F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just SORNed my car, am I the only one?
ARMA SPEED

04-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #23
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

People might know this but most comprehensive car insurance policies do not cover a SORN’d car. They deem a car with no tax as ‘unroadworthy’. The potential implication is if the car is stolen or damaged on the drive the policy won’t cover it and SORN’ing a car might invalidate the policy instantly as most don’t automatically downgrade the cover to fire and theft. There is specific ‘laid up insurance’ you can take out for a SORN’d car but worth checking your insurance.

Old thread from PH as an example - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1630933
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #24
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchoa View Post
£2200.....?!?!! Is that how much the road tax is on a M5...????!???
As @C320 says its the first year tax included in purchase price, standard price for an over £40k car after that....

If it was £2200 every year I probably would wince a bit....
Appreciate 1
C320337.50
      04-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #25
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I think in my mind its just better for a car to be driven at least every 3 weeks just to get everything moving and allow the oils and coolant to circulate properly, i think cars need to be used otherwise parts may start to perish, again just how my mind works.

A lot of it is gut feeling but when I balance £50 a month to drive the car once to stretch its legs and keep everything in good order verses not driving it I feel happier spending the £50
That's my thinking too. Haven't and won't be SORN'ing any of our cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #26
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I’m all for driving the car maybe every 2 or 3 weeks and won’t be Sorning any of ours.

But what about cars that are sat in dealerships for sale for months? Other than a battery charge, do these cars ever get driven in this time? Probably not, well not for any length of time. I guess these cars don’t suffer any issues?

Back in 2016 my M3 had to have a diff replacement on a recall at 1 month old and was stood at the dealership for 9 weeks (as ukbeemerboy knows as he was my service advisor at the time. ).
The car drove fine after I picked it up.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Last edited by dopper99; 04-01-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #27
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

My brand new spanking 840i been sat at dealers since end Feb. Was supposed to collect today.....
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #28
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_ View Post
People might know this but most comprehensive car insurance policies do not cover a SORN’d car. They deem a car with no tax as ‘unroadworthy’. The potential implication is if the car is stolen or damaged on the drive the policy won’t cover it and SORN’ing a car might invalidate the policy instantly as most don’t automatically downgrade the cover to fire and theft. There is specific ‘laid up insurance’ you can take out for a SORN’d car but worth checking your insurance.

Old thread from PH as an example - https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=23&t=1630933
As was pointed out in that PH thread, this is not the case.

A car does not become ‘unroadworthy’ if it’s SORN. If it has a valid MOT, it is very much ‘roadworthy’. You obviously can’t drive a car that is SORN, and you can’t park it on the highway either.

You don’t even need to notify your insurance company if you SORN a car. It has no bearing on the insurance.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #29
Toddy.46
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d msport

My insurance states 'vehicle must be taxed and have a current MOT. Got the MOT done yesterday not due till the 12th, if it has to sit for a while thats fine, im more worried that the insurance won't pay out if a jolly fellow decides to take it for a fun drive without my consent
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #30
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
As was pointed out in that PH thread, this is not the case.

A car does not become ‘unroadworthy’ if it’s SORN. If it has a valid MOT, it is very much ‘roadworthy’. You obviously can’t drive a car that is SORN, and you can’t park it on the highway either.

You don’t even need to notify your insurance company if you SORN a car. It has no bearing on the insurance.
I’m not being controversial, only trying to be helpful.

I’m speaking from experience about this only a few months ago with a big UK insurance provider so trust me - it can have a bearing on your insurance. I’ve got a classic car that I had SORN’d and when it came to renew the policy I had an issue due to it having no tax (I assume when I rang to renew they must have checked online regarding tax status etc) and that came as a complete surprise to me.

I never said you need to inform your insurance - you don’t legally need insurance for a SORN’d car - but that’s doesn’t mean it has no bearing if someone were to steal or damage the car whilst it was SORN’d it could mean you are not covered on an existing fully comp policy hence why specific policies exist for SORN’d vehicles and insurance companies don’t need much of an excuse to wriggle out of things.

