F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Power Packs and Remaps - fashion items?
GetBMWParts

07-24-2015, 03:00 AM   #1
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Power Packs and Remaps - fashion items?

One of the most common topics around the forums are all about increasing engine performance through one method or another. It is usually the larger engines that are the subject of upgrades, we do not see many threads on the *18, *20 or *25 engines. I wonder how many spend not insignificant sums on gaining horsepower.

Now don't get me wrong because my car sees the red line a lot but on our UK roads with our traffic and ability to lose your licence in no time at all, I invariably have to get out of the throttle long before the car runs out of get up and go. On lanes i keep it on the paddles and there is oodles of power to make rapid progress until you meet the next 40 mph robot. Ok I don't take mine to track days, enjoy a track but if that was my hobby I would prefer to use something dedicated to it and wouldn't have the time or money to do it enough to be good at it.

Ok I can see the point of handling upgrades as they can get used everyday and I also see the point of driveability improvements but I do not think that if we had to drive a regular saloon or hatch that we would complain about our cars having drivability issues that were engine based. Of course I am fortunate in having a petrol that likes to rev and sounds awesome - sport mode windows down tunnel through the south downs

So as I look into the power pack kit I do wonder whether it is something I could really use everyday or give me tangible other benefits to repay the investment?

Tin hat on and coat at the ready, awaiting incoming
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #2
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Very valid post.

For some I believe there is an element of bragging rights ' it's chipped you know' etc.

I know a few people that have had engine tweaks carried out, they could not exploit the power they had, never mind extra oomph.

For some cars, it does improve throttle response and puts the engine how you like it.

I noticed a new thread on about the 340i and having it remapped etc, the cars not even launched as such, so that to me is a fashion statement rather than changing an engine to how you like it.

I have had (apart from 330d so far) remapped or engine upgrades ( such as fitting turbos, new cams etc).

So anyhow, yes it's a perfectly valid thing to do, if you are already using the power or prefer a different map.

With our Mondeo, Ford actually carried out a custom remap, giving it a much faster throttle response and it was noticeably quicker on low down acceleration, we tried I think 3 different maps.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Interesting post. Now I've got both petrol and diesel I think I can answer it pretty succinctly.

I won't ever bother putting anything on the M235i as, as you say, you would really only notice it more once the car is wound up and are you going to really do that all the time?

For the 335d, it's a different matter. That engine is not really about redlining and it's all about the torque. Not having to kick down but just surfing on that torque wave makes the driving experience SO much more relaxed. It's not about 0-100 times but surgeability.

So in conclusion, I don't think the diesels can ever have too much torque (traction not withstanding) - it's not about going faster but that relaxing way in which you can do it without having to stir the gearbox. For me with the petrol, I like stirring the gearbox as the engine makes nice noises but revving it means I'm already going quickly enough. Now if mapping/chipping was able to release a lot more low down torque, I could really see the point if using for every day driver but for me, not really an issue.
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:32 AM   #4
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_F32 View Post
on our UK roads with our traffic and ability to lose your licence in no time at all, I invariably have to get out of the throttle long before the car runs out of get up and go.
Me too, the points and there is no space to play here in the UK and our roads are not the best either - I enjoy driving to the continent, they know there how to keep motorways...

I don't look into mods/chips any more - maybe I am older now?, these days I just make sure I buy the right engine and here I think BMW packs plenty as standard, Currently driving a 320D GT, I certainly never feel like I need more power
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:36 AM   #5
Gixerste
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 430D m sport

I've had a few of my cars remapped including a 335i and current car 330d (PPK), and each time I went for a remap that gave improved mid range response not top end, this for me made it a usable upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 03:54 AM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

You can never have too much power!

The issue you're describing is as much about the long gearing as anything else... Current Porsches being criticised for overly long gearing which means you're at illegal speeds before the top of second gear.

But I agree with Guys summation of things generally.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Usually when not gunning it you gain a few mpg from a remap too......
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Just buy a faster car in the first place!
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
or pay less money than the more expensive faster car and have the same performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #10
snipnoob86
Major
Rep
Drives: 335D Saloon

totally agree that for most intents and purposes on UK roads a chip/remap on big engine motors have minimal baring on how *fast* you can go and *living life in the fast lane* just never really happens. my 335D has too much power for uk roads, flooring it on country lanes you are greeted by the next corner even before it has chance to spool up propperly. and motorways really what idiot does 155mph on the M6.

that said the tunes often unleash potential in any engine that has been blocked due to EU laws and rules so for me when i went for the steinbauer box my intention was not necessarily to drive fast but the get a more engaging experiance from my car which i believe th box did achieve. also there are bragging rights, and the ability to pull away from a standard 335
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:12 AM   #11
General
No_Country
Rep

There is also an element of 'because I can'.

I am sort of looking at the new Mustang, lot of car for your money, however even with its engine, I know it's very tuneable and one of reasons for buying, would be to tinker with it.

One thing that I do find amusing, is people will remap / chip their car, however not even touch the things that impact on daily driving, suspension, tyres, brakes.

The move to add strut braces, is almost the second thing you did previously with a hot hatch, then upgrade brakes, hoses, pads, discs if required.
With air filters because no another quickie.

Personally handling and how it feels to drive is more important than chipping / remapping, unless you have a diesel that is slow to get up and go.

The rare of change the majority of our cars at stock go from say 30 to 80 etc is rapid for a family performance saloon / tourer.

