F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > MPPSK and RaceChip
proTUNING Freaks

09-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
maatt
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '18 340i MPPSK

MPPSK and RaceChip

2018 340i but don't fancy the whole bm3, mhd, jb4 etc tuning until the warranty expires, unless its solid 100% undetectable (haven't really read into them in depth yet)

has anyone tried running with a Racechip?
Was looking at just the basic one that adds +36hp so probably hitting the 400hp mark with the MPPSK or just below.

any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by maatt View Post
2018 340i but don't fancy the whole bm3, mhd, jb4 etc tuning until the warranty expires, unless its solid 100% undetectable (haven't really read into them in depth yet)

Was looking at just the basic one that adds +36hp so probably hitting the 400hp mark with the MPPSK or just below.

any suggestions?

Don't do it.

Look at reliable flash tunes, like bootmod3 or MHD flasher.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #3
G.Newt
Major
Rep
Drives: CT4-V Blackwing 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maatt View Post

any suggestions?
This topic has been heavily discussed. The bottom line is ALWAYS this: you pay to play. You want to mod, be prepared to pay if something breaks. There's always exceptions and anecdotes of success stories, but those are exceptions and generally not the rule. This goes for piggybacks, flash tunes, etc.
Appreciate 2
j1980mac262.50
Aberle74.00
      09-04-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

JB4 and most good piggybacks are almost impossible to detect. Have you looked at the JB+? For under $200 with a 30 second install time it's literally the least expensive option and makes the same power as RaceChip and the other analog tuning boxes. They also let you trade up to a JB4 later if you decide you want a more powerful solution.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #5
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep
Drives: Built Motor 2016 BMW 340i

JB4 isn't detectable. Also voiding your warranty is really just a matter of how mod friendly your dealership is.

I worked at my local dealership for awhile and we used to have FBO cars come in with JB4's, MHD, Bootmod3, etc and we wouldn't void the warranty unless something happened that was obviously a result of a tune.

Edit: I guess if you are really concerned about the warranty, you can go with Dinan parts and tunes. If i'm not mistaken Dinan doesn't void warranties and you can even get it directly from BMW Dealerships that are authorized to sell Dinan products.

Last edited by SC_B5X; 09-04-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
JB4 isn't detectable. Also voiding your warranty is really just a matter of how mod friendly your dealership is.

I worked at my local dealership for awhile and we used to have FBO cars come in with JB4's, MHD, Bootmod3, etc and we wouldn't void the warranty unless something happened that was obviously a result of a tune.

Edit: I guess if you are really concerned about the warranty, you can go with Dinan parts and tunes. If i'm not mistaken Dinan doesn't void warranties and you can even get it directly from BMW Dealerships that are authorized to sell Dinan products.
So what you're really saying is that it is detectable. Like every other piggyback and flash tune in existence.

It's not that it's not detectable, it's that the techs aren't looking for that stuff when doing an oil change or brake fluid flush. They have no reason to. That's a big disclaimer/caveat.
DAW v2.5 turbo E40 | Dorch S2 | VRSF DP | MST intake | AWE catback | 335is clutch | CSF heat exchanger | RK Autowerks intake manifold | Orange M Perf Brake Kit | KW Street Comfort coilovers | GTS taillights V2
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
SC_B5X
Built Motor F30 340i
Rep
Drives: Built Motor 2016 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Newt View Post
So what you're really saying is that it is detectable. Like every other piggyback and flash tune in existence.

It's not that it's not detectable, it's that the techs aren't looking for that stuff when doing an oil change or brake fluid flush. They have no reason to. That's a big disclaimer/caveat.
From what I understand if you take the JB4 off before dealership visits they'll never really know it was there. Unless you blow up your motor and they are really looking into why it happened. But I would take a JB4 over a JB+, Racechip or any other piggyback tune. Only takes 5 minutes to take off.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm sure if they dump log data from the DME, they'd see abnormally high fuel trim numbers as well as flow rates near/at the fuel cap limit.

Piggybacks are a lot "safer" for warranty since they don't monkey with the DME, but if BMW was dealing with an engine/driveline claim, I'm sure the data they pull will point very heavily to an aftermarket piggyback.

Like said above, you gotta pay to play....
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:08 PM   #9
G.Newt
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
From what I understand if you take the JB4 off before dealership visits they'll never really know it was there. Unless you blow up your motor and they are really looking into why it happened. But I would take a JB4 over a JB+, Racechip or any other piggyback tune. Only takes 5 minutes to take off.
So what you're saying is that it's detectable.
As I've said before, they're not looking for that stuff for routine maintenance or minor warranty work. BMW will always have the means. We're saying the same thing, actually.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:

A good piggyback isn't detectable because the ECU sees all relevant values that are captured (boost, torque, fuel consumption) as factory values. Meanwhile a flash tune is always easily detected because all of the cars modules are storing true tuned values. That said you should pay for any damage you cause tuning anyway. Just be aware of the differences in how they work and the trade offs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Quote:

A good piggyback isn't detectable because the ECU sees all relevant values that are captured (boost, torque, fuel consumption) as factory values. Meanwhile a flash tune is always easily detected because all of the cars modules are storing true tuned values. That said you should pay for any damage you cause tuning anyway. Just be aware of the differences in how they work and the trade offs.
All piggybacks and all flashes are detectible. Your giving terrible information and false sense of security to others by saying anything otherwise. it's possible to figure out anything. Stop telling people one thing is safe and another is not. Unless your willing to pay for a failed warranty claim you shouldn't make such claims. Pay to play. Be prepared for the consequences or don't do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
All piggybacks and all flashes are detectible. Your giving terrible information and false sense of security to others by saying anything otherwise. it's possible to figure out anything. Stop telling people one thing is safe and another is not. Unless your willing to pay for a failed warranty claim you shouldn't make such claims. Pay to play. Be prepared for the consequences or don't do it.
I agree people should play to pay but I've seen what is detectable and what isn't with countless of my customers over the last 8 years. The only people here who repeat the falsehood that all piggybacks are detectable seem to be those who are pushing flash tunes and unwilling to accept the fundamental differences. There are a lot of great things that come with flashing but compared to a good piggyback detectability is a huge difference.
Appreciate 0