F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Best way of upgrading headlights?
Studio RSR

10-09-2021, 12:54 PM   #1
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Best way of upgrading headlights?

Have a 2013 F31 with old school halogen headlights. What are the favoured ways for upgrading? The bulbs are probably old so first thought was just to get some brighter direct replacements (Osram night breakers or some such?). But just wondering if there are other upgrade paths.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
MY340i
Major
Rep
Drives: Various

F30 depo lights
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY340i View Post
F30 depo lights
Thanks - didn't know about those but look very good.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 02:12 AM   #4
Jollygreengiant4
Rep
Drives: E46 325

I'm interested to see how you get on as I'm in the same boat.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #5
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollygreengiant4 View Post
I'm interested to see how you get on as I'm in the same boat.
Ha - It is turning into a real research project! There is lots of confusion and conflicting advice about the legality (and MOT implications) of 'aftermarket' headlight upgrades. I will update as I find out more!
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #6
Will335d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X6M F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin10chk View Post
Have a 2013 F31 with old school halogen headlights. What are the favoured ways for upgrading? The bulbs are probably old so first thought was just to get some brighter direct replacements (Osram night breakers or some such?). But just wondering if there are other upgrade paths.
I had the same problem when I had a f30 with the basic halogen lights. The depo projector headlights were going to cost a lot once I got the proper xenon bulbs etc so ended with some h7r xenon bulbs in the halogen housing and they worked pretty good. Much better visibility although there was some small amount of glare like all halogens.
      10-11-2021, 02:22 AM   #7
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

I too had this problem, I bought an 2013 f30 m sport then realised it was halogen headlights. After a year of ownership I've finally pulled the trigger to buy depo headlights.

For Now I have fitted them with my existing yellow h7 bulbs but will change it in the future when they stop working.

I even decided to go for oled gts rearlights.

It definitely transformed the front of the car, more aggressive and bmw looking now
View post on imgur.com

rear end:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2021, 05:42 AM   #8
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

So latest findings. Looks like from February this year Xenon (or indeed LED) headlight bulbs in halogen headlight housings are a definite MOT fail. So Depo lights would be a pretty expensive cosmetic upgrade (if not replacing the halogen bulbs with xenon) - although @gelogelo I do think they look great. I think I am simply going to go for better halogen bulbs. Anyone any experience with the durability of Night Breakers? Was thinking to go with a more modest (the Lasers) at +150% rather than + 200% - mainly on grounds of cost and durability.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
Stuart j
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Quote:
So latest findings. Looks like from February this year Xenon (or indeed LED) headlight bulbs in halogen headlight housings are a definite MOT fail. So Depo lights would be a pretty expensive cosmetic upgrade (if not replacing the halogen bulbs with xenon) - although @gelogelo I do think they look great. I think I am simply going to go for better halogen bulbs. Anyone any experience with the durability of Night Breakers? Was thinking to go with a more modest (the Lasers) at +150% rather than + 200% - mainly on grounds of cost and durability.

I brought Night Breakers 150% for mine and to be fair the light output is fine. I had the same bulbs in my previous car and they were great. I've never had any problems with Night Breakers hence buying them again.

They are a great upgrade from the stock ones. Not led white but whiter than the stock ones.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      10-11-2021, 11:19 PM   #10
RedRoss77
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335D Performance Pack

I'm also interested in these Depo lights? What is the best site to buy them from? Ta
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:24 AM   #11
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i actually dig the yellow halogen bulbs on the depo headlights. makes the rings stand out more at night lol

but yeah like you said they will be mot failure soon that's why i'm also sticking with standard halogen bulbs instead of going for led or xenon kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 02:25 AM   #12
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoss77 View Post
I'm also interested in these Depo lights? What is the best site to buy them from? Ta
i got mine from ultimatestyling. Fantastic service and came within 24 hours time.

way cheaper than most websites.

https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/bmw-3-...0aAhmdEALw_wcB
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 05:52 AM   #13
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

When I had my F30 I found the nightbreaker bulbs produced a modest improvement and only lasted about a year. Also very fiddly to change if I recall.

Keeping the lenses clean seems the simplest way of maximising whatever light output you have.

Halogens are never going to be as good as LED or Xenon

Personally I'd avoid upgrading with aftermarket stuff, I know on the long running thread on here there were a few concerns about quality - chinese repro stuff is always a bit of a lottery as to whether it's any good.

In the end I just lived with it, the costs of upgrading with either aftermarket or second hand OEM parts was just too much.

