F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Not defrosting your windscreen could land you points and a fine
European Auto Source

12-13-2017, 07:59 PM   #23
R0bb0
Major
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex440 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
I will genuinely never understand those who oppose the luke warm water treatment. Means defrosting is a 20 second job.
I have one sort of repaired stone chip on the driver's side and one large unrepairable one on the passenger side, out of my view. Neither have started to crack yet. Under no circumstances am I throwing warm water onto my frozen windscreen.
Try pouring boiling hot battery acid instead. Might be safer than some nasty luke warm water
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 08:49 PM   #24
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Of course it doesn’t.
What would you expect it to say after every mandatory rule - Do not exceed the speed limit, then add several possible pages of sentencing.

Traffic fines and sentences vary. E.g. bus lanes are enforced by councils, 38 in a 30 will be treated different to 100mph in a 30. Do you want all penalties spelt out so you can decide if it’s worth adhering to a rule?

Sorry, forgot to to add the !!!!!!!!!!, at the disbelief in the post
Look, I think you are missing the point. The point of this thread is to highlight that its possible to get points and a fine if your windscreen is not completely clear, and also a fine if you leave your engine running - this is certainly news to me. So thought I'd share it.

I think most people are aware what you should and shouldn't do as pointed out in your post 5. However, how many know they can get points and fine for the above?
Also points and a fine for driving with snow on your car. 'Driving without due consideration' or something like that.
      12-14-2017, 03:27 AM   #25
Alex440
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bbo View Post
Try pouring boiling hot battery acid instead. Might be safer than some nasty luke warm water
I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make? I think pouring water warm enough to melt frost or ice onto an already damaged windscreen, quickly heating it up, is asking for trouble.

From experience, anything cooler will melt it initially and then just refreeze with thicker ice than you had when you started.

I don't fancy playing Russian roulette with my windscreen in the pitch black at 6.30.

You carry on as you like, but it doesn't mean everyone else is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 04:23 AM   #26
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Look, I think you are missing the point. The point of this thread is to highlight that its possible to get points and a fine if your windscreen is not completely clear, and also a fine if you leave your engine running - this is certainly news to me. So thought I'd share it.

I think most people are aware what you should and shouldn't do as pointed out in your post 5. However, how many know they can get points and fine for the above?
Look I think you are missing the point.
The rules posted of the highway code are not new. Therefore, not only is it common sense (as most highway code rules are), but also not news that you must drive with a clear windscreen.

It's also not news that if you break the mandatory rules of the highway code you'll get a penalty of some kind.

What you, and the news article you posted is misleading in that it is not illegal to have your engine running on private land (driveway), nor to have your engine running on the highway while you clear your windscreen.
Appreciate 1
dopper992683.00

12-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #27
dopper99
Lieutenant General
England
Rep
Drives: C63 S Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
Look I think you are missing the point.
The rules posted of the highway code are not new. Therefore, not only is it common sense (as most highway code rules are), but also not news that you must drive with a clear windscreen.

It's also not news that if you break the mandatory rules of the highway code you'll get a penalty of some kind.

What you, and the news article you posted is misleading in that it is not illegal to have your engine running on private land (driveway), nor to have your engine running on the highway while you clear your windscreen.
OK point taken, fair enough.

Glad I wont get a fine as I leave my car running every time we get a frost.

Current:
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
Previous:
F80 M3 Competition Pack

Appreciate 1
      12-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #28
Torque of the Devil
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

I just put my car in the garage this time of year, no issue with ice at all then.
Appreciate 0