F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Hit Pothole and now car is kinda vibrating as soon as steering tilts to right.
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2023, 01:55 AM   #1
fortf30
that340i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i Xdrive

Hit Pothole and now car is kinda vibrating as soon as steering tilts to right.

I Drive 2016 BMW 340i xdrive. A week ago I hit Pothole and now car is kinda vibrating as soon as steering tilts to right. But goes back to normal as I straight up the steering wheel or turn it to left. It sounds like it is rubbing against something and I can feel strong vibrations in gas pedal and steering wheels. I did visual inspection and right side strut is almost touching the wheel. I’m attaching the pictures. Please help me as I already spend lot of money and shops are not able to find out the issue. Got the wheel balancing and alignment done but issue is still there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:21 AM   #2
Tommy D
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW 440i GC, 2005 BMW 330i

From the photos, you can see the bottom of the strut was pushed through the knuckle, almost contacting the CV axle. It is a common fail point to protect the top strut hat if you do in fact hit a pothole.
I would replace the strut and knuckle, and inspect the axle as well to see if that was also compromised. I would also have the wheel checked for a flat spot or out of roundness.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 01:59 PM   #3
ZZO
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 440Xi MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
From the photos, you can see the bottom of the strut was pushed through the knuckle, almost contacting the CV axle. It is a common fail point to protect the top strut hat if you do in fact hit a pothole.
I would replace the strut and knuckle, and inspect the axle as well to see if that was also compromised. I would also have the wheel checked for a flat spot or out of roundness.
I would suggest this. However, I had a similar issues and vibrations but unknown cause of why. I ended up replacing my wheel bearing and hubs. If it only occurs while turning right, that would mean your left wheel bearing is shot.

If it is not these issues (strut and knuckle and possibly axle) I would suggest wheel bearings. You might have knocked the axle hard enough onto the bearing and chipped one of the grooves inside.
Appreciate 0