F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > B14s are way too stiff for DD
GetBMWParts

12-14-2023, 12:57 AM   #1
mclovin69x
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
B14s are way too stiff for DD

I daily an F36 440i Gran Coupe. The car had the adaptive suspension when I got it. I was tracking it and doing some canyon carving and wanted to kill the body roll so I got some B14s and installed them with the stock top hats.

I hated this setup because not enough camber plus it was way too stiff for DD in Atlanta. I now have a Miata for the track/canyons (and plan to tow it with the 440i) so I need your help figuring out how to make dailying the F36 more compliant while still keeping the ride sporty enough for aggressive street driving and the occasional track day.

I have ordered some Millway Street camber plates that I plan to use with either of the options below

Options:
Keep B14s but get new springs (lower front rate, higher rear) to achieve flat ride according to FaRKle! spreadsheet. If I do this what springs should I get? Would replacing the front B14 spring with the stock spring make things better? In the calculator, it looks like this would give me Flat Ride.

Throw the stock adaptive suspension and spring back on with the Millway camber plates and just deal with the body roll at track.

Replace with B4/B6 damptronic with stock springs and Millway camber plates.

Other?

Thank you for the read
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 04:02 AM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin69x View Post
I daily an F36 440i Gran Coupe. The car had the adaptive suspension when I got it. I was tracking it and doing some canyon carving and wanted to kill the body roll so I got some B14s and installed them with the stock top hats.

I hated this setup because not enough camber plus it was way too stiff for DD in Atlanta. I now have a Miata for the track/canyons (and plan to tow it with the 440i) so I need your help figuring out how to make dailying the F36 more compliant while still keeping the ride sporty enough for aggressive street driving and the occasional track day.

I have ordered some Millway Street camber plates that I plan to use with either of the options below

Options:
Keep B14s but get new springs (lower front rate, higher rear) to achieve flat ride according to FaRKle! spreadsheet. If I do this what springs should I get? Would replacing the front B14 spring with the stock spring make things better? In the calculator, it looks like this would give me Flat Ride.

Throw the stock adaptive suspension and spring back on with the Millway camber plates and just deal with the body roll at track.

Replace with B4/B6 damptronic with stock springs and Millway camber plates.

Other?

Thank you for the read
I'd like to see this.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 04:11 AM   #3
lpaulodt
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F36 440i LCI

Hi! Just for your reference, I’m tracking my F36 440i and I’m running KW V3 clubsports. It does a really good job at the track. It also has the camber plates, which when lowered gives me around 2,5° of negative camber.

Also, I’m RWD with mperf LSD on m sport sway bars (I think is like 25 mm front / 12 or 15 mm rear)

It is also my one and only daily, so it takes me everywhere, from groceries to work and the slopes during winter.

On rather smooth roads, it is not that harsh. However when I’m on patched / bumpy roads, the ride comfort can feel miserable at times. Me and my girlfriend don’t mind, but she is very chill though …
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-14-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
Samuaw
Private
Rep
Drives: 440i

Whilst i am on the other end of the spectrum compared to lpaulodt
Adaptive dampers with Eibach pro kit.

Comfy on the road, less than ideal amounts of body roll on track.
Just going to upload a very similar angled photo to compare that body roll is very real without Coil overs.

I too am looking for a better set up where I can retain comfort on the street whilst being able to dive into corners instead of rolling out.
Still yet to find the best option on my side, but i don't think i will be going on track again before some sort of handling changes are implemented (thinking of ARBs, but not sure would that really be the "cure")
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 06:58 AM   #5
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I call your 440i roll, and raise you e34 M5 roll (standard EDC suspension)...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 07:25 AM   #6
Dom147
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 228i, 2017 BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
i think your best option would have been to upgrade the sway bars, add camber plates, and retained factory EDC. i personally found the b14's too not be too stiff on my 228i but that is subjective. Achieving flatride by changing the spring rates is a great idea if you're also willing to get your dampers revalved to suit the new springs since the B14's have no adjustment. There is a video on this by Farkle himself on changing the springs on B14's, here's the link:
. I hear the B4 and B6 damptronic both end up actually raising the car height just a bit, if thats okay with you then perhaps its an okay option.
Appreciate 2
      12-14-2023, 07:31 AM   #7
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hi there.
Or go all in and add KW DDC coilovers.
Combined with adjustable camber plates, you should get what you looking for.
Comfy ride on roads with the possibility of stiffer ride in sport, and more camber with adjustable plates.
I have the KW’s and are really pleased with it, but have no camber plates since I rarely track it.
Mine is also a daily, driving aprox 40kkm a year

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
lpaulodt214.50
      12-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #8
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

Why not use sway bars to better control body roll since that's their intended purpose? Not the struts and springs
Dom14790.50
lpaulodt214.50
      12-14-2023, 10:46 AM   #9
mclovin69x
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
i think your best option would have been to upgrade the sway bars, add camber plates, and retained factory EDC. i personally found the b14's too not be too stiff on my 228i but that is subjective. Achieving flatride by changing the spring rates is a great idea if you're also willing to get your dampers revalved to suit the new springs since the B14's have no adjustment. There is a video on this by Farkle himself on changing the springs on B14's, here's the link:
. I hear the B4 and B6 damptronic both end up actually raising the car height just a bit, if thats okay with you then perhaps its an okay option.
I agree. I don't think they're too stiff if you live in the suburbs or in rural areas. But living in Atlanta and commuting through the city 1-2x per week is enough to make me want more comfort over the sportiness.

Only issue is I have to code the EDC back into the car - not even sure if that's possible..

I would get new springs for the B14s (flat ride) but the issue is they're not going to be valved for the new springs and that's not going to result in a great ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #10
mclovin69x
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli18c View Post
Why not use sway bars to better control body roll since that's their intended purpose? Not the struts and springs
stiffer springs make the biggest difference in controlling body roll, not stiffer "anti-roll" bars. I know it's mind blowing but it's true unfortunately
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      12-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #11
pauli18c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i RWD M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclovin69x View Post
stiffer springs make the biggest difference in controlling body roll, not stiffer "anti-roll" bars. I know it's mind blowing but it's true unfortunately
Sure, but you're complaining about the ride being too harsh already and you're talking about swapping springs. Which then you should have the dampers revalved to match them.

Maybe go back to the stock EDC suspension with Eibach Pro springs. ~10% stiffer than stock I believe off the top of my head. Then get stiffer sways to help with the body roll while still feeling soft enough for straight line DD driving.

Personally I went from EDC and M Sport springs to Koni Yellows, Eibach Pros, F80 bump stops, and millway street plates
      12-18-2023, 02:39 PM   #12
sapphire black
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom147 View Post
Where did you hear that the B4 damptronic increases ride height? I’ve heard the B6 do that but never heard this about the B4
Appreciate 0