F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Two weeks owner, impressions and questions
Studio RSR

09-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i modern line

Two weeks owner, impressions and questions

It has been 2 weeks and ~400 miles since I got my 328i. Never seen over 4000 rpm as suggested but still it feels fast. My fuel economy is 25 mpg mixed (60% freeway) which is double of my Jeep ALmost nobody likes the oyster gauges but I like looking at them especially at night. The amber lights had a really nice glare on light colored gauges.

When I read the comments about many people driving on sport mode all the time I was surprised but man sport and comfort are like day and night. If I didn`t know how it works I could have swore that the generated more power at sports mode. Also with the adaptive suspension the car feels very solid in sport mode.

Now not so good parts and questions.

1- The car is very comfortable when going over pot holes. However, the ride is very bumpy when there is small frequent surface imperfections such as bad slab connection. The cars almost feels like it is vibrating.

2- On rough surfaces the road noise is a little high.

3- The down shifts are sometimes annoyingly hard. I feel like somebody is pushing the brake. This happens usually when I was applying very small amount of brake.

4- There is wind noise over 70mph. I can`t hear with raio on but when I turn it off I can easily hear it. May be it is normal. Actually not a big deal.

5- The door does jumps back when I try to coles it slowly. The dealer told it is airtight so the last door needs be closed hard. He was right if another door is open it closes easily.

6- When I got the car odometer ws showing 6 miles but the trip computer shows 11 miles. May be the odometer activated after a test drive or something like that. I found it interesting.

7-Does DS makes any difference in sport mode. I guess sport mode already changes the shift points so if I put in sport and tahn put in DS is it double sport

8- The comfort access is amazing. A small tip for the people who can not open the trunk with their feet. The sensor is not under the bumper actually it is behind the bumber. So if you push your feet behind the bumper slightly it will work every time. No need to kick or do fast thing a slow movement takes care of it.

And finally couple pictures of my beauty.
Attached Images

09-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

Good write up, and yes mine does the thing with the doors where you have to slam them.

Nice looking car by the way! Any chance of an interior picture?

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

What happened to the windows moving down slightly when door was opened or closed? My 135 did that and lessened the pressure to shut the doors.

And the wind noise is minor. Mine is very quiet at speed.
      09-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
gnosis8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayir View Post
Never seen over 4000 rpm as suggested but still it feels fast.
Feel free to take it to the 4500 rpm break-in limit, and then edit your original post if you feel that it's even faster than you originally reported.
      09-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
What happened to the windows moving down slightly when door was opened or closed? My 135 did that and lessened the pressure to shut the doors.

And the wind noise is minor. Mine is very quiet at speed.
My Z4 did that too. I think it is only for frameless windows but it would be nice to have.

Yesterday my mother tried to close the door 3 times and wasn`t successfull. I told her to close pull it harder. While she was pulling my wife opened the the other door
      09-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
My Z4 did that too. I think it is only for frameless windows but it would be nice to have.

Yesterday my mother tried to close the door 3 times and wasn`t successfull. I told her to close pull it harder. While she was pulling my wife opened the the other door
Only frameless windows: coupes, convertibles and such.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #7
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

First, it's a beautiful ride! Congrats and good luck!

Second, I'm a beginner compared to many on this forum, but my humble thoughts to your items:
1) Is the car in comfort-mode? The ride is smoother than sport but then feeling the road is a key tenant of a BMW.
2) Thank the run-flat tires.
3) Sounds like you may have it in Manual/Sport mode. I got a MT, so need an 8-speed reader to comment.
4) There's a thread on wind noise but I have not heard it.
5) I saw this in my E90's too. Then I got in a friend's S-class MB last week and the door closed itself when I didn't slam it shut!! Neat. But BMW needs a bit of effort to close. Hey! Even when you slam it, it sounds solid...not hollow like a tin can.
6) Hmmm. Will look in 2015 when I pick up a new car.
7) Sorry, a MT guy. Gotta get someone with the 8-speed to comment.
8) Need to try this. My testing (and manual) shows you gotta pass under the bumper, but will try tomorrow.

Did I say it's a great looking car? Real nice. Good pix!
      09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshubert View Post
First, it's a beautiful ride! Congrats and good luck!

Second, I'm a beginner compared to many on this forum, but my humble thoughts to your items:
1) Is the car in comfort-mode? The ride is smoother than sport but then feeling the road is a key tenant of a BMW.
2) Thank the run-flat tires.
3) Sounds like you may have it in Manual/Sport mode. I got a MT, so need an 8-speed reader to comment.
4) There's a thread on wind noise but I have not heard it.
5) I saw this in my E90's too. Then I got in a friend's S-class MB last week and the door closed itself when I didn't slam it shut!! Neat. But BMW needs a bit of effort to close. Hey! Even when you slam it, it sounds solid...not hollow like a tin can.
6) Hmmm. Will look in 2015 when I pick up a new car.
7) Sorry, a MT guy. Gotta get someone with the 8-speed to comment.
8) Need to try this. My testing (and manual) shows you gotta pass under the bumper, but will try tomorrow.

