F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Performance Body Kit options - Unit17 or POWER Body Styling
Studio RSR

02-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D XD

M Performance Body Kit options - Unit17 or POWER Body Styling

So I have been looking at the M Performance Body Kit for my F36. Initially wanted Gloss Black but now I am swaying more towards CF.

Both of Unit17 and POWER Body Styling do the kits in CF, been looking through their pictures and can't really tell what is best from the pictures and there is a price difference between the two too. Both look like they do a great job, looking for a place that will supply and fit and these two pop up.
Will have to make a trip up there but suggestion of places in and around south London is welcome or Leatherhead area too as these would be closer for me.

Just want to see if anyone on here has their kits installed and if they would recommend either or compared the two previously.

Pictures welcome
      02-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4 Competition Pack

Garage List
I bought my M Performance Style Kit from Power Body Styling. Fitted it myself. The diffuser and splitter were mega easy and straight forward.

However their version of the side blades are for many different BMW's and you have to trim them down to a length that fits your car.

When I fitted it I took it easy and it came out looking great.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      02-06-2020, 04:24 AM   #3
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_340i View Post
I bought my M Performance Style Kit from Power Body Styling. Fitted it myself. The diffuser and splitter were mega easy and straight forward.

However their version of the side blades are for many different BMW's and you have to trim them down to a length that fits your car.

When I fitted it I took it easy and it came out looking great.
Thanks for the reply, I was more worried about sticking the splitter incorrectly and the taking it off again. The two sections on either side did you stick them on with 3M tape?

Thanks for the heads up, I might try ask them to pre cut it down to length.
      02-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #4
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWRIN View Post
Thanks for the reply, I was more worried about sticking the splitter incorrectly and the taking it off again. The two sections on either side did you stick them on with 3M tape?

Yea the 2 sides do stick on with 3M Tape of the splitter. However I found that what they added was not enough so I'd suggest you have a roll spare when fitting. You get screws to go under the splitter into the under part of the bumper.

I did a test fit to gauge the fit and then stuck it on. The 3M survived me removing and re-doing it as I was not happy with my first attempt. It has survived a year so far and its as solid as a rock.

You can try and ask them to trim the side blades to the correct size of the car but they would not for me. It wasn't to difficult to do - just a 2 man operation. I fitted them to the car and then trimmed them down once fitted so I could get the curve in the rear arch correct. You trim from the rear of the car. Top tip is to jack the car up and remove rear wheel - gives you more room to work. It is super easy to do though. The side blades did not come with any plastic pop rivets, however you can get them from eBay for peanuts. Again I recommend using more 3M tape than supplied with the blades.

Good luck.

The Fast Lane Styling Kit does look great when fitted - I was well chuffed with price and quality.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      02-06-2020, 06:01 AM   #5
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

If you are not far from Bluewater you are more than welcome to meet up and view the quality of the items on my car and I can should you how to do the side blades.

Although mine is an F31 you will get the General idea.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      02-06-2020, 06:46 AM   #6
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you are not far from Bluewater you are more than welcome to meet up and view the quality of the items on my car and I can should you how to do the side blades.

Although mine is an F31 you will get the General idea.
Thanks for the detailed advice, feel like it is a job that I might be able to do now.

I do pop to Bluewater every so often for some shopping but expecting a little one due imminently so that has thrown a spanner in the works of me carrying out any work for at least a month of two. If I get a chance will try message you next time and check it out before I go ahead and buy.

Cheers
Gaz
      02-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Chris_340i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the detailed advice, feel like it is a job that I might be able to do now.

I do pop to Bluewater every so often for some shopping but expecting a little one due imminently so that has thrown a spanner in the works of me carrying out any work for at least a month of two. If I get a chance will try message you next time and check it out before I go ahead and buy.

Cheers
Gaz
Anytime buddy.

Congrats on the little one
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #8
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Congrats on the little one
Thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
i follow unit17 on insta and they seem like they do a good job, lots of satisfied customers. Do m3, m4, m2 and f32.

