F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Avin USA 10.25 android system install DIY
GetBMWParts

11-11-2018, 12:45 PM   #2443
Mikesmith2939
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 320i xdrive

I have just installed the Avin Gen2 7.1 unit to my 2013 F30 with entry nav and 6.5 nbt screen.

The issue I have is that I have tried all the car types available in the factory settings but cannot get my iDrive screen to fit properly.

Either I lose about 1cm from the right if I choose the 6.5 half screen or it stretches it way out of proportion if I choose fullscreen.

Other options just show a screen with interference. The only one that is partially usable is for 7 series 8.8 10.25 option, however I then lose about 5mm from the bottom of the screen so when I go into iDrive the last option in any screen is no visible.

I have the latest update.

Is there anything that can be done regarding this?

If not I will take it out and go back the factory unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #2444
plikmuny
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d, 330D(2019)

Android 4.4.4 2nd generation unit for F30 320d/f10/f20 for sale. It's a brand new piece and I ordered it for my F30 320d. But before it arrived my car met with an accident. Total wreckage.
So I don't need this Avin unit. I live in Germany. Price negotiable. I have not yet opened the box. If anyone interested pls contact me via pm. Want to sell it asap.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #2445
JMellBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 325xi 2006

Looks great definitely better looking than the OEM
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #2446
aclearersky
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaxadpom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
so just thought id throw this out here to help people that already have the tune2air bluetooth , an iPhone, and the CarPlay adapter. Ive been using the tune2air to play audio because audio from this unit is utter shit. Welp I bought a aux splitter. I plug the tune2air into the usb and one aux cable into the splitter. Then i connect the other cable from the headunit into the splitter. I allow my phone to connect to the tune2air and plug into the CarPlay adapter. The audio is quiet so i have to turn the settings to 40 on the headunit but the audio that comes from the CarPlay adapter is now the same as the tune2air. I have no idea why this works but Im very happy it does. Now i just have to plug into the iPhone from the CarPlay adapter cable and everything works great. Siri,Messages, Navigation all read properly . I realize this is kind of a specific set of people im talking to but it works great.
your phone send audio via BT to carplay. You should disconnect Android from Y adapter to test it.
I have spent countless hours trying to make the audio not sound like shit in a car not equipt with idrive Bluetooth and have tried about every combination of things I can and just happened to find this. Besides being quiet and costing about 200 in accessories I'm actually happy with the unit. All I use it for is carplay though. I have a USB dac and I was going to attempt to paste some code to the headunit which would eliminate the shitty audio completly but now it's about 30 degrees in Michigan so I will prolly not attempt to mess with it till it warms up
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #2447
kalinkamaen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0 Diesel

I am considering this:

http://www.phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

Looks to good to be true.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #2448
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclearersky View Post
I have spent countless hours trying to make the audio not sound like shit in a car not equipt with idrive Bluetooth and have tried about every combination of things I can and just happened to find this. Besides being quiet and costing about 200 in accessories I'm actually happy with the unit. All I use it for is carplay though. I have a USB dac and I was going to attempt to paste some code to the headunit which would eliminate the shitty audio completly but now it's about 30 degrees in Michigan so I will prolly not attempt to mess with it till it warms up
Here is the quick summary of the problem with this Android unit and BMW Aux in. I believe you also have E60 (like myself).
The input impedance of the Aux In in our cars is really bad. I have measured it at 3 distinct frequencies:
100Hz:1.04kOhm
1kHz: 995Ohm
10kHz: 180Ohm
What this mean is that if you want flat frequency response (not rolled off highs) you would need to have an audio source with very robust driver and small output impedance.

Now when you switch to our lovely Android tablet you will find that it has a really high output impedance. I believe it has 1kOhm on the output in stock configuration. What this means is that you will not have a high frequencies no matter what. The chip that drives the output requires 500Ohm or 600Ohm at minimum on the output to be stable. The solution to this is to install the inline headphone amplifier that has a really high input impedance and really low output impedance. They are not that common but can be found. I have used Samson S-amp for this experiment.

Another problem Android unit has is the poor selection of caps/resistor values they have chosen for audio path. Basically resistors and caps form a high pass filter and the default selection you will have no bass. C181 and C196 along give it -8.5dB at 30Hz based on my experiments. So the only way to get the bass back is to replace bunch of components on the unit. You will have more bass and won't need to touch the EQ. If you want high frequency spectrum you will need to add in inline amp (not any amp but the kind I have described above).

