F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N26 Blown Motor? With BM3 Stage 2?
proTUNING Freaks

03-10-2020, 06:47 PM   #45
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
I never understood tuning a 320i. Why not go for a x28i if you want more?

...I suppose it's the same as me tuning my 428i and all the x35i wondering why I wouldn't just step up
and from x35i, why not go for M series if you want more?
there's always cloud above our head

remember tunning x20 and x28i for stage 1 and 2, will result in almost the same hp and tq
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 03:34 AM   #46
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Quote:

...I suppose it's the same as me tuning my 428i and all the x35i wondering why I wouldn't just step up
Cause the tax structure in Malaysia and Indonesia are ridiculous. In Malaysia, going from 20i to 28i would easily cost extra USD 10k. Going from 28i to 35i is even worst as once the displacement is above 2000cc, the tax would be higher. The difference is easily extra USD 50k. If I'm in US with extra USD 7k, I wouldn't hesitate to get 35i. You guys in US wouldn't understand our pain. Malaysian median salary for junior engineer is around USD 15k per annum yet G20 BMW 330i cost around USD 71k and it's not full spec. No 360 camera, no Active Cruise Control, No AEB, No dynamic damper, No HUD.

So BM3 is godsend for us. With USD 500, we can get 28i performance out from 20i.

Last edited by pierreye; 03-11-2020 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #47
Steakpizza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luverse View Post
Quote:

remember tunning x20 and x28i for stage 1 and 2, will result in almost the same hp and tq
Quote:
Quote:

100% this. Stage 2 328i has a bit of an edge on the 320i, but for all purposes the both get beat by a 335, etc. Everyone I know with a 328 wants a 335, everyone with a 335 wants an M, everyone with an M is happy. Vicious thought process lol.
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #48
kahnfucious
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i - M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steakpizza View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

100% this. Stage 2 328i has a bit of an edge on the 320i, but for all purposes the both get beat by a 335, etc. Everyone I know with a 328 wants a 335, everyone with a 335 wants an M, everyone with an M is happy. Vicious thought process lol.
For me personally I drew a line at what I wanted to spend on a car and was able to get 90% of what I wanted. Maybe BM3 will close the 10% gap - we will see when my warranty ends.

My daily commute is in 40-70-20mph traffic. when I get home I have 2 little ones that I pick up.

I'm not going to lie and say in those brief moments when I want to floor it I yearn for the power of a 335i but those opportunities to do that are really limited.

Comings from a very heavily modified supercharged Mini Cooper S - this car is the exact opposite and a welcome change.

Sure the mini cooper was about 1000 lbs less and had about 200 hp and it was fun - it cornered like nothing I had experienced before and could easily OUT corner and probably outrun the BMW - but I was just over it- I needed sound deadening, I need comfortable suspension, I need creature comforts.

We always want what we don't have - and you keep pushing up and up and up I guess...I am sure the M3 is the ultimate but it's literally double the price of an F30 - you can only hope it offers double the enjoyment
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #49
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
Quote:

Cause the tax structure in Malaysia and Indonesia are ridiculous. In Malaysia, going from 20i to 28i would easily cost extra USD 10k. Going from 28i to 35i is even worst as once the displacement is above 2000cc, the tax would be higher. The difference is easily extra USD 50k. If I'm in US with extra USD 7k, I wouldn't hesitate to get 35i. You guys in US wouldn't understand our pain. Malaysian median salary for junior engineer is around USD 15k per annum yet G20 BMW 330i cost around USD 71k and it's not full spec. No 360 camera, no Active Cruise Control, No AEB, No dynamic damper, No HUD.

So BM3 is godsend for us. With USD 500, we can get 28i performance out from 20i.
Please come to the US or Europe that sounds terrible. I feel your pain
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:52 AM   #50
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please come to the US or Europe that sounds terrible. I feel your pain
Haha. Luckily I'm not a salary worker here.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:

this is so true, and i'm from Indonesia
20i to 28i price different is 13k, while 20i to 35i is extra 20k

the tax for 35i is 2k/year, while for 20i is 700/year

and average salary in Indonesia for manager level is only 12k/year
that's why in Indonesia, BMW and Mercy is categorized as rich people car

Last edited by Luverse; 03-12-2020 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      03-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #52
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
this is so true, and i'm from Indonesia
20i to 28i price different is 13k, while 20i to 35i is extra 20k

the tax for 35i is 2k/year, while for 20i is 700/year

and average salary in Indonesia for manager level is only 12k/year
that's why in Indonesia, BMW and Mercy is categorized as rich people car
Same in the Philippines... but if I live there I won't be caught driving BMW... I need a compact pickup truck like Toyota Hilux sport 4x4 diesel.... I hate to say this but I will mostly likely see big rock around 5 in diameter and up ...a big pot hole and lots of off-pavement parking. And don't forget no service for 1000 miles that are qualified to work on BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #53
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Same in the Philippines... but if I live there I won't be caught driving BMW... I need a compact pickup truck like Toyota Hilux sport 4x4 diesel.... I hate to say this but I will mostly likely see big rock around 5 in diameter and up ...a big pot hole and lots of off-pavement parking. And don't forget no service for 1000 miles that are qualified to work on BMW.
yeah, for daily drive, i use Toyota Fortuner Diesel
too many hole and bad road here in jakarta
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:48 PM   #54
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i

I wish I could get the money back for the Stage II upgrade and put it into the audio project I have going on...

