F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Dtc Dsc Duh
Extreme Powerhouse

03-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Dtc Dsc Duh

Hi all just thought I'd ask for some clarification on these modes. I recall I was way more up to speed in my e92 but the f30 has more toys and modes. I have RTFMed but I keep losing concentration

AFAIK DTC is of course for traction and DSC is stability. In normal driving modes both are active.

So to disable the DSC you hold down the 'skid' button for 10 secs and you are left with DTC as basic protection? What does a quick press of said button do?
How do you disable both? Not that I want to just curious.

In sport + mode I understand that DSC is disabled but DTC is enabled. Doesn't DTC disable itself over a certain speed anyway?

Lastly I intend to configure sport mode for chassis only. If I manually push the gear stick left to sport is that the same thing as it would be if I had set 'drivetrain' in sport mode?

Oh ps do you still get comfort mode if you don't spec adaptive suspension?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I think you have a wrong understanding...

Quick press of the DSC/DTC button activates DTC, a sub function within DSC.

According to BMW data for the F30:

The 'long' press deactivates some of the sub functions within DSC, modifies the thresholds of other sub functions. You never switch DSC off entirely as DSC includes ABS, CBC and all the other brake related functions.

Activating DTC modifies Automatic Stability Control (ASC), modifies Driving Dynamics Control (FDR), all other sub functions stay the same.

DSC 'OFF' disables Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Driving Dynamics Control (FDR). Automatic Differential Brake (ADB) is activated. Everything else within DSC stays the same.

Sport+ activates DTC

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Lastly I intend to configure sport mode for chassis only. If I manually push the gear stick left to sport is that the same thing as it would be if I had set 'drivetrain' in sport mode?
BMW just list a single Sport mode, but in use it is clear using the Sport mode toggle does not do exactly the same as moving the shifter to M/S.

For example, driving along at say 60mph in Comfort mode and toggle to Sport (assuming drivetrain is checked), the box will down change one gear, flick the stick to M/S it drops another gear. Stay in Comfort and flick the stick to M/S, changes down two gears. Toggling to Sport+ changes down the second gear in the same conditions in my car, as using the stick to M/S.

There appears to be a sort of 'halfway' in the DDC modes, gears don't get held to such high rpms as in M/S, from my experience with the SAT gearbox option. Whether the same in the standard auto I'm not positive. Perhaps other users will confirm for the standard box.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers pete. Trying to digest all that mate
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:

Oh ps do you still get comfort mode if you don't spec adaptive suspension?

Thanks!
Pete has answered the rest, so I will just answer this one..

Not quite as sport drivetrain includes throttle response as well, which is what really gives the car its up and at 'em attitude in full on sport or sport+ mode.

What it gives you is just sportier gear changes- shift points are higher and is more likely to drop gears on wider throttle openings.

Having in the left AND being in full Sport mode gives you even more aggresive gear changes!

Comfort is still available without adaptive, but the chassis settings only affect the steering
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks

So maybe I am better off using sport + mode if I want best performance and handling. But I am worried that if DTC is enabled (DSC off?) that I don't really want to lose stability.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Thanks

So maybe I am better off using sport + mode if I want best performance and handling. But I am worried that if DTC is enabled (DSC off?) that I don't really want to lose stability.
If you have drivetrain deselected in normal sport mode then yes you need to put it to Sport+

In Sport+ mode you have DTC on, but you still have DSC, so all this does it let you have a little wheel slip before it cuts in.

If you're that concerned then I suspect you're unlikely to drive such that it would be an issue, certainly never ever in the dry.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, a modern car with significant power is a hell of a lot safer than older cars with less power and no safety systems at all!

Just drive reasonably sensibly and don't forget the laws of physics!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
If you have drivetrain deselected in normal sport mode then yes you need to put it to Sport+

In Sport+ mode you have DTC on, but you still have DSC, so all this does it let you have a little wheel slip before it cuts in.

If you're that concerned then I suspect you're unlikely to drive such that it would be an issue, certainly never ever in the dry.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, a modern car with significant power is a hell of a lot safer than older cars with less power and no safety systems at all!

Just drive reasonably sensibly and don't forget the laws of physics!
Good info and advice both thanks again I figured sport+ would disable DSC akin to holding down the button. So not scared of it now

Last edited by dazzapb; 03-20-2014 at 01:50 PM..
Appreciate 0