F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Bushing on Thrust Arms
Studio RSR

08-22-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Bushing on Thrust Arms

Hey guys, I got a 2016 BMW 340i xDrive with about 44K miles. (BM3 Stage 2 Tune)

A mechanic recommended me changing my thrust arms because the bushings seems to be going bad.

Can I just change the bushings or the entire lower control arm needs to be changed?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCarCulture View Post
Hey guys, I got a 2016 BMW 340i xDrive with about 44K miles. (BM3 Stage 2 Tune)

A mechanic recommended me changing my thrust arms because the bushings seems to be going bad.

Can I just change the bushings or the entire lower control arm needs to be changed?
You can change the bushings on the existing arms. Might look into Powerflex... seems people have had good success on the F30 with their products.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Personally I would just do the whole arm. The savings in labor pressing them in and out will probably net out with the increased cost of parts. Go with VAC or Turner monoballs for much improved steering response and feel.
Appreciate 2
      08-22-2020, 04:26 PM   #4
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Personally I would just do the whole arm. The savings in labor pressing them in and out will probably net out with the increased cost of parts. Go with VAC or Turner monoballs for much improved steering response and feel.
So go aftermarket for the arms? Or is OEM also recommended when it comes to thrust arms?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
SeanFitz335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
So go aftermarket for the arms? Or is OEM also recommended when it comes to thrust arms?
If you are happy with the steering feel and are cost conscious, you can just get replacement arms from FCP Euro. They are not difficult to replace.

If you want to tighten up the steering and have a vast improvement in turn-in feel/response and have the money to spend, look at aftermarket monoball replacements.

I just replaced both thrust arms with complete units from VAC with their monoball installed. They run $550 for the pair and are a VAST improvement from the failed stock arms/bushings.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
exE36M3487.50
johnung4525.00
      08-23-2020, 01:50 AM   #6
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

+1 Turner, VAC, etc. around $500-ish but man you will wonder what happened (in a good way!) to your car the first time you make a turn.
Appreciate 2
johnung4525.00
      08-24-2020, 04:10 AM   #7
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFitz335 View Post
If you are happy with the steering feel and are cost conscious, you can just get replacement arms from FCP Euro. They are not difficult to replace.

If you want to tighten up the steering and have a vast improvement in turn-in feel/response and have the money to spend, look at aftermarket monoball replacements.

I just replaced both thrust arms with complete units from VAC with their monoball installed. They run $550 for the pair and are a VAST improvement from the failed stock arms/bushings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by exE36M3 View Post
+1 Turner, VAC, etc. around $500-ish but man you will wonder what happened (in a good way!) to your car the first time you make a turn.
Wow, did not know aftermarket would out perform BMW OEM. I'm all for better/tighter steering, but at what cost when it comes to OEM comfort? Will I lose that smooth comfy feeling when I just want to go into ECO/Comfort mode & just cruise?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #8
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Wow, did not know aftermarket would out perform BMW OEM. I'm all for better/tighter steering, but at what cost when it comes to OEM comfort? Will I lose that smooth comfy feeling when I just want to go into ECO/Comfort mode & just cruise?
Thats always the trade off. The bushings are there to absorb vibration and impact so, yes, youll lose a bit of comfort and gain a bit of NVH.

The question is fo you want a luxury-sport vehicle or a spot-luxury vehicle.

I would also add that if do this you should replace the LCA bushing as well with a monoball. Similar reasons and benefits in the replacement and i would not recommend having on soft bushing and one firm monoball from a suspension geometry under load perspective.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #9
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiswurm View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Thats always the trade off. The bushings are there to absorb vibration and impact so, yes, youll lose a bit of comfort and gain a bit of NVH.

I would also add that if do this you should replace the LCA bushing as well with a monoball. Similar reasons and benefits in the replacement and i would not recommend having on soft bushing and one firm monoball from a suspension geometry under load perspective.
Okay, I will looking into the mono bushing also. I actually just ordered the replacement bushings from FCPEuro, OEM for both front sides.

I guess when it comes to a fast sports car as long as I can go fast in a straight line is what really counts.

Doubt I will ever track the car. Also, coming from a heavily modded JDM car (Infiniti G37S Coupe) I kinda wanna chill and ride luxury for a while haha

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. New to the Bimmer game.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, I will looking into the mono bushing also. I actually just ordered the replacement bushings from FCPEuro, OEM for both front sides.

I guess when it comes to a fast sports car as long as I can go fast in a straight line is what really counts.

Doubt I will ever track the car. Also, coming from a heavily modded JDM car (Infiniti G37S Coupe) I kinda wanna chill and ride luxury for a while haha

Then you made the right choice! Either way a brand new stock bushing will feel great. It always works that way with suspension. Since things wear gradually you dont notice how shitty the ride and performance are until you replace.

I am sure youll be happy!
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
UrbanCarCulture
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Then you made the right choice! Either way a brand new stock bushing will feel great. It always works that way with suspension. Since things wear gradually you dont notice how shitty the ride and performance are until you replace.

I am sure youll be happy!
Thanks man, will leave a little update once the bushings get swapped out. Cant wait!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #12
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

I replaced mine with the turner motorsports kit and it made a big difference on turn in feel. Greatly reduced that center dead zone in the steering (esp in sport mode) and didnt really notice any increased nvh.
      08-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #13
SD Convert
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i convertible

Quote:

I've been thinking about this myself, and I'm wondering if a "Johnny Joint" might be a reasonable compromise for a street car. It uses a ball (somewhere between 1.5" and 2" diameter) between two Polyurethane seats/bushings. The Poly is supposed to damp out some of the vibration, while minimizing flex, and the ball allows free rotation.

