F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Need help making sure my dealer is not screwing me
proTUNING Freaks

10-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
rezadue
Two turbos are better than one!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 ZCP

Need help making sure my dealer is not screwing me

This past March (2018) we bought a 2015 X3 Diesel from our one of our local BMW dealers. The car's warranty ran till this past September. As part of the negotiations I asked for a CPO warranty to be thrown in as I was not comfortable buying a car with 4 months of warranty left.

The dealer agreed and aded "CPO 6 years" to the worksheet for free. Additionally at the time of pickup we got a signed copy of the BMW Canada Inc. certified pre-owned (CPO) warranty which indicated the car was under warranty until 2020-09-17 under the Platinum service plan.

Sure enough the car broke down last week and we took it into the dealer for service. It turns out the car needed a new battery and new O2 sensors. The service advisor told me that we basically had a third party warranty and he would have to take pictures and send them in to get authorization to change the sensors (battery was not covered).

What I don't understand it that I believed I had a CPO warranty through BMW Canada, and not a third party. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Sapphire Black M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #2
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Read your paperwork from the closing of the sale. That should tell you who the CPO carrier is (ie either BMW Canada or a third party). If it is a third party, the time to address that was at the time of sale closing (ie they were not delivering what you contracted for in your mind). After that, it becomes a matter of whose "word" is believed here.

Regardless, sounds like the sensors are covered and the battery not covered. I don't think warranties cover batteries, unless in the initial manufacturers warranty. There may be a separate battery warranty, however, the car is a 2015 and that warranty may be expired.
But, maybe I am wrong there.
      10-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #3
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
Read your paperwork from the closing of the sale. That should tell you who the CPO carrier is (ie either BMW Canada or a third party). If it is a third party, the time to address that was at the time of sale closing (ie they were not delivering what you contracted for in your mind). After that, it becomes a matter of whose "word" is believed here.

Regardless, sounds like the sensors are covered and the battery not covered. I don't think warranties cover batteries, unless in the initial manufacturers warranty. There may be a separate battery warranty, however, the car is a 2015 and that warranty may be expired.
my understanding is the car has to go under an extensive checklist and basically refurbished before going under the BMW CPO program. the battery should have been checked and replaced during inspection if it shown it was outside specs.
      10-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoboy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post

my understanding is the car has to go under an extensive checklist and basically refurbished before going under the BMW CPO program. the battery should have been checked and replaced during inspection if it shown it was outside specs.
Yeah, should. But they didn't
Appreciate 0