F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The time I took my parents car without asking them
proTUNING Freaks

12-14-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

The time I took my parents car without asking them

NEfan508 get's credit for this thread if it takes off. I will take it if it flops. His post about taking his Dad's car makes me think that he (we) are not alone. Tell your story, here is mine.

In 1983 I was 15 and had just gotten my learners permit. I had spent some time behind the wheel of Mom's 1979 280Z, but never without either her or Dad. Very fun car. One weekend night they had planned to go to dinner with friends out of our small town, and about an hour away. I had a buddy that was 18, and not much but trouble followed us when I hung around with him. He talked me into taking the car out cruising. Since he was licensed and of age, and folks would be gone for at least 4 hours, why not, right? For about 2 hours we drove around and pissed off pretty much everybody that we saw, he was just that way. Ended up getting chased by these guys in a black Trans Am all over town. After we lost them, we headed over to the mall parking lot where us whippersnappers would hang out on weekend nights. No more than 5 minutes after we pulled in to the lot, I see my Dad's red and white F-250 pulling up to the car. Uh oh... Turns out they decided to stay in town and he had been driving around for an hour looking for me. As you can imagine, he was NOT happy with me. I never drove that car again, nor was I allowed to hang with my older buddy any more. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing him again. It was a really fun night until Dad showed up. Not so much after that.
Appreciate 3
      12-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Back in 1996/1997 time I was at the tender age of 18 and my grandparents who lived nearby me at the time had a new 97 528i. Being a college freshman who commuted in my e28, my grandparents took a month vacation. So I had the balls to use their e39 the whole damn time while they were away.

I racked up miles in that thing and when they came back, they never knew
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Today is actually the anniversary of the first time that I ever drove one of my parents' vehicles...home from where it was safely parked before a fatal mishap. I don't wish that experience on anybody.....
      12-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I got my license at 18, Turkland says 18 is minimum. This story happened when I was 16

Both parents went abroad for something, and left the keys to my mom's car "in case i needed to move it". I asked about my dad's car, and they said they were keeping it in the garage in the office so that I wouldn't take the car out. Now growing up I was never the kid to pull that sort of stuff but I like cars and I was talking about how my buddies would pick me up (no license anywhere, btw) and we'd hang.

So my dumb ass decides it's a good idea to take my mom's car, and drive to the office, to ask my dad's assistant for the keys to his car. She of course didn't give them to me, so I went back home empty handed. Shortly after that I get a call from my dad basically grilling me for trying to take the car out, until he goes "wait how did you get to the office did you take your mom's car" then my mom railed me for driving her car without a license...
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2019, 08:36 PM   #5
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Today is actually the anniversary of the first time that I ever drove one of my parents' vehicles...home from where it was safely parked before a fatal mishap. I don't wish that experience on anybody.....
Really sorry to hear that, and I hope this thread did not help bring back bad memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
I got my license at 18, Turkland says 18 is minimum. This story happened when I was 16

Both parents went abroad for something, and left the keys to my mom's car "in case i needed to move it". I asked about my dad's car, and they said they were keeping it in the garage in the office so that I wouldn't take the car out. Now growing up I was never the kid to pull that sort of stuff but I like cars and I was talking about how my buddies would pick me up (no license anywhere, btw) and we'd hang.

So my dumb ass decides it's a good idea to take my mom's car, and drive to the office, to ask my dad's assistant for the keys to his car. She of course didn't give them to me, so I went back home empty handed. Shortly after that I get a call from my dad basically grilling me for trying to take the car out, until he goes "wait how did you get to the office did you take your mom's car" then my mom railed me for driving her car without a license...
HA! Dad's no fool! Thing is, he probably did it too!
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614889.50
      12-14-2019, 10:26 PM   #6
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubba View Post
Really sorry to hear that, and I hope this thread did not help bring back bad memories.
No worries. It was over 25 years ago now. Nobody would ever believe that I had never driven any of my parents' cars until I was almost 30...with or without their permission...which is the subject of this thread.....
      12-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
DocL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I was always able to drive my parents cars, my father had a few nice cars that he let me take out. My sister however was not as fortunate. She took his M6 and ended up crashing it. I was glad I was in college when that happened. I wouldn't have wanted to see the beat down she got.
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #8
colorado.e9x
eBay Special
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
I was 16 and only had my learners permit. My mom and step dad went out of town one (school) night to go camping for a day or two. I was at my dad's for the week but I convinced him I was going to my mom's with Taylor to study and do some homework.

Of course that was complete bullshit. Invited a few of my friends over. One car guy (Allen), one chill dude who smoked weed (Taylor), and one dumbass who smoked weed (Nick). We all went to the garage, the two smoking and my car guy friend messing around with the pickup that's a manual, nothing better to do. Anyway, fast forward an hour or so we had the great idea that Taylor and I should race.

I didn't have a car yet soooo I took my moms. Nick ended up driving Taylors car while I was once again in my mom's car with Allen. (Both are auto V6s) Allen told us of a private road that should be relatively safe, cops couldn't touch it. We headed there and just started zoomin. Nick is in front and I'm pacing right behind him. Maybe 60mph or so. Well turns out this road is extremely curvy and the pavement isn't all that flat. For instance there's some defent sized curves every 300 feet maybe.

