F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Swapped my Burr Walnut trim with Fineline Pure Wood
ARMA SPEED

05-12-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 330d SB

Swapped my Burr Walnut trim with Fineline Pure Wood

So my car originally came with venetobeige interior, but with aluminium trim, which to me looked horrible. The car was otherwise perfect in spec, so I went with it.

Then caught a cheap used set of Burr Walnut trim on ebay and sold the aluminium trim for equal money. I didn't really want the walnut, I preferred the horizontal stripes of Fineline Anthracite but didn't find any.

Now, 2 years later, I caught a good deal (150€!) for Fineline Pure Wood. It's an untreated, raw dry wood finish and it looks and feels great. I know all the BMW wood trims are real wood under a heavy protective lacquer, but this one actually smells like wood and has a great tactile feel. It has tiny imperfections and everything. I just wonder about the longevity of it, but we'll see.

Here are some photos for you: first the aluminium, then burr walnut, then pure wood.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
UKF302524.00
23V0.00
      05-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

i agree with you that silver dash trim looked horrid mate but this new trim goes well with interior and silver trim goes with rest silver , good job
Appreciate 1
GoranBonn144.00
      05-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #3
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKF30 View Post
i agree with you that silver dash trim looked horrid mate but this new trim goes well with interior and silver trim goes with rest silver , good job
Well spotted, you noticed that in the first photo the trim around the airconditioning controls is all black, as the car is no line, while in the photos following there is chrome lining.

I didn't actually change the panel, I just stuck on a cheap ebay stick-on chrome trim. I can recommend it, it works really well, blends in completely to the OEM trim, and really improves the look.
Appreciate 1
UKF302524.00
      05-13-2017, 01:21 AM   #4
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranBonn View Post
Well spotted, you noticed that in the first photo the trim around the airconditioning controls is all black, as the car is no line, while in the photos following there is chrome lining.

I didn't actually change the panel, I just stuck on a cheap ebay stick-on chrome trim. I can recommend it, it works really well, blends in completely to the OEM trim, and really improves the look.
All looks goood my friend .

post picture of your car as well
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #5
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep

Already posted

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1286996
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 07:47 AM   #6
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Very nice. I never cared for the walnut in mine either. It's not too bad with a lighter colored interior, but with a black interior it's just another shade of dark. I've always like the look of classic English car interiors, so to that end I wrapped my walnut, and a lot of other pieces that were black, with 3M Di-Noc gloss bubinga.

Appreciate 1
GoranBonn144.00
      05-17-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep

That looks interestingly vintage! Can you post some closeup photos?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 04:48 PM   #8
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
So my car originally came with venetobeige interior, but with aluminium trim, which to me looked horrible. The car was otherwise perfect in spec, so I went with it.

Then caught a cheap used set of Burr Walnut trim on ebay and sold the aluminium trim for equal money. I didn't really want the walnut, I preferred the horizontal stripes of Fineline Anthracite but didn't find any.

Now, 2 years later, I caught a good deal (150€!) for Fineline Pure Wood. It's an untreated, raw dry wood finish and it looks and feels great. I know all the BMW wood trims are real wood under a heavy protective lacquer, but this one actually smells like wood and has a great tactile feel. It has tiny imperfections and everything. I just wonder about the longevity of it, but we'll see.

Here are some photos for you: first the aluminium, then burr walnut, then pure wood.
Too retro for me.

The very rare Ash Grain Wood Trim with Metal Inlay and Pearl Gloss Chrome highlight looks beautiful in a VenetoBeige Interior, especially as it has the same color Beige in the wood without looking "classic".
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
That looks interestingly vintage! Can you post some closeup photos?

Appreciate 1
GoranBonn144.00
      11-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #10
Thunderbird12
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Do you happen to have a good link to a video that teaches HOW to do this? I've got a 2013 335ix that has aluminum hex trim, and I'm thinking of switching to another type. (I'm not sure what trim would go well with my Coral red leather seats, so I'm still working on trying to find a source.)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 05:48 AM   #11
GoranBonn
Private First Class
Rep

I just looked through my bookmarks on various forums and all the old threads lost the images due to the imageshack change of policy for hosting. So can't really help there.

But if you search for any videos on BMW F30 installation of speakers or upgrading the NBT, you will see people removing the door and dashboard trim, as that is a prerequisite step.

In short, you need a trim removal tool and all of the trim pops right off:

- the small dash piece left of the steering wheel: open driver door, remove triangular plastic tab on the side of the dashboard console, and push the trim piece out from inside with fingers
- center console vents above the radio: pull off trim with fingers starting where the trim is closest to the screen. Just pull the trim out, and then pry the rest of the thin part.
- transmission / shifter piece: open handrest, use trim tool to pry the trim piece starting at the part usually hidden below handrest
- doors: on the lower side beneath each trim piece there's a notch to put the trim tool in to start with. Start pulling from there.
Appreciate 1
Tallest1307.00
      03-16-2019, 02:47 AM   #12
_2fast2furious_
Private
Rep
Drives: 2 series

Do you guys know where i can get the pure wood for the 2 series
Appreciate 0