Has anyone done/considered something like this?

Last edited by SD Convert; 08-26-2020 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 09:09 PM   #14
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
I replaced mine with the turner motorsports kit and it made a big difference on turn in feel. Greatly reduced that center dead zone in the steering (esp in sport mode) and didnt really notice any increased nvh.
I went with the F80 TAs and LCAs. I couldnt happier. Turn in and feel are fantastic. However, i certainly get a fair amount of V (vibration). Thats said i am not sensitive to nvh so it works. I am actually waiting of delrin rear subframe bushing install right now along with a wavetrac. More nvh perhaps but i am slowly but surely building my dad wolf in sheeps clothing racecar!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Check out the Millway's monoball offerings as well, they have two models both around $200. They might be my favorite mod on the car, really.

https://www.millway.se/bmw/3-series/f30-f31-f32.html
Attached Images

328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Has anyone been in recent contact with VAC? I've reached out twice with no response. COVID issues?? This thread has me itching to upgrade to monoball.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
Has anyone been in recent contact with VAC? I've reached out twice with no response. COVID issues?? This thread has me itching to upgrade to monoball.
Same experience here.

Pre-Covid I found that VAC responded promptly to my general enquiry.

A few weeks ago I sent a follow-up email asking for pricing and shipping costs to the UK - no response.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
      09-09-2020, 09:54 PM   #18
skier_du
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F30 335i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Same experience here.

Pre-Covid I found that VAC responded promptly to my general enquiry.

A few weeks ago I sent a follow-up email asking for pricing and shipping costs to the UK - no response.
Quote:
I just talked with Tony there a few days ago. They're a little shorter staffed at the moment. But I know Tony and crew are doing everything they can to get caught up. I'll reach out and let him know you guys are trying to get ahold of them.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2021, 12:27 AM   #19
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Check out the Millway's monoball offerings as well, they have two models both around $200. They might be my favorite mod on the car, really.

I'm little late to the party here but are these Millway monoballs for the tension strut (i.e. the 'wavy' front control that is closest to the front) or the control arm (i.e. the straight control arm behind the tension strut)? Since Millway doesn't make it clear which arm they are talking about it's hard to tell what is getting swapped out.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 02-02-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 06:55 PM   #20
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post

I'm little late to the party here but are these Millway monoballs for the tension strut (i.e. the 'wavy' front control that is closest to the front) or the control arm (i.e. the straight control arm behind the tension strut)? Since Millway doesn't make it clear which arm they are talking about it's hard to tell what is getting swapped out.
Yep! These are for those wavy tension strut/ front control arm.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I know this is not a new post but I wanted to chime in here so anyone researching this post will understand.

BMW installed those huge fluid filled bushings in the F3x Upper Control Arms (also called Thrust Arms or Tension Struts) to absorb Noise Vibration and Harshness. But they have excessive clearance which contributes to the complaints about the vagueness of the F3x steering.

Installing more solid polypropylene type bushings reduces the clearance but it adds a lot of NVH because they have restricted movement. Monoball bushings solve both problems because they reduce clearance to improve steering while also having unencumbered movement to prevent adding NVH.

I have the VAC Monoball Thrust Arms. The steering is now incredibly precise under both acceleration and braking. They did not add NVH to the chassis and cabin occupants. What it does add is road feel transmitted to the driver's hands on the steering wheel. It's a welcome feeling. What driving a sports sedan is supposed to feel like!

Here's a link:

For RWD:
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22

For XDRIVE:
https://www.kiesmotorsports.com/prod...8;_ss=r?aff=22
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2021, 01:47 AM   #22
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I have the VAC Monoball Thrust Arms. The steering is now incredibly precise under both acceleration and braking. They did not add NVH to the chassis and cabin occupants. What it does add is road feel transmitted to the driver's hands on the steering wheel. It's a welcome feeling. What driving a sports sedan is supposed to feel like!
Hi johnung
Your post seems to indicate you changed only the thrust arm to VAC leaving the lower control arm OE (i.e. BMW). Is this the case?

Having gone through three previous BMWs (two 3’s and one 2) I find it is the thrust bushing on the body side that gets the crap kicked out of it. It’s not that the hub side of the arm never dies but it seems to lot more mileage to kill it despite its smaller size. Even on the single wishbone E46, it was the front, not rear bushing that would leak first, then the hub side. I never had a rear side die. On F30 #1 it was the body side thrust arm bushing that started dying before any other bushing. Conveniently, it was one side but both sides would get swapped. I wonder if out of 4 bushings, over two arms, those two, large bushings aren’t the odd man out and just swapping them would relieve most of the grief noted by enthusiasts over BMW’s non-M front suspension.

I want to make it clear that I’m not saying that swapping out the lower control arm has no advantage. While often not the prime reason for swapping out control arms (who complains "This ride is fine, but the projected longevity of the control arm bushing is sh*t. I can put up with driving around on a pillow but can't stand the thought of replacing parts at some point in the future. I got to do it now!"), VAC mono balls have also been praised for longevity. A blown bushing a few days before a track day is a pain in a$$. Because you have no time, being forced to replace it with an identical OE part is galling. On the other hand, a vast majority of parts in the car are fine. I'd like to keep the car as OE as possible. Too many stories of "I chattered my teeth to dust and now have to buy dentures or implants and put back the OE parts. Oh f*ck it, I'll drive around with just gums. Gums the Boy Racer with a car so slammed it would give a street cleaner a run for the money"

I do find it stupid BMW will sell you an M Performance steering wheel for your XDrive but not M Sport control arms. Come on BMW, it’s just the bushing plus a couple of spacers. How hard can that be? Harder than a steering wheel swap?
Appreciate 0