Did I say it's a great looking car? Real nice. Good pix!
Thank you for the comments.
1) This happens in comofrt mode. Actually the sport is not that disturbing on these kind of frequent imperfections since the car settles down before hitting the new one. But in comfort the car didnt have enough time to settle down so it is like a resonance thing IMO.
3) No it is in D and it happens in all modes comfort, eco pro, sport. I will need some comments from AT users as you mentioned. May be I need to take it to dealer. My Jeeps downshifts are much smoother than BMW which is weird.
8) That is exactly what I try to mean you need to completely pass under the bumper. Just strechthing under the bumper is not enough.

I see that you also got an imperial blue. I like the color more everyday.
      09-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarvey View Post
Good write up, and yes mine does the thing with the doors where you have to slam them.

Nice looking car by the way! Any chance of an interior picture?
I will take and post them when I get a chance. Hopefully this weekend.
      09-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Hi, the car looks great - black with the modern interior is the best combo I think. As to the points you raised:
  1. Yes you do get a bit of bump-thump on some road surfaces, I put it down to the firm suspension and RFTs, but I don't get any vibration as such.
  2. Agreed, there's a fair bit of road noise, although I can confirm when driving on a very smooth section of new road over here in the UK (a rarity!) the road noise does almost disappear.
  3. I have the 8 speed Sport Auto and I can't get 'hard' downshifts unless I push the gear lever over into manual mode and use the paddles aggressively. In fully automatic Eco Pro and Comfort modes the change is barely noticeable and only in Sport/Sport+ it does get firmer, but it's never harsh in mine.
  4. You're right about the wind noise. In mine it's from around the wing mirrors and I just figure that's a design issue. Usually the tyre noise from our rubbish road surfaces drowns it out though
  5. I've noticed the door 'jump back' thing on one or two other cars I've owned, and agree as to the cause. Not something I've experienced on this car though... maybe my door seals aren't that good
  6. No idea about the odometer difference unfortunately.
  7. Are you talking about putting the car in Sport mode via the Driving Dynamics switch and then pushing the gear stick over to 'S' at the same time? As far as I'm aware that lets you override automatic upshifts when using the paddles (or shifting with the stick itself).
  8. Sadly I didn't get Comfort Access. Had it on my E81 and really miss it now.
Anyway, hope you're continuing to enjoy the car

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
reidpath
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Fuel Economy - I just did a couple of 400+ mile trips on mixed roads, mostly blue sign interstate but some white sign roads as well that have stoplights every 15-20 miles at different towns. I hit between 35-37 mpg on each of those trips riding in eco-pro the whole time, average speed at 65mph. I did keep it set at 75 on the cruise to avoid going out of eco-pro mode. A note there, if I did need some pickup I just bumped the shifter to D/S mode and passed or accelerated to avoid the slightly longer lag from the ECOPRO kickdown.

1- Same experience for me

2- I am interested to see how this changes for me when I put my winter tires on.

3- I completely agree, I find that it is most noticeable at lower speeds, slightly in comfort mode, and dramatically in sport mode. I am surprised about it in comfort mode, b/c in sport mode it feels like it would in a 6spd MT if you let you foot off the gas in first gear which makes sense. I want that in sport mode, but don't really see that it should be necessary in comfort mode.

4- I have a bike rack on my car, so there is a little extra wind noise anyway.

5- I noticed the same thing, it used to scare me slamming doors but when I saw the dealer doing that on all doors, it didn't bother me.

7- D/S lets you use the paddle shifters (if you have them) and will keep it in manual mode instead of just being temporary if you had it in D. Note where I use D/S above in ECOPRO sometimes to get the more aggressive shift points.

8- I am going to go try this, the trunk comfort access alludes me still, I can't get it to work right.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidpath View Post

3- I completely agree, I find that it is most noticeable at lower speeds, slightly in comfort mode, and dramatically in sport mode. I am surprised about it in comfort mode, b/c in sport mode it feels like it would in a 6spd MT if you let you foot off the gas in first gear which makes sense. I want that in sport mode, but don't really see that it should be necessary in comfort mode.

7- D/S lets you use the paddle shifters (if you have them) and will keep it in manual mode instead of just being temporary if you had it in D. Note where I use D/S above in ECOPRO sometimes to get the more aggressive shift points.
Yes it is exactly what you decribed. It is happening at low speeds and usually while shifting from 3 to 2. It is exactly like you suddenly take your foot off the gas.It si accaptable in sport mode but not what I expect in comfort mode as you said.