The only thing i did not like is their replica splitters do look like they dont screw in the middle of the front bumper, so may be flimsy.
i wish i brought their carbon diffuser and fitted it. they are expensive
It is the price that separates the two, unit17 do get a lot of the M cars come through, they only sell carbon kits.
I think PBS do the carbon 'style' so can do it cheaper, if the quality and look are the same I would go for it.

Doesn't look like many on here have gone for CF kits from either
      04-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
JeffBMW4Series
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i F33 Convertible

Quote:
So I have been looking at the M Performance Body Kit for my F36. Initially wanted Gloss Black but now I am swaying more towards CF.

Both of Unit17 and POWER Body Styling do the kits in CF, been looking through their pictures and can't really tell what is best from the pictures and there is a price difference between the two too. Both look like they do a great job, looking for a place that will supply and fit and these two pop up.
Will have to make a trip up there but suggestion of places in and around south London is welcome or Leatherhead area too as these would be closer for me.

Just want to see if anyone on here has their kits installed and if they would recommend either or compared the two previously.

Pictures welcome
@GOWRIN did you go for this in the end? I'm aslso in the same situation and looking. How did you get on?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 04:56 AM   #10
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBMW4Series View Post
@GOWRIN did you go for this in the end? I'm aslso in the same situation and looking. How did you get on?
JeffBMW4Series No I have not got around to this yet, with the current situation I don't think I will be going ahead with this until next year to be honest.

But from a bit more research what I found was Unit17 do real carbon parts where are PBS do carbon looking kit hence the price difference. A lot of people do use PBS but like someone mentioned their front splitter doesn't have the little support in the middle not entirely sure how that affects the structure. They do however do real cable rear spoiler.

I am leaning more towards a real carbon kit but due to the price I might wait a bit and do it. Focusing on the inside as that is where I spend most of my time
      04-04-2020, 03:36 AM   #11
skipraider
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 BMW 335i

Quote:

I think for the price of them, you might as well just get some that are designed to fit the F30 rather than trimming them down.
      04-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #12
otee10
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

It would appear Unit 17 is genuine carbon fibre in contrast to PBS. I think the 'carbon look' isn't too bad from a distance but upon close inspection, it is majorly noticeable.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      04-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #13
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435I M SPORT

I have unit17 carbon splitter and side sills on my F32 and I really cannot fault the quality and fit.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      04-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JPW View Post
I have unit17 carbon splitter and side sills on my F32 and I really cannot fault the quality and fit.
Any chance you have some pictures?
      04-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #15
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep

Here's some pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      04-06-2020, 10:05 PM   #16
shuzzy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d Sport

I had a gloss black kit fitted by PBS and can confirm the quality is top notch. All lines up and fits perfectly. The quality is also first rate, my front splitter has suffered knocks, bangs and many scrapes. It's still solid and to be honest Im surprised it's holding up so well.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      04-07-2020, 06:06 AM   #17
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Here's some pics
Looks great mate
Is the front splitter a single piece?
      04-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #18
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuzzy View Post
I had a gloss black kit fitted by PBS and can confirm the quality is top notch. All lines up and fits perfectly. The quality is also first rate, my front splitter has suffered knocks, bangs and many scrapes. It's still solid and to be honest Im surprised it's holding up so well.
Nice, thanks for the details and if I do go with gloss black I have more confidence. But I think I am quite fixed on carbon fibre now.
It seems a lot of people have either black or gloss black, not come across many with carbon fibre kits.
      04-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
2JPW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here's some pics
Looks great mate
Is the front splitter a single piece?
Yep, single piece carbon and great quality.
Appreciate 1
GOWRIN110.50
      04-20-2020, 03:26 AM   #20
GOWRIN
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Unit 17 guys have a m2 with mclarenn senna seats in. They seem to know there stuff
Been following them for a while now and they seem to get so many M cars. Will have to check that post out to see how the senna seats look in the M2.