F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > whirling noise from trans shifter
Extreme Powerhouse

10-25-2015, 04:49 AM   #1
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

whirling noise from trans shifter

I had my shifter replaced by the dealer a few weeks back and noticed today that when I shift down to drive or press the parking button, there is a whirling noise from the shifter unit. Has anyone noticed anything similar with their vehicles? Never paid much attention till tonight, when I was parking and had the radio off so could clearly hear it in silence in the car. Repeatedly shifted into drive and park and heard the whirling noise everytime.

Been having the worst of luck with odds and ends issues with my vehicle and am really getting fed up with these small issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
Kev314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsk1610 View Post
I had my shifter replaced by the dealer a few weeks back and noticed today that when I shift down to drive or press the parking button, there is a whirling noise from the shifter unit. Has anyone noticed anything similar with their vehicles? Never paid much attention till tonight, when I was parking and had the radio off so could clearly hear it in silence in the car. Repeatedly shifted into drive and park and heard the whirling noise everytime.

Been having the worst of luck with odds and ends issues with my vehicle and am really getting fed up with these small issues.
Sometimes I get a whirling sound from the general area of the shifter (automatic in my case), though I've not been able to pin point it to the shifter specifically nor to correlate the noise with what else is going on. It's been that way since the car was new (now at ~ 10,000 miles) and there have been no repairs.I know that's not of any real help. I'll try to keep track of the circumstances and to reproduce if possible.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #3
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. I also have an automatic. The dealer reprogrammed the DME and replaced the auto shifter due to hesitation and rough shifting. For some reason, the unit was not replaced not with the original std trans shifter but with the sports trans shifter, but not sure if that has anything to do with the sound. Did make an appointment with the dealer, yet again, for diagnosis and repair.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
petro
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

This is probably normal, the sports shifters have a stepper motor and gear setup that kicks in after ignition is turned off or park button is pressed that will move the shifter back from sports mode if it is left in that position.

I'm pretty sure mine does it even if it isn't in sports but you have to listen very carefully to notice it amongst all the other noises the car makes at shutdown such as AC vents, NBT hard disk and engine bay noises...

Sometimes when I'm bored I will put it in sports and press the park button to watch it snap back on its own. Sometimes I actually drive the car...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 07:12 AM   #5
hsk1610
Lieutenant
Rep

Petro, you are likely right about the noise. I did drop off the car yesterday so will see what they come up with.
Appreciate 0