I think I need to clarify the DS question. When I pull the joystick to left it displays DS on the screen (instead of D). I don`t move it up or down so it does not go into manual mode. It stays in DS (which I assume S stands for sport) The shift points move up in this mode and it does not go into 8 even in eco pro mode. Eco pro tips tells you to put it in D for more savings. Anyways so it is not manual mode it is not D mode. It is the DS mode which is the sport mode for transmission.

The question is
I put the vehicle in sport mode using the driving dynamics button. The shift points move up and it does not shift into 8. so just for transmission Is it the same thing with DS or if I put the vehicle in sport mode and put the transmission in DS will I get a sportier setup?
      09-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
reidpath
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
The question is
I put the vehicle in sport mode using the driving dynamics button. The shift points move up and it does not shift into 8. so just for transmission Is it the same thing with DS or if I put the vehicle in sport mode and put the transmission in DS will I get a sportier setup?
From my messing around with it, D/S puts the transmission ONLY in sport mode. Putting the vehicle in sport with the button will change the vehicle to both transmission and suspension sport mode (if you have adaptive M, and have both boxes checked in iDrive).

So my non-expert answer to your question...D/S mode and Sport mode does not give any sportier of a transmission than D/S or Sport mode (with transmission selected) would give you by themselves.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Micleg
iX1 2022
Rep
Drives: iX1 msport, 520d F11 X08

I think number 3 is the generator in the car kicking in to charge the battery when you give the car a hint of braking or deceleration. "Free energy."
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #15
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micleg View Post
I think number 3 is the generator in the car kicking in to charge the battery when you give the car a hint of braking or deceleration. "Free energy."
Interesting point. I was always thinking it is due to the downshift. I will observe more carefully but I don`t give much chance because when going at 70 mph I hit the brake until it slows down to 20-25 mph it is smooth. Then this thing happens.
      09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
kyle.c
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30

I am guessing you have the luxury line right? If this makes you feel bumpy, I wonder what will happen in sport line....I am planning on getting either of those, any thoughts? (I want to keep my spine)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Interesting point. I was always thinking it is due to the downshift. I will observe more carefully but I don`t give much chance because when going at 70 mph I hit the brake until it slows down to 20-25 mph it is smooth. Then this thing happens.
This trans does stay locked to the engine very well.
So much so that coming to a complete stop softly is nearly impossible, and that's been my experience when test driving 328's and 335's.
My 335i is the same.
Makes me wonder if idle is set too high. This is my first AT in years.
Smooth stops with MT are a no brainer.

I just had an E90 328xi with auto, and coming to a stop in that car is much much smoother. Simply apply the brakes and smoothly modulate until stopped. In my 335i, no matter how smooth I am with the brakes the car always comes to a stop in much less than smooth fashion, with the car rocking once of twice fore and aft. I'm getting used to it, but it's annoying to have to concentrate that much on trying to come to a smooth stop.

I think part of this hard stop feeling is that the F30 springs are softer, even though I have the adaptive suspension which has sport springs.
After driving it some more in faster turns, I'm now convinced the sport springs are softer than the sport springs used in the E90, or at least it feels that way to me. BTW, the loaner E90 has the standard non sport xi suspension. The damping is not as good as my adaptive setup, but the springs felt firmer/higher spring rate.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle.c View Post
I am guessing you have the luxury line right? If this makes you feel bumpy, I wonder what will happen in sport line....I am planning on getting either of those, any thoughts? (I want to keep my spine)
I have the modern line but with adaptive m suspension. I am not saying the ride is bumpy it is very comfortable while going over pote holes. I am not sure how to decribe it but if there is very frequent small things on the road the best example is the slab connections, it feels little uncomfy.
      09-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
Hayir
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This trans does stay locked to the engine very well.
So much so that coming to a complete stop softly is nearly impossible, and that's been my experience when test driving 328's and 335's.
My 335i is the same.
Makes me wonder if idle is set too high. This is my first AT in years.
Smooth stops with MT are a no brainer.

I just had an E90 328xi with auto, and coming to a stop in that car is much much smoother. Simply apply the brakes and smoothly modulate until stopped. In my 335i, no matter how smooth I am with the brakes the car always comes to a stop in much less than smooth fashion, with the car rocking once of twice fore and aft. I'm getting used to it, but it's annoying to have to concentrate that much on trying to come to a smooth stop.

I think part of this hard stop feeling is that the F30 springs are softer, even though I have the adaptive suspension which has sport springs.
After driving it some more in faster turns, I'm now convinced the sport springs are softer than the sport springs used in the E90, or at least it feels that way to me. BTW, the loaner E90 has the standard non sport xi suspension. The damping is not as good as my adaptive setup, but the springs felt firmer/higher spring rate.
Good to know there are others experiencing the same thing. So I believe there is no problem in my car I have the adaptive suspension too.