Stage II seemed like a great idea at the time until I got mine dyoned and realized just how much HP I had added in addition to the factory figures. It caused me to abstain from meeting pedal to the floor in fear of decreasing the life expectancy of the motor.

I've put at least $15k grand into my 320i and the last thing I want to do is throw a rod, therefore, Stage I is my preferred tune. Everyone's different and there is no right/wrong answer, but I feel like preservation is more important than anything else after dumping this much cash into the project.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #55
DadzBmer_N2o
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320ix

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
yeah, for daily drive, i use Toyota Fortuner Diesel
too many hole and bad road here in jakarta
Hey are you located in the Phils?, my wife is from there and i have spent some times over there lol..
      03-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #56
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade_The_Public View Post
I wish I could get the money back for the Stage II upgrade and put it into the audio project I have going on...

Stage II seemed like a great idea at the time until I got mine dyoned and realized just how much HP I had added in addition to the factory figures. It caused me to abstain from meeting pedal to the floor in fear of decreasing the life expectancy of the motor.

I've put at least $15k grand into my 320i and the last thing I want to do is throw a rod, therefore, Stage I is my preferred tune. Everyone's different and there is no right/wrong answer, but I feel like preservation is more important than anything else after dumping this much cash into the project.
Quote:

$15k total or just in add-ons? How much have you put into your 320i total?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #57
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I paid 28k for the car

it cost 4 grand just for the m conversion, painted and installed.

it cost about 6 grand for the audio upgrades...Full Focal/Audion speakers + JL Audio vx600 + custom DSP mapping

it cost another 2500 for the niche wheels and tires

3 grand for all the engine schtuff + BM3.

Yeah man..This is quite a project
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #58
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
I paid 28k for the car

it cost about 6 grand for the audio upgrades...Full Focal/Audion speakers + JL Audio vx600 + custom DSP mapping

wow that cost quite a lot for just m conversion
here, for m conversion or m3 conversion, only cost around 1.5k
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #59
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I paid 28k for the car

Quote:
Quote:
I paid 28k for the car

I bought the set from kies and that was $1500 on its own. Paint was another $1500. I forgot to add the HR Super sports which were a grand for that install rolled in with the msport
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #60
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I paid 28k for the car

Wow! Wonder if you could get some sponsorships at this point!?! I don't know how that works tbh but if anyone's 320i deserves it it's yours.

Pls post more pics when you can!! And anyone exhaust videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #61
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
I bought the set from kies and that was $1500 on its own. Paint was another $1500. I forgot to add the HR Super sports which were a grand for that install rolled in with the msport
i bought the set for just $900, paint job using Spies Hecker and fitting $600
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #62
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
i bought the set for just $900, paint job using Spies Hecker and fitting $600
I wonder if you tell the $1500 and $3k m sport apart. Honest question.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #63
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I paid 28k for the car

Wow! Wonder if you could get some sponsorships at this point!?! I don't know how that works tbh but if anyone's 320i deserves it it's yours.

Pls post more pics when you can!! And anyone exhaust videos!
Problem is, the audio and engine stuff were the biggest price tag, proportionately...

Don't think anyone would be thrilled to see pictures of speakers, amps, intercooler that is hidden from view, intake, chargepipes, downpipes hidden from view by the hood, tunes, etc.....Maybe if I had spent all $15kish into visual mods, yeah, it could probably show, but I chose to dedicate a lot to audio and engine components that pale in comparison to a 335 that spends 10 grand in visual mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #64
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Audio/performance mod make more sense. You are going to sit in the car driving for hours and enjoy the journey. Not going to sit outside for hours looking at my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #65
Luverse
First Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Audio/performance mod make more sense. You are going to sit in the car driving for hours and enjoy the journey. Not going to sit outside for hours looking at my car.
exterior, interior, audio, and performance mod has been installed in my car, yet the total cost is around $5k (include fitting cost)
the price different is really huge
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #66
Fade_The_Public
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
exterior, interior, audio, and performance mod has been installed in my car, yet the total cost is around $5k (include fitting cost)
the price different is really huge
What kind of audio did you do???

The amp + speakers alone we're 4 grand, and that's not even including the underseats.

How'd you manage to do 5 grand for everything?
Appreciate 0