Most comprehensive policies state a car must be taxed at all times (ie intention to use it on the public road) in the small print and the conversation I had reflected that ‘roadworthy’ to them means it’s ‘road legal’ and no tax may fall foul of this as fully comp insurance generally requires a car to be road legal. If this was never an issue then “laid up insurance” wouldn’t exist and be a product that’s specifically underwritten for the purpose of SORN’ing a vehicle. Some comp policies might automatically ‘downgrade’ your policy to fire and theft but a lot won’t hence where the potential issue arises.

As per the PH thread, the opening gambit states Admiral declared the policy void and most people would be unaware of that whilst not deliberately doing anything wrong. The PH thread explains that Admiral deemed SORN’ing as no insurable risk if the intention is not to drive it so a fully comp policy may not now be underwritten and they don’t sell insurance for storage purposes which is exactly the same conversation I had. I took a policy we these guys whilst I sorted things out - http://www.sorninsurance.co.uk/

I think we can all agree that insurers are rarely on our side. I would just advise checking that’s all and getting a laid up policy if needed as I would hate for someone to fall foul of it especially in these hard economic times and with the rise in car thefts.

Last edited by UK_; 04-01-2020 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #31
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddy.46 View Post
Got the MOT done yesterday not due till the 12th
Why? Do you not follow the news? ..If your MOT was up on 12th April it was extended 6 months now and expired on the 12th October. Obviously yours now expires 12th April 2021 due to you getting a new one yesterday, so you’ve lost the free 6 months MOT extension the government gave everyone who’s MOT expires after 30/03/20.. ah well.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...-30-march-2020
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 06:56 AM   #32
Toddy.46
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Why? Do you not follow the news? ..If your MOT was up on 12th April it was extended 6 months now and expired on the 12th October. Obviously yours now expires 12th April 2021 due to you getting a new one yesterday, so you’ve lost the free 6 months MOT extension the government gave everyone who’s MOT expires after 30/03/20.. ah well.

I do read the news, however as said, my insurance company has stated...and confirmed on the phone, the car must have a valid MOT. Even with the freebie from the government, i will not take the risk of them not paying out if it goes walkies
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:51 AM   #33
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I do read the news, however as said, my insurance company has stated...and confirmed on the phone, the car must have a valid MOT. Even with the freebie from the government, i will not take the risk of them not paying out if it goes walkies
The extension from the government is a valid extra 6 months MOT, there is absolutely no risk Regarding the new expiry date you receive and insurance cover.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:10 AM   #34
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I’m all for driving the car maybe every 2 or 3 weeks and won’t be Sorning any of ours.

But what about cars that are sat in dealerships for sale for months? Other than a battery charge, do these cars ever get driven in this time? Probably not, well not for any length of time. I guess these cars don’t suffer any issues?

Back in 2016 my M3 had to have a diff replacement on a recall at 1 month old and was stood at the dealership for 9 weeks (as ukbeemerboy knows as he was my service advisor at the time. ).
The car drove fine after I picked it up.
Blimey that seems a life time ago now! Very nice car though and I was glad when you eventually had it back

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 1
dopper993511.00
      04-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #35
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hmmm, I’d be careful with this. Yes, they have agreed to extend the cars current MOT so you can still drive it while the situation is how it is. It doesn’t however say that you will get a year from when it’s tested within that 6 months. I’d assume you’ll get a year from the original expiry date unless someone can prove me otherwise.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #36
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
Hmmm, I’d be careful with this. Yes, they have agreed to extend the cars current MOT so you can still drive it while the situation is how it is. It doesn’t however say that you will get a year from when it’s tested within that 6 months. I’d assume you’ll get a year from the original expiry date unless someone can prove me otherwise.
You get a 6 month extension on your current expiry date so it ‘should’ mean you still get a year from when your MOT is next done.

