F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Traction Control Icon keeps showing up randomly while drivign
GetBMWParts

01-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330 M Sport

Smile Traction Control Icon keeps showing up randomly while drivign

Hey guys,

Wierd thing has been happening to me, it started a few months ago on and off.

I found it to be really strange because I changed out all my tires to brand new DWS contis and 245/40/18's they drive great on the car btw.

Driving down the street in a straight line sometimes random who knows, the traction control light comes on repeatedly as if the car is loosing traction but everything seems to be fine my handling is fine I feel no slippage and the tires are brand new with great grip. Not to mention its not wet outside.

I cant quite figure out why it keeps doing that and what are some things I can do or some tips of what it could be.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #2
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by imkash View Post
Hey guys,

Wierd thing has been happening to me, it started a few months ago on and off.

I found it to be really strange because I changed out all my tires to brand new DWS contis and 245/40/18's they drive great on the car btw.

Driving down the street in a straight line sometimes random who knows, the traction control light comes on repeatedly as if the car is loosing traction but everything seems to be fine my handling is fine I feel no slippage and the tires are brand new with great grip. Not to mention its not wet outside.

I cant quite figure out why it keeps doing that and what are some things I can do or some tips of what it could be.

Thanks
Um, are you under hard acceleration during these times?

And did you ever think that you're not getting slippage b/c the traction control is intervening?...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My friend I dont think of these things because Ive had the car for almost 3 years and never had this problem nor with any of my other bimmers.

So something has to be going on. No hard acceleration.

PS Traction control is not that fast its fast but not fast enough for you not to feel the slippage before it catches it self. Usually when you see that traction light you feel the slip. it might be a 10th of a second but you feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

And did you ever think that you're not getting slippage b/c the traction control is intervening?...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I would also have said "check your tires", but I have those same tires on my 435-xdrive and even under hard acceleration from a dead stop on wet roads I've hardly ever seen my traction control light come on. I think I'd have it checked out by the dealer.

I've had x-drive on 5 BMWs since 2007 and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the traction control light up.

good luck
      01-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #5
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks I will probably have to do that. Cause cant really figure it out lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I would also have said "check your tires", but I have those same tires on my 435-xdrive and even under hard acceleration from a dead stop on wet roads I've hardly ever seen my traction control light come on. I think I'd have it checked out by the dealer.

I've had x-drive on 5 BMWs since 2007 and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen the traction control light up.

good luck
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Could be a faulty wheel speed sensor giving a false alert to kick it on. Be careful because if it's applying the brakes to one wheel while you're driving it could end up making the car do something unexpected.

Maybe try to pinpoint and see if it comes on more often when driving over bumps/potholes on one side or the other?
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #7
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Could be a faulty wheel speed sensor giving a false alert to kick it on. Be careful because if it's applying the brakes to one wheel while you're driving it could end up making the car do something unexpected.

Maybe try to pinpoint and see if it comes on more often when driving over bumps/potholes on one side or the other?
Sounds like it makes perfect sense and would likely be the problem. Would bmw Fix this issue for sure and free???

I will definitely have them drive it and see what's up

Thanks so much
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      01-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Would bmw Fix this issue for sure and free???
Yes if it's under Warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 06:38 AM   #9
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Brand New DWS Cont's and car still sliding in light snow

I have an alignment I have four New continental dws 06 Tire's on. Yet today it snows and little and I'm about to do a fish tail in the condo parking lot. Seems pretty odd and I had this car since few years back bought it New. And didn't slide in inches with stock tires. so why is it sliding on me now?

Very puzzled and not feeling confident in the snow today ??

Snow >1
Me >nail
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:20 AM   #10
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
I have an alignment I have four New continental dws 06 Tire's on. Yet today it snows and little and I'm about to do a fish tail in the condo parking lot. Seems pretty odd and I had this car since few years back bought it New. And didn't slide in inches with stock tires. so why is it sliding on me now?

Snow >1
Me >nail
Those tires suck. Are they winter tires? Stick with BMW star tires and then shop tire rack for tires with similar or better specs on handling, treadwear, etc. It didn't slide before because the tires were better.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:

Snow >1
Me >nail
Those tires suck. Are they winter tires? Stick with BMW star tires and then shop tire rack for tires with similar or better specs on handling, treadwear, etc. It didn't slide before because the tires were better.
The tires suck? 80 percent of people use 68 percent of people use dws 06 tires when it comes to fall/winter seasons

I wouldn't blame the tires

I had an e90 328 rwd that had no problems in the winter with dws 06' on them aswell
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
Niart906
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2003 M3

Keep in mind our cars have BMW's newest gen of traction control that is meant to be proactive rather than reactive like older BMWs. So for example if you are in comfort mode and the car sees inputs that lead it to believe it will slip, it will activate the traction control and display the light. You may not feel the slip.

