F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
ARMA SPEED

06-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #2399
antonius2018
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfgray View Post
Looks great! How did You change the order of titles and maybe You found the way how to assign other music player by pressing music title?
Thanks.
There is a xml file caled kesaiwei_1280x480_evo_id7_whats1, whats2 and whats3, with each of the tiles configuration for the three screens on id7, so it was just change these files and recompile.

About how to run another app after selecting a certain option, i didn't look for it. Perhaps it's another xml file, if it it's we can change it, if it's in the code it's more dificult(at least for me).
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #2400
amfgray
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
That is not entirely truth . I have managed to connect a usb keyboard while in recovery mode . The way was to boot with the usb keyboard connected to tha usb port. But not all the keyboards work . Actually the one that was usb wireless worked and not the usb cable keyboard.
Although the keyboard was recognized the recovery was basic. Only had two options. Reset and try again.
But that is not a flash procedure anyway!
Hmm, my recovery looked like that:

https://yadi.sk/i/EXnxzD6xq8INRw
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #2401
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

I have a weird problem that happened randomly I think

Before when I plugged my phone in, it would show the USB device in notifications and I could tap it etc...

All of a sudden phone no longer shows up in notification area. It still works but I have to do many steps now to get my head unit app started instead of just tapping the usb connection notification. At same time, the on screen home button, menu button and back button stopped working. From my iDrive the home button also stopped working. All other buttons still work as expected (nav button opens waze etc)

I also noticed that when I tried to go into android developer options, it said "Developer Options is not available for the current user"... went back to Android settings and something I never saw before was 'Users' and I was logged in as 'Owner'. Tapping this setting does nothing.

I reflashed the android update and mcu update, but I am still in same situation.

Anyone have any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:10 PM   #2402
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfgray View Post
Hmm, my recovery looked like that:

https://yadi.sk/i/EXnxzD6xq8INRw
ok but how did you manage to get into recovery ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #2403
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper, 2020 X1

Garage List
Hi.
Some time ago, when I tried to root my px6 head unit, I bricked it. Because my dealer (Astrowind) does not communicate completely, I finally decided to break the warranty sticker. The guarantee is gone, but following procedure enabled me to revive my unit.
I removed the SMD OTG resistor. I had to remove the aluminum bracket, the resistor is hidden beneath it. By doing so, I have made units USB port available for ADB commands.
I installed platform-tools_r28.0.0-windows and ADB driver and copied px6.zip to platform-tools folder. I connected a 12V battery to power the unit, I connected a USB A-A male-male cable to PC and HU. In platform-tools folder I ran the command prompt and then the following commands in it:
adb usb
adb devices (only to verify the connection)
adb root
adb reboot sideload
adb devices (only to verify that the device is in sideload mode)
adb sideload px6.zip
adb reboot

and my head unit is unbricked.
I soldered back the resistor and it's done.

by the way, after accessing the USB ADB, it can be rebooted into recovery mode (ADB reboot recovery) but the USB keyboard does not work there.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #2404
amfgray
Rep

Quote:
got root and than with some program (dont remember which exactly but there are a lot of them) reboot to recovery mode.

and how did You manage?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:06 PM   #2405
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Terminal Emulator -> reboot recovery
root is not needed
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #2406
amfgray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smahel View Post
Hi.
Some time ago, when I tried to root my px6 head unit, I bricked it. Because my dealer (Astrowind) does not communicate completely, I finally decided to break the warranty sticker. The guarantee is gone, but following procedure enabled me to revive my unit.
I removed the SMD OTG resistor. I had to remove the aluminum bracket, the resistor is hidden beneath it. By doing so, I have made units USB port available for ADB commands.
I installed platform-tools_r28.0.0-windows and ADB driver and copied px6.zip to platform-tools folder. I connected a 12V battery to power the unit, I connected a USB A-A male-male cable to PC and HU. In platform-tools folder I ran the command prompt and then the following commands in it:
adb usb
adb root
adb reboot sideload
adb sideload px6.zip
adb reboot

by the way, after accessing the USB ADB, it can be rebooted into recovery mode (ADB reboot recovery) but the USB keyboard does not work there.
WOW that's great! Thx for info, it should be in top important messages.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #2407
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
Thanks.
There is a xml file caled kesaiwei_1280x480_evo_id7_whats1, whats2 and whats3, with each of the tiles configuration for the three screens on id7, so it was just change these files and recompile.

About how to run another app after selecting a certain option, i didn't look for it. Perhaps it's another xml file, if it it's we can change it, if it's in the code it's more dificult(at least for me).
Hei! That is awesome! Do the navigation has to be rooted in order to do this?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #2408
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Welp, I received my unit today and was about to install it... I kept getting No Signal, so I checked the connectors and everything but it still kept "No Signal". Until I came to the idea to unplug the retrofit Nav from my glovebox and directly hooked upthe LVDS cable from my Head Unit. It showed up now. But I would't be able to use that Navbox anymore

I already tried messing with the Factory Settings but no luck. Any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:31 PM   #2409
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
Hei! That is awesome! Do the navigation has to be rooted in order to do this?
Yes, unfortunately yes, and it’s necessary a program that allows to install updates to the APK, even if the signature doesn’t match with the previous one.

