F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Aftermarket amp removal
Studio RSR

01-21-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
Risay_335d
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Aftermarket amp removal

Some advice needed please folks.

I've bought a 3 series and the previous owner had an aftermarket sub and amp , I want to get rid of this as the car has harmen karden anyway.

My question is if I'm not bothered about saving the cabling will it be ok to just disconnect the amp, remove the fuse near the battery and cut / hide any of the cables? My worry is I don't know what the aftermarket amps rca cables are wired to? If it's just to behind the head unit can I just leave those plugged in?

Could the cables be linked to the harmen karden speakers / amp somehow?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:56 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Chances are the amp input is connected to one, or perhaps both, of the underseat woofers, as there are no RCA connections on the H-K amp to pull the signal from. Another possibility is a harness at the H-K amp. The least likely possibility is anything connected directly to the head unit. The only way to find out is to back track the cabling.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 07:59 AM   #3
Risay_335d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Chances are the amp input is connected to one, or perhaps both, of the underseat woofers, as there are no RCA connections on the H-K amp to pull the signal from. Another possibility is a harness at the H-K amp. The least likely possibility is anything connected directly to the head unit. The only way to find out is to back track the cabling.
Thanks for the response

Any idea how easy it is to get access under the rear seat?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:21 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I can't say, never had a reason to pull mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #5
Phil @ Integral Audio
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix

If you're looking to trace and actually remove the cables instead of leaving them in (Something I'd personally, ultimately feel better about) it might be helpful to pick up some basic hand tools to help remove trim or panels and get access to the under the carpeting where the the cables are likely run.

If you search 'bone trim tool' and or 'trim / panel tools' you'll find lots of simple and cheap hand tools to pull trim without doing damage - they help a lot and good thing to have around anyway IMO. Amazon is a great place to pick up a kit if you're interested.

Rear seats should come up pretty easily as well but it is a bit weird the first time you do it (did this just the other day in another model we were doing an install in). I'm sure you can find a couple youtube videos that will show you where to grab / pull to get them out. Once you figure out how they're in there you'll be able to pull them and put them back in with confidence.

Always a bit weird pulling trim and removing seats if you've never done it before, but once you jump in and get started its surprisingly easy to do and if you're careful you won't damage anything. I'm sure you could trace / remove all the cables in an afternoon if you wanted.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:33 PM   #6
Risay_335d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil @ Integral Audio View Post
If you're looking to trace and actually remove the cables instead of leaving them in (Something I'd personally, ultimately feel better about) it might be helpful to pick up some basic hand tools to help remove trim or panels and get access to the under the carpeting where the the cables are likely run.

If you search 'bone trim tool' and or 'trim / panel tools' you'll find lots of simple and cheap hand tools to pull trim without doing damage - they help a lot and good thing to have around anyway IMO. Amazon is a great place to pick up a kit if you're interested.

Rear seats should come up pretty easily as well but it is a bit weird the first time you do it (did this just the other day in another model we were doing an install in). I'm sure you can find a couple youtube videos that will show you where to grab / pull to get them out. Once you figure out how they're in there you'll be able to pull them and put them back in with confidence.

Always a bit weird pulling trim and removing seats if you've never done it before, but once you jump in and get started its surprisingly easy to do and if you're careful you won't damage anything. I'm sure you could trace / remove all the cables in an afternoon if you wanted.
Thanks , that's really useful , I'll get myself those tools.

I started today and took the seat base out, finding it difficult to put it back in mind you.

Those tools will really help though with trim so I'll take a look
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
If you disco fuse you can jsut leave the wiring in. warp the pwoer wire amd rem wire with tape or heatshrink over the ends.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
Risay_335d
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
If you disco fuse you can jsut leave the wiring in. warp the pwoer wire amd rem wire with tape or heatshrink over the ends.
Yeah it's more on the other side I.e what the amp is connected to aside from the power so I know if it's linked to the existing HArmen karden system

The power side I can easily disconnect.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
It doesn’t nmatter what it grabbing signal from, honestly. And I wouldn’t be put pulling panels in the cold, as you are more likely to damage them.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
ATL_Nak-Muay
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Msport

What did the previous owner us to tie in? Lc2 or a jl cleansweep? I started putting my extras in but it seems tapped the incorrectly
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 12:59 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risay_335d View Post
Some advice needed please folks.

I've bought a 3 series and the previous owner had an aftermarket sub and amp , I want to get rid of this as the car has harmen karden anyway.

My question is if I'm not bothered about saving the cabling will it be ok to just disconnect the amp, remove the fuse near the battery and cut / hide any of the cables? My worry is I don't know what the aftermarket amps rca cables are wired to? If it's just to behind the head unit can I just leave those plugged in?

Could the cables be linked to the harmen karden speakers / amp somehow?
The HK amplifier is in the trunk in the left alcove. If the aftermarket amplifier has RCA cables, it may be connected to an aftermarket LOC that is connected to the HK amplifier wiring. If you are lucky they didn't splice into the BMW wiring. There are plug and play wiring harnesses like from Technicpnp that could have been used.

Does it look like the amp was being used to just power an aftermarket sub in the trunk? Where exactly are they located? The trunk floor panels are the easiest thing to just lift up to try to trace what's happening with the added wiring.
Appreciate 0