The standard LED lights on my G30 are excellent so at least BMW have moved on from their pretty poor reputation for having poor lights. (My E39 was even worse) I know this doesnt help you.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #14
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post

... I know this doesnt help you.
Actually very helpful. A reasonable summary and the position I have reached. I will stick with what I have and go for a modestly brighter bulb. Keep it all legal and OEM. I have come from an M135i with LED headlights. I still think that technology has a way to go yet. The light is very bright but the cutoff unnaturally sharp. Anything just out of range is in complete darkness. And the replacement cost if you are unfortunate enough to have to replace one is simply absurd.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #15
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
The light is very bright but the cutoff unnaturally sharp.
This is my experience with LEDs too. My dad's Evoque was one of the first to really have the full setup and while bright I find the cutoff to be closer than the point I'm trying to look to in the dark, and with such a sharp cut off it causes really noticeable eye strain/fatigue after even quite short journeys.

I've got the adaptive xenons on my F31 and really like them but there's only so far you can go with dipped before you end up making the cut off so sharp it causes more problems than it solves. High beam is epic on them but jumping back into my Impreza recently I was actually pleasantly surprised that 150% bulbs I have in them were doing a good job of not making me feel like I was back in a 1960's mini with glow worms in jam jars (as I expected to feel!). Which was good, as I hadn't had time to refit the four big 130W 9" spots back on the front of it! Good bulbs do make a big difference and the latest range of Osram bulbs really are pretty excellent.

Give the Osrams a try and see how you get on. If you feel they're still a let down then look at some of the aftermarket ones. The MOT rules aren't so harsh that anything aftermarket will fail, just if you fit bulbs into units that weren't designed for them, or if they produce an unacceptable light output which causes glare or poor aim.
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2021, 08:22 AM   #16
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Used upgraded h7 on my previous f30 which had basic halogen headlights. Found they did make a difference- probably best to do some research into which bulbs give the best/ biggest improvement over standard. Most will quote a +xxx% figure.

Found it also helped to aim the npbeams a little higher than standard as well
      10-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
RedRoss77
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335D Performance Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelogelo View Post
i got mine from ultimatestyling. Fantastic service and came within 24 hours time.

way cheaper than most websites.

https://ultimatestyling.co.uk/bmw-3-...0aAhmdEALw_wcB
Thanks 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 04:34 AM   #18
Fizzy Duck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

The DEPO lights are just halogen-based units with LED DRLs no?

If you want something which performs like the Xenon or LED based units, you'll want to go for something like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003145522784.html

Bear in mind, they're LHD versions, so you'll need to get them to confirm they can do RHD versions.

Assuming the connector is the same as your car, they'll be plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:21 AM   #19
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

OK an update. Thanks to advice, experience and suggestions here I decided to go for a simple replacement of all H7 bulbs (dip and main beam) with Osram Night Breaker Laser 150. My headlamp lenses are in good condition (no clouding or significant scratching). The overall impact of the change is good. These are never going to match / beat HID Xenon (still my preference over the current generation of LED) but they are pretty good and certainly a significant improvement over the replaced bulbs (which on inspection were standard rather than high performance H7). I think I will just change the dipped bulbs each year to avoid risk of failure, but in any case keep some spares in the car.
Appreciate 2
      01-15-2022, 07:42 AM   #20
pierzu89
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Xdrive Sport-Line

Hello,
I am thinking about buying DEPO lights for my F30.
I noticed that there are two versions of it:
1. DEPO LED rings and h7 for low and high beam (low beam with lens)
2. DEPO LED rings and D1S for low and high beam I assume

I am not sure which one to pick that will look better but what's more important will be brighter in the night?
Does anyone of you have any opinion about DEPO light with D1S?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 10:36 PM   #21
ade555
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 430D

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierzu89 View Post
Hello,
I am thinking about buying DEPO lights for my F30.
I noticed that there are two versions of it:
1. DEPO LED rings and h7 for low and high beam (low beam with lens)
2. DEPO LED rings and D1S for low and high beam I assume

I am not sure which one to pick that will look better but what's more important will be brighter in the night?
Does anyone of you have any opinion about DEPO light with D1S?

I believe the replacement Option 1 is for vehicle with original halogen lights and Option 2 if you have Xenon lights, I don't think you can fit Depo with D1S if you original lights are Halogen.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 05:28 AM   #22
pierzu89
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Xdrive Sport-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
I believe the replacement Option 1 is for vehicle with original halogen lights and Option 2 if you have Xenon lights, I don't think you can fit Depo with D1S if you original lights are Halogen.
Performed further analysis and it seems that it is as you wrote.
Purchased option number 1
Appreciate 0