
I might just make an insurance claim and f this kids insurance for life just to spite you.
      11-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #21
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I might just make an insurance claim and f this kids insurance for life just to spite you.
I can't think of many situations of this severity where there is a legit option B.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 01:21 PM   #22
gabrmdoom
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I can't think of many situations of this severity where there is a legit option B.
Its not. But you are a rude troll