F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Steering Wheel Vibration @ 60 MPH
Studio RSR

09-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
Crispykickz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i M-Sport

Steering Wheel Vibration @ 60 MPH

Somewhat of an odd issue maybe. I want to know what I should be looking at for this problem. My 435i seems to get a vibration through the steering wheel @ 60-65 MPH. The vibration is not present at speeds north or south of this range. If I accelerate from an on ramp to highway speeds, I can feel the vibration come on at 60-65 and then disappear thereafter. If something is making the wheel vibrate and its speed related, I would expect it to persist past 65 MPH and intensify. This is not the case here.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Check the obvious stuff... have wheels and tires balanced, check if you have pulsing or vibration under light braking, jack up the car and spin the wheels and try to "rock" them to check wheel bearings or loose suspension, etc.

Might also get better results in suspension, wheels, and tires sections.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Crispykickz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Check the obvious stuff... have wheels and tires balanced, check if you have pulsing or vibration under light braking, jack up the car and spin the wheels and try to "rock" them to check wheel bearings or loose suspension, etc.

Might also get better results in suspension, wheels, and tires sections.
Thanks for the quick reply. Wheels and tires have been balanced and I have two sets of wheels. Happens regardless of which set I have on. There is no pulsing or vibration under braking. I can try to check the wheel bearings, but from past experience a bad wheel bearing would just get louder/vibrate more at speed, not go away completely. The suspension maybe...but I don't hear any weird clunks that would make me think something with the suspension is loose.

Its just weird that the vibration shows up and then disappears - so I don't know if there is something about the driveline that vibrates at a certain oscillation/rotation - which happens to be at around 60-65 mph that I should be looking into.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispykickz View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Wheels and tires have been balanced and I have two sets of wheels. Happens regardless of which set I have on. There is no pulsing or vibration under braking. I can try to check the wheel bearings, but from past experience a bad wheel bearing would just get louder/vibrate more at speed, not go away completely. The suspension maybe...but I don't hear any weird clunks that would make me think something with the suspension is loose.

Its just weird that the vibration shows up and then disappears - so I don't know if there is something about the driveline that vibrates at a certain oscillation/rotation - which happens to be at around 60-65 mph that I should be looking into.
Sometimes that is how vibrations work if it only vibrates when you are at the resonant frequency. Is it only through the steering wheel or tangible in the seat, etc? If you let go of the wheel can you see it shake?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

It could be your rear half shafts
Appreciate 0