But, if you only want to change images, without messing with the .xml files (translations, and this order of presentation of the tiles), then it’s enough to merge the new images on the previous .APK, without the need to reinstall, but there again you need to root the HU to have write permission over the \OEM\App directory.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #2410
uysalt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 & E93

Smile Great help, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike78 View Post
Following up with the carplay and idrive knob problem, after contacting with the right person i have a solution!!!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

In the latest version (I dont know if also exists in the previous versions) there is a *** secret menu - factory mode *** where you can assign keys (learning). I am sending you the required steps:

1) update to latest autoplay app (2018.09.03.1744) from settings
2) go to settings, and hold your finger above software version number for 2 seconds, then lift it and hold it for 1 second for 3 times and you will enter to secret menu.
3) enter key learning
4) find 'enter' button and touch it 1 time
5) click idrive knob back arrow 2 times and you should see the 'enter' button turn in blue - you cannot assign idrive knob but its not a problem, cause you still have a movement very close to that and does not conflict with anything.
6) close autoplay app from opened apps and reopen

Now you will be able to select apps in carplay using idrive back arrow!!!

There are also 2 extra options for mirroring function but have not tried them yet.

Thanks Mike, great help.

With the 2019 version it is no more a secret screen but your text helped me to locate the help I was looking for in the net and make the set up. I was trying with the knob and it was not working but the back button works perfectly.

This makes a great change.

Last item to fix is the mic sound/reception I guess and let's see whether I will get some help on that too on this Forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #2411
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by babagurgur View Post
I have a weird problem that happened randomly I think

Before when I plugged my phone in, it would show the USB device in notifications and I could tap it etc...

All of a sudden phone no longer shows up in notification area. It still works but I have to do many steps now to get my head unit app started instead of just tapping the usb connection notification. At same time, the on screen home button, menu button and back button stopped working. From my iDrive the home button also stopped working. All other buttons still work as expected (nav button opens waze etc)

I also noticed that when I tried to go into android developer options, it said "Developer Options is not available for the current user"... went back to Android settings and something I never saw before was 'Users' and I was logged in as 'Owner'. Tapping this setting does nothing.

I reflashed the android update and mcu update, but I am still in same situation.

Anyone have any ideas??
bump

any help is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #2412
Tavicu
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonius2018 View Post
Yes, unfortunately yes, and it’s necessary a program that allows to install updates to the APK, even if the signature doesn’t match with the previous one.

But, if you only want to change images, without messing with the .xml files (translations, and this order of presentation of the tiles), then it’s enough to merge the new images on the previous .APK, without the need to reinstall, but there again you need to root the HU to have write permission over the \OEM\App directory.
Thank you for the answer! In one week i must receive the navigation and my experience with Android is zero!

I have read a few pages ago that PX6(Android 8.1) it’s hard to be rooted and easily to get bricked! I’m afraid to not brick mine trying to change the images and order of the tiles!

Last edited by Tavicu; 06-22-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:24 AM   #2413
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

@_fred_ is the px3.img from the wiki (see attached image) for 7.1 units? I downgraded mine to OEM version since it seemed to mess with the bluetooth, but would like to try yours? Presumably I'll need it for the auto_brightness intent anyway?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:25 AM   #2414
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series E60, Mercedes S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebigideas View Post
@_fred_ is the px3.img from the wiki (see attached image) for 7.1 units? I downgraded mine to OEM version since it seemed to mess with the bluetooth, but would like to try yours? Presumably I'll need it for the auto_brightness intent anyway?
Yes, it’s for 7.1. You can use it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:26 AM   #2415
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series E60, Mercedes S

Quote:
Hi.
adb usb
adb root
adb reboot sideload
adb sideload px6.zip
adb reboot

Great! I’ll add it to the wiki
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 03:30 AM   #2416
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
Yes, it’s for 7.1. You can use it.
Thanks man, appreciate all your hard work. You didn't tell me if you were a Red Bull or Beer kidna guy?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 04:14 AM   #2417
uysalt
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 & E93

Using BMW Microphone on E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
I have an E60, not an F series BMW.....

Hi Fred.

Picked this comment of your from another thread. I have an E61, installed a Android HU, 8.8'', replacing the built-in screen, added a Carplay and mainly use that.

If I answer the calls from the BMW system, I would say I have no other major problems (especially after having fixed the 'select' button issue with key learning feature of the Carplay adaptor) with the system that I could not live with.

Isn't there a way, however, making for Carplay (or the HU) making use of the mic sound from the BMW system which is nicely installed already?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #2418
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavicu View Post
Thank you for the answer! In one week i must receive the navigation and my experience with Android is zero!

I have read a few pages ago that PX6(Android 8.1) it’s hard to be rooted and easily to get bricked! I’m afraid to not brick mine trying to change the images and order of the tiles!
Well, my unit is also a PX6(Android 8.1) bought from AVIN a month ago, and after a few unsuccessful tries, I managed to root it using adb installed on my PC with terminal manager and su on the HU, beginners luck, I guess!

Last edited by antonius2018; 06-23-2019 at 06:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #2419
smahel
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Android 8.1 root

After reviving HU, I successfully tried root again by reference https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1043 .After little modification of the penultimate command:
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"
works without the problem of freezing
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #2420
antonius2018
Private
Rep

Quote:
After reviving HU, I successfully tried root again by reference https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=1043 .After little modification of the penultimate command:
adb shell /system/bin/su --daemon"&"
works without the problem of freezing
Nice.
I did the steps on the previous tutorial in xda xda rooting tutorial, including the "--Daemon&", and I had no problems. Do you know what "killed" your unit in the first place?
Appreciate 0