If you forget to MOT your car and drive around for a few months then realise your mistake and take your car in for an MOT you still get 12 months from the date of the new MOT it doesn’t start from when it expired .. I know someone who actually accidentally did this.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #37
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You get a 6 month extension on your current expiry date so it ‘should’ mean you still get a year from when your MOT is next done.

If you forget to MOT your car and drive around for a few months then realise your mistake and take your car in for an MOT you still get 12 months from the date of the new MOT it doesn’t start from when it expired .. I know someone who actually accidentally did this.
I agree that is what I’d of thought would happen, but it doesn’t say that in the government guidelines does it. Like everything the government does at the moment, it’s not clearly defined.

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #38
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I agree that is what I’d of thought would happen, but it doesn’t say that in the government guidelines does it. Like everything the government does at the moment, it’s not clearly defined.
If a car is given an MOT test and it passes it is valid for 12 months regardless of if the old MOT date has expired or not. A test pass gives it a minimum of 12 months MOT, so I see no reason to assume that won’t be the case next time my car is tested.

I’m a glass half full type of person ... not half empty
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #39
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Blimey that seems a life time ago now! Very nice car though and I was glad when you eventually had it back
Yes I recall I was move concerned about bird poo landing on it and it being left outside rather than any mechanical issues!
Tbh if it did have any issues like ceased brakes or not starting it was in the right place for that to be sorted.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #40
Toddy.46
Private
Rep

Quote:
The extension from the government is a valid extra 6 months MOT, there is absolutely no risk Regarding the new expiry date you receive and insurance cover.
Thats fine, i am a key worker and use the car most days. What the government say and how that is interpreted by individual insurance companies could ultimately result in a claim not being paid, for me that is a risk, and one im not willing to take. For the price of an MOT and if it keeps a local garage going im happy to to sacrifice 6 months free for peace of mind. Each to there own
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:52 PM   #41
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Thats fine, i am a key worker and use the car most days. What the government say and how that is interpreted by individual insurance companies could ultimately result in a claim not being paid, for me that is a risk, and one im not willing to take. For the price of an MOT and if it keeps a local garage going im happy to to sacrifice 6 months free for peace of mind. Each to there own
If the car has a valid MOT (due to the extension given) no insurance company would get away with using that as an excuse not to pay out, and to be honest with what’s going on at the moment I don’t think they would dare try that.

Just to add, If anyone (including insurance company) checks the MOT status of the car online it will simply show it expires on its new expiry date in October. It wont have something in big neon lights saying this car has had its expiry date extended by the government due to the virus!

If you want to worry about non existent scenarios though that’s up to you
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #42
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
If the car has a valid MOT (due to the extension given) no insurance company would get away with using that as an excuse not to pay out, and to be honest with what’s going on at the moment I don’t think they would dare try that.

Just to add, If anyone (including insurance company) checks the MOT status of the car online it will simply show it expires on its new expiry date in October. It wont have something in big neon lights saying this car has had its expiry date extended by the government due to the virus!

If you want to worry about non existent scenarios though that’s up to you
I’m just saying don’t assume that’s all. You’ve taken a scenario that’s never happened before and made your own mind up that you’ll get 12 months even if extended.

My work van still says it’s MOT runs out 13th April online. Does it show extended online after the expiry date?

2018 BMW M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #43
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
I’m just saying don’t assume that’s all. You’ve taken a scenario that’s never happened before and made your own mind up that you’ll get 12 months even if extended.

My work van still says it’s MOT runs out 13th April online. Does it show extended online after the expiry date?
They are updating them in order of date. Mine expires on 4th April and it has changed online today to October 4th. Check yours around 11th.

I’ve made my mind up using the fact that you get at least a minimum of 12 months after every MOT test regardless of when the expiry date was. As already explained I could in theory let the MOT expire by a few months before getting it done (although risky) and still get 12 months on the new one thus giving the car a new expiry date any time I choose to.
ANY new MOT is valid for a minimum of 12 months from the date it passes even if you had left it 6 months past expiry date.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1