Admittedly IF i keep the 330d, then I will be shopping for the usual raft of upgrades lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #12
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
You could do - but then at some point you'd want to remap that! When does it end!

You'd think an M3 or M5 would be quick enough - but people still remap these.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 06:26 AM   #13
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
You could do - but then at some point you'd want to remap that! When does it end!

You'd think an M3 or M5 would be quick enough - but people still remap these.
It does not ...

http://www.prindiville.co.uk/bugatti-veyron/ecu-tuning/

As an aside, I have been out with aircraft engine technicians as they setup a jet for the pilot, with the pilot taking for an air test and then asking for more tweaking lol.

So yeah at times Mach 2 just ain't enough
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
You can never have too much power!
I think many of us agree with the statement, there's a sense of satisfaction from knowing what an engine can do. For me there it is a BUT, (it's a big but) can we really use it enough in daily driving to even justify the need for looking for more from an already decent engine output?

There is a strong argument (often mentioned when this subject comes up), a smaller engine with limited output can be more exhilarating to drive hard, "work it" and be in the top end more time, with more sensory feedback for the driver.

I also agree with the more relaxed drive, with more power and torque, it is why I drive the engine I do. I don't typically "need" 300bhp, as driving these days is so frustrating and if we are wanting to drive hard, causes us issues, (high blood pressure as a starter), let alone how other drivers feel about someone who they judge is "driving like an idiot".

I remember seeing a Porsche make a 'crazy' overtake in one of the short straights on Loch Lomond-side. From his perspective he did it safely, plenty of power, out and back in again in the space available. The other road users in the queue of traffic would have lynched him, by the reactions, flashing lights, shaking of fists and heads. Plus the Porsche only gained one place and was still in a flow of traffic. He'd simply made enemies because his car could do it.

That example is the sort of thing I'd have to cope with most days I'm out driving, if I drove my car closer to it's limits. I also notice the more a car looks the part and users drive hard and fast, the more anti-social it is becoming to other road users.

If the tune is for bragging rights, OK for those so shallow and insecure I suppose, but needing it for daily road driving, I do have mixed views.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2015, 06:43 AM   #15
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_F32 View Post
So as I look into the power pack kit I do wonder whether it is something I could really use everyday or give me tangible other benefits to repay the investment?
You'll be using it pretty much every time you overtake, every time you floor it out of a roundabout and sometimes just for fun. Which certainly makes more sense to me than some other items that are purely cosmetic.

Our priorities as a tuner are:

1: Suspension
2: Engine
3: Everything else

but each to their own
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Did I just open by mistake the Audi owners forum?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
I always think it's not what you've got so much as how you drive it. If you drive 'badly' enough (undertaking, cutting-in, etc.) then you'll beat people in much 'faster' cars... see it happening most days.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Totally agree OP. I think a lot of 'standard' cars now are so powerful no need for engine maps.
      07-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Car Chris
Totally agree OP. I think a lot of 'standard' cars now are so powerful no need for engine maps.
What does this even mean? None of us needs half the power, but nothing about spending many hundreds of pounds per month on buying new cars is based in the true realms of need!

We all have more power/big engines/body kits/ M cars or whatever because we WANT them.

If someone doesn't feel any need for it then absolutely fine.... I, however, unreservedly love having a quick car. I've lived it ever since I was a kid... "Faster dad!" And I totally accept I'm a big kid now, and will likely remain so.

And also, the remap is usually significantly cheaper than the next engine up in any car range... So as car mods go... A bit of a bargain.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 11:20 AM   #20
alpine330D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430D GC

Theres really no need for the vast majority of mods we insist on with these cars.But modding is a bug for me and a lot of others on here,wether its with your car,mountin bike or even missus

I did the weekend toy/track car for a couple of years or so until i could no longer justify the cost of running 2 road cars, so for me in consolidating into 1 car which does around 20k miles a year i get a buzz from doing bits n bobs to it, and increasing power is definitely high on the list as the grin from planting your foot is all the sweeter!.
      07-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #21
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, MP pack, ACS springs

For me mapping is definitely something I do, for ME! I just like having that extra bit of power. My car is already faster than most things on the road but it could be quicker and it puts a smile on my face going fast! It has nothing to do with fashion- if I wanted that I would buy a 318i, stick a wheelbarrow exhaust and a 340i badge on it, plus a wrap and an Alacantra trim. The car would be very fashionable but still be as slow as $hit.

I just don't understand why people don't get mapping? Using the same logic surely everybody should only ever want a 3 cylinder diesel? After all it's 'plenty fast' and gets you where you need to be 🐌
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperyshoe View Post
I just don't understand why people don't get mapping? Using the same logic surely everybody should only ever want a 3 cylinder diesel? After all it's 'plenty fast' and gets you where you need to be ��
That is exactly what a lot of folks feel about motoring. Some even think, "why does any car need to go much over 70mph?"

Tuning a car has always baffled some folks, often doesn't make sense. Been the same since tuning Minis and the like, when guys would tune an 850 Mini, often at more cost than simply buying a similar aged Cooper S, and still had less power. It was simply a challenge for some, today's 'mapping' is really too easy a 'cheat' by comparison.

As has been said, we really don't need the tunes on something like a 330 and upwards.

Wait until we are all driving EV, (or Hybrid combos) then tuning 'motors' may be more of a challenge. I'm sure there will be a market for improving motors... magnet upgrades and re-wiring kits.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2