That said, your car is under warranty. Bring it to a dealer and be done with it.
      04-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
HRF30
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive

VinceChase- I experience something similar today. While driving today in comfort mode (first drive of the day), the car suddenly started throwing traction control light and limited me to 2000RPM. I put the car in ECO mode and everything was back to normal. These are not new tires but are in a good shape.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #14
vincechase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRF30 View Post
VinceChase- I experience something similar today. While driving today in comfort mode (first drive of the day), the car suddenly started throwing traction control light and limited me to 2000RPM. I put the car in ECO mode and everything was back to normal. These are not new tires but are in a good shape.
Did you ever figure out what the issue was?
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks guys.
Dude, they told me it was a sensor problem that reeads when to add traction. Said they fixed it and all.

Still till today I get it randomly. I give up, lease is up in july. Getting a jeep, till x4 M comes out lol
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #15
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Brand new tires will be a lot more slippery until they have time to heat cycle and shed any coatings they may have from the factory. This is hugely prevalent in the motorcycle world, I will never forget riding on fresh rubber the first time, it was practically like skating.

I had this same random TC engagement after installing my new WS80's in the beginning of Winter. TC was popping off sometimes randomly cruising on the highway for a couple weeks until settling down. My PS4S also were not nearly as grippy until they had a few hundred miles on them. I suspect TC learns the expected grip of the tire over time, it would explain why jumping from sticky summer rubber to new winters caused it to kick in so often.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 11:36 PM   #16
Catalyst989
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i xdrive gran coupe, e38

Any updates with this post? Just leased a 440i xdrive gran coupe and have been having similar issues. On cold start, after reversing up my driveway, the traction control light flashes upon after accelerating forward (normal acceleration, not hard). I also hear clicking noises from the driver side footwell, similar sound to the traction control engaging the brakes. If the car is in eco pro mode, the car will briefly stutter while traction control light comes on. Won't happen again until the next day after the car has fully cooled down. Dealer has been attempting to diagnose it for 3 days now, can't find out what's wrong with it.
I have the pirelli cinturatos on it from the dealer, front left tire has less miles then the rest but at most a couple thousand miles less.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #17
eksigned
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 4er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Brand new tires will be a lot more slippery until they have time to heat cycle and shed any coatings they may have from the factory. This is hugely prevalent in the motorcycle world, I will never forget riding on fresh rubber the first time, it was practically like skating.

I had this same random TC engagement after installing my new WS80's in the beginning of Winter. TC was popping off sometimes randomly cruising on the highway for a couple weeks until settling down. My PS4S also were not nearly as grippy until they had a few hundred miles on them. I suspect TC learns the expected grip of the tire over time, it would explain why jumping from sticky summer rubber to new winters caused it to kick in so often.
i thought i would comment on this here. i can attest to this comment as well. i replaced my rears with PS4S's as well. Fronts still had about 60% with the rears being done. Traction light comes on with any sort of cornering. In SoCal, the car with the tires were fine, presumably because of the heat. replaced the tires in Seattle here and i'm noticing this issue once again, as I did originally with the michelin SS tires on a different platform. that's a really good point about the tires and the traction control "adjusting" to each other.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 04:24 AM   #18
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Don't want to alarm anyone on here, but I had traction light come on with mine randomly going straight on a 428xi. I didn't think much of it, then it turned into a chassis stabilization code, and my transfer case failing was the final cause. I was lucky it reared its head at 49,500 miles (phew) but it looked identical to OP's issue before it ever threw the code, and it didn't seem to drive any different before that.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:09 AM   #19
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
Don't want to alarm anyone on here, but I had traction light come on with mine randomly going straight on a 428xi. I didn't think much of it, then it turned into a chassis stabilization code, and my transfer case failing was the final cause. I was lucky it reared its head at 49,500 miles (phew) but it looked identical to OP's issue before it ever threw the code, and it didn't seem to drive any different before that.
Consider me alarmed. My traction light pops on occasionally if I'm accelerating hard. Tranny seems like it might be slipping some to me too. Engine revving higher but car not pulling as hard. I came here to see if that was OP's problem as well
      01-27-2024, 03:50 PM   #20
bimmer trousers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 435i X Drive 2015

Hey Guys I am having a very similar situation… so my 2015 435i x drive under 60k miles start throwing traction control on and sending it to 2000 ramps and above and stays there until stopping. Took it to a euro shop and said it was an ICM problem… 2,500 dollars later problem is still occurring.
All four tires are the same. Alignment has been done. And sensors are in place. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:23 PM   #21
rusty_sojah
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post

This was my first thought, maybe he is under hard acceleration
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2024, 06:39 PM   #22
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Might be:

- Front Diff going
- Transfer Case going
- Wheel speed sensor