We're still at it going back and forth down this road, hauling ass going double the speed limit (I don't think there was one but I'd say it's about 25-30ish if there was). And then out of nowhere wouldn't you guess it, Nick ran out of talent. Took a sweeping turn too fast. plowed right over the curb, over a small boulder, ripped a pipe out of the ground, and right over a small tree. Keep in mind I was right behind him. I had jerked the steering wheel to miss hitting him as he's slamming the brakes. Oh shit. Too much. Jerked the steering wheel the other way. Still too much. FINALLY corrected after nearly flipping my moms car over. That was fun.. -_- Made sure they were both okay, grabbed their backpacks so they wouldn't get caught with anything illegal, and dipped out with Allen (per Taylors request) I felt bad leaving but it would have been worse had I stayed.

Allen and I got back home and were so dumbfounded that Nick would have been THAT stupid. Talked about it all night. I called my Dad up and said I was getting tired and that I was just going to sleep there. Man was he furious. It was hard to get him to let me stay. Allen didn't have a ride home so he ended up somehow convincing his parents to let him stay the night. We ordered pizza, kicked back and watched TV and fell asleep. Caught the bus to school the next morning.

TL;DR my friend totaled my other friends car whilst racing me in my moms car

All the names are made up*
      12-15-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

Ferris Bueller's Day Off lol!
Appreciate 2
hubbahubba8710.00
Germanauto9665.50
      12-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

This thread cements my belief that there is a 100% chance that things go terribly wrong whenever you sneak your parents’ car out. It doesn’t matter how careful or good you are as a driver - shit’s gonna happen.

Not long after i got my license, my parents decided to buy the first brand new car after not getting one for a decade. It was a modest Toyota Corolla, but we were all thrilled with it. So of course, i had to take it out one night while they were away, so i could show it to my friends. Street parked it in front of the restaurant and after dinner, sure enough, someone had hit-and-run it.
Appreciate 2
      12-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

During high school my folks went to Hawaii on vacation. I grabbed their 65 Corvette convertible and picked up my buddy after class. Cruised around for the rest of day. No idea if my parents knew and didn't say anything or just didn't know? Later that year I drove it with their permission at our home coming, driving the ladies around, got rear ended on the field...
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

When we were like 14 we used to take my neighbors car out w/o their permission. Then we started taking strangers car's. We'd sneak up behind someone as they were walking to their car in a parking lot and say " get down and give us your keys ". Wow the things you do when your a kid.

That's a line from an episode of King of Queens.

Last edited by overcoil; 12-16-2019 at 02:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-16-2019, 08:18 AM   #13
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Wow all you guys are crazy! hahaha.

I never took my parents' cars growing up for two reasons.

1. I had a dirt bike
2. I wasn't scared of the police, I was scared of what my dad would do to me

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 3
hubbahubba8710.00
Rmtt8206.00
vreihen1614889.50
      12-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #14
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

When i was in HS i wouldnt necessarily take my parents car, but i would sneak my car out a lot. manually disengage the garage door and raise it up, put the car in neutral and push it out the garage/driveway and down the street a little, then start it up. Always thought i was so sneaky till recently when i was telling the story, my dad was like "you know we could hear you right?"

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #15
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
When i was in HS i wouldnt necessarily take my parents car, but i would sneak my car out a lot. manually disengage the garage door and raise it up, put the car in neutral and push it out the garage/driveway and down the street a little, then start it up. Always thought i was so sneaky till recently when i was telling the story, my dad was like "you know we could hear you right?"
A couple of things i learned from this scenario in my early years.

1. It’s impossible to raise a garage door quietly. No matter how well maintained, the thing makes a grinding noise throughout the entire structure of the house.

2. When doing the old ‘roll the car down the driveway while off’ trick, make sure you don’t have the fucking key in the ‘lock’ position
Appreciate 2
hubbahubba8710.00
Rmtt8206.00
      12-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #16
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
This thread cements my belief that there is a 100% chance that things go terribly wrong whenever you sneak your parents’ car out. It doesn’t matter how careful or good you are as a driver - shit’s gonna happen.

Not long after i got my license, my parents decided to buy the first brand new car after not getting one for a decade. It was a modest Toyota Corolla, but we were all thrilled with it. So of course, i had to take it out one night while they were away, so i could show it to my friends. Street parked it in front of the restaurant and after dinner, sure enough, someone had hit-and-run it.
Been there at 16 - I took out the family Ford estate wagon (1988), it was totally loaded with 3rd row seats and the fake wood siding...Sounds goofy but it was a nice ride at the time. I parked it on the road in an exclusive neighborhood visiting friends and it was towed as a suspicious vehicle....really? Busted!
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #17
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
A couple of things i learned from this scenario in my early years.

1. It’s impossible to raise a garage door quietly. No matter how well maintained, the thing makes a grinding noise throughout the entire structure of the house.
Incorrect - first spend inordinate time greasing and blueprinting those rollers. Then you need to master enough patience to lift it about a foot per minute. Probably won't work if they sleep right above it, but for us this was sufficient.

Second tip is right on - also helps to know how to pull the fuse for the brake lights until you get clear.
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00
      12-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #18
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I stole my grandparents car one night to go play chicken w/the girl I liked. The dumb things a horny kid thinks are good ideas. : Thankfully, no accidents happened & the only thing hurt was my ego b/c I never got any. When I came back, my Grandmother was outside with her arms crossed looking like she was going to kill me...
Appreciate 1
hubbahubba8710.00