F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Why have BMW Removed Performance Specs from Web and Brochure
Vorsteiner

12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
six
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-Sport

Why have BMW Removed Performance Specs from Web and Brochure

Hi All

It seems BMW have pulled the section which used to be in the brochures with the performance data specifics against model / engine type. This section included dimensions (with wireframe drawings) and things like towing capacity with braked / unbaked trailers etc.

I tried to locate it on the website and it's been removed from there too. Genius confirmed that all 'technical specifications' have been withdrawn and will only be provided on request.

Seems like a crazy situation. I get that most people won't be fussed but I need to pay attention to weights and towing capability. I now have to request this info piecemeal from BMW and can't digest it by looking online or in the brochure It seems like such an odd move from a manufacturer like BMW. Like Apple holding back the specs on the components in a MacBook or something.

Anybody know why this is?!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Abzynthe
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Gives the genius something to do I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 05:39 AM   #3
Brigand
General
England
Rep
Drives: Golf R Estate

They likely need to re-evaluate them and print the true values

Previous: 330d F31 x drive, EBII, M Sport + , Vis Pack, Pro Media
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S

I noticed that some were missing from certain models but not that all had. Seems a pretty stupid decision to me.

The bmw website is pretty rubbish overall it must be said. The used car locator is awful to use, the way it displays the ranges is poor, and the car configurator is not much fun to use either.

All the other premium competitors websites seem much better.
Brigand6519.50

12-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
six
Private First Class
Rep

I asked the genius for all the dimensions and weights for the new X3 and X5 along with performance figures.

I've received a word document back today which must have taken him a while to pull together. Unfortunately the formatting is askew and it's very hard to read. Basically all text is in paragraphs with engines listed as a) b) c) etc...

More troubling was the fact that things like vehicle height were missing and the length of the X5 was patently wrong as was shown as only a few mm more than the X3!

I'm not knocking the genius, he's make a good effort pulling the specs together but I am amazed, no shocked, that BMW has taken this step

I guess we'll never be able to go back and hold them to account on a published figure now, I'm going to be tempted to get all the details added to my contract in the future!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
I asked the genius for all the dimensions and weights for the new X3 and X5 along with performance figures.

I'm not knocking the genius, he's make a good effort pulling the specs together but I am amazed, no shocked, that BMW has taken this step

I guess we'll never be able to go back and hold them to account on a published figure now, I'm going to be tempted to get all the details added to my contract in the future!
Most details and specification can be downloaded from the BMW Press Pages. May not get everything, but most of what we are after can be 'interpreted' from what is available.

Does this help? F15 X5 & G01 X3
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
England
Rep
Drives: C63 S Coupe

Brush up on your German and get the data from here

http://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/3e...che-daten.html

Current:
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
Previous:
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
six
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Most details and specification can be downloaded from the BMW Press Pages. May not get everything, but most of what we are after can be 'interpreted' from what is available.

Does this help? F15 X5 & G01 X3
It does, thanks for pointing that out. I wonder why they will publish there but not on the customer facing site. Perhaps they think we only buy based on the number and design of M badges and the alloy wheels
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 09:51 AM   #9
pmgreenwood
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto

I had noticed this information was beginning to disappear from consumer faced web pages and brochures. For the Uk, some aspects of the information was often wrong eg gave the minimum tyre sizes often available in Germany but not on the models they decide to import to the UK.

Width with mirrors is one of the 1st dimensions I look at when choosing a car, and the none availability of dimensions and performance data on the website is crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
LobB
Major General
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Hi All

It seems BMW have pulled the section which used to be in the brochures with the performance data specifics against model / engine type. This section included dimensions (with wireframe drawings) and things like towing capacity with braked / unbaked trailers etc.

I tried to locate it on the website and it's been removed from there too. Genius confirmed that all 'technical specifications' have been withdrawn and will only be provided on request.

Seems like a crazy situation. I get that most people won't be fussed but I need to pay attention to weights and towing capability. I now have to request this info piecemeal from BMW and can't digest it by looking online or in the brochure It seems like such an odd move from a manufacturer like BMW. Like Apple holding back the specs on the components in a MacBook or something.

Anybody know why this is?!
Very easy to answer for you.

On 03 January 2018 the planet earth with re-emerge from a crack in the space time continuum. We will re-emerge in 1976 (May, if all goes to plan). Tengocity will be driving an Austin Allegro. Brigand an Austin Princess. HighlandPete will be lording it over us in his beige Jaguar XJ (4.2 litre) and Watsey will have just picked up a lightly used Morris Traveller.
Gary Glitter still had hair and is in the Top ten. Next Christmas Slade will be number one in the charts with you know what. The summer will be a scorcher, and regular strikes by the miners will be laughed at as no one wants the central heating on. Water shortages mean no washing of cars, and a frustrated HighlandPete decides to engineer a solution in his garden involving a small Deisel generator, a fifty foot bore hole, copious pipework and a nifty looking pump.
British Rail are on strike every Monday, the latest grievance being about the size of the sandwiches in the canteen. One positive thing to emerge from the strike crippled UK is Tengocity has an excuse for being late for work. Again.
Arthur Scargill is committed to a psychiatric institution but released three weeks later. They'd got the wrong person thing Arthur was actually Adolf Hitler.

Does this help?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #11
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

BMW website is getting progressively less customer focused. We used to have the configurator which showed the equity in options in a PCP deal when you added them and they took that away. The model on which individual dealer sites are built is horrendous to navigate and have lots of dead links.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
JustChris
Professor of Man Maths
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3CP Individual Azurite Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proftinkerpot View Post
BMW website is getting progressively less customer focused. We used to have the configurator which showed the equity in options in a PCP deal when you added them and they took that away. The model on which individual dealer sites are built is horrendous to navigate and have lots of dead links.
That was great, bizarre they don't keep up with that, you could literally tweak per option and see the PCP difference.

Very annoying the Tech Specs have gone though, size and weight considerations take a bit more research now.

PS Holy Bump