F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Lowering springs on stock set up?
ARMA SPEED

06-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #1
andyt26
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Msport

Lowering springs on stock set up?

Anyone running H&R Sport (not Super Sport) on stock shocks and struts? How’s the ride?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
oma3710
Major
Rep
Drives: ?

I'm interested to know as well.
SOLD! 435i- Cary Jordan E30 Tune~ Dinan Turbo~ BM3 trans tune~ XDI-35~ 3.5 T-map sensor~ VRSF HD FMIC~ VRSF Chargepipe~ VRSF Catless Downpipe~ CTS Intake~ FTP boost pipe~ FTP intake inlet~ FTP oil catch can~ Turbosmart dual bov~
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
N420i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 420i lightly modded

Not on this car, but I have sampled the stock shock+stiff H&R sport spring combo on other cars before and if you drive fast anytime, anywhere, in my experience it's a bad idea.

Some consider, myself included, that most cars are underdamped from stock. If you add a stiffer spring on top of that (And H&R are pretty damn stiff for street use, i love them) the shocks are just not going to be able to contain the spring and body movements, specially on the rebound.

If going slowly you might not notice this much because the stiff springs take care of most of the body movement, but if you hit a compression in the middle of a corner while really leaning on it the car is just gonna rebound violently.

It does kill the stock shocks, too, but not inmediately, it usually takes a couple of tens of thousands of miles.

It's always best to make sure spring and damping rates are matched for the purpose at hand.

H&R sport + B8 was my combo of choice for the street for quite a few years. Now i'm older and lazier and have defected to an Eibach pro kit+B8 combo which is significantly more civilized in exchange for a not insignificant hit to cornering stability and turn-in.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

This is probably one of the most discussed topics.

Quoting BMW competition "truth in engineering": matching shocks with springs never designed to work together leads to undesirable suspension behaviors. One of them: softer OEM shock cannot control spring oscillations resulting in a nervous, bounce effect.

For some drivers, the lowered visual appearance is all that's required.

But - some aftermarket shocks work better with aftermarket springs.

For best results, coilovers represent the most practical option.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Worked great for me. The shocks and springs matched fine. If you're springs had to be perfectly matched to shock dampening, then there would be no way these $3k+ adjustable suspensions would work well. There are a range of specs that work well together, and I found H&R and stock struts matched well. I'm on KW coilovers now and the ride isn't much softer that my prev spring setup.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0