Another option is to root the unit and try routing audio via AirPlay/Chromecast/DLNA... I have tried 2 different apps but neither one offered flat frequency response! Additionally they add extra latency so you can forget about watching youtube as you will have some serious lip sync. I had it setup this way: phone connected to external BT adapter running AirPin server (automatically launched with tasker when connected to car BT along with WiFi hotspot). Android tablet will connect to Airpin once Wifi is connected (using tasker for automation).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #2449
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

tpaxadpom , can you kindly share a link to the Samson S-amp you use?

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:04 AM   #2450
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
tpaxadpom , can you kindly share a link to the Samson S-amp you use?

I don't use the amp in my system. In fact my wife is using aftermarket BT adapter and Android system is typically disabled (sound disconnected). You can do online search for samson s-amp, but it takes 18V or higher so may have to buy step up converter. It won't be plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #2451
undymm
Rep
Drives: bmw e70

parking lines

hello to all. Is there any possibility to turn off the green parking lines? I am using aftermarket reversing camera with its own moving parking lines, but those interfere with parking lines from android unit...thank You!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #2452
tpaxadpom
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by undymm View Post
hello to all. Is there any possibility to turn off the green parking lines? I am using aftermarket reversing camera with its own moving parking lines, but those interfere with parking lines from android unit...thank You!
I don't believe so. You need to get camera without parking guide lines or disable them on your camera. The one I bought offered the ability to turn off parking lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #2453
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by undymm View Post
If you had a little loop of wire on your harness, I seem to remember reading that if you cut that it removes the lines.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #2454
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

So installed Ugode 7.1 unit on my X4(same as later X3).

Very impressed so far. Installation was easy. No need to run anything to AUX and sound seems fine on both iDrive and Android side. Can stream BT music ok without any mods or external devices.

Going to use Carwebguru as launcher rather than have default ID6 interface so everything is on screen in one place.

Have been using Macrodroid to start up hotpot on phone and ensure Android BT is selected rather than BMW BT but seems a bit hit and miss - maybe my phone.

Now wanting to try and use BT teathering rather than WiFi teathering as should eliminate the need you Macrodroid but can't seem to see how to get unit to use Internet via BT- can't stop this in BT settings.

Anyone know how to get Internet via BT- teathering on these units?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #2455
Chikidan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

New to AVIN

Hi guys,

Just got my unit installed but I’m experiencing some issues with the GPS (too slow getting signal).

Would appreciate your help on where to look for solutions, firmware upgrades and so on.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:39 AM   #2456
undymm
Rep
Drives: bmw e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by irose50 View Post
If you had a little loop of wire on your harness, I seem to remember reading that if you cut that it removes the lines.
which harness do You mean- for the Avin unit? If so, it would be perfect. I can disable the lines for aftermarket camera, but I do not want to disable those, I want to disable the lines from Avin unit
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 09:22 AM   #2457
ruisilva
Rep
Drives: bmw f31 320d

Hy guys,
I have a problem with my unit, when I turn the car on the unit turns on immediately but other times it takes about 10 seconds until I have any images on the screen. This happens on both the android screen side and the original car side. Some help?

Last edited by ruisilva; 11-19-2018 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #2458
pass427
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F01 and F85

Install my unit yesterday in my 07 X5 and everything is working and I was able to get sound without plugging in the Aux however I am experiencing static when the music is down feeding thru the engine, i think its called engine noise, do I need to play with the volume settings to fix this or as anyone else experience this. I got the unit with the 7.1
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 01:22 AM   #2459
Werra2006
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 2009

Does anyone know how to order music folders alphabetically in the Music player?.......or can I change the player to something else and assign it to the widget?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #2460
munki88
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 M4

Hi I installed a unit today but I only get sound through left speaker in android mode but in bmw it works fine any ideas ? I didn’t have to use the aux
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #2461
M4greb
Rep
Drives: BMW f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by munki88 View Post
Hi I installed a unit today but I only get sound through left speaker in android mode but in bmw it works fine any ideas ? I didn’t have to use the aux
Check the green optical cable that you took out of the original harnes to put in the new harness is straight and not bent when you put the alpine/Harmon unit back on.
I had this problem with the second unit 7.1 but it’s due to the optical cable look after it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #2462
M4greb
Rep
Drives: BMW f10

Just received update from avin regarding the CarPlay app.
Anyone that had a problem with select button not working on Idrive wheel but you can navigate through apps.
They have added key learning setting on the CarPlay app.
The only way to use the select button is to assign moving the Idrive wheel to the left to act as select, which is already assigned by android As a back button.

Any ideas
To push the Idrive wheel for select instead of clicking left. Tried but no luck
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 11:36 AM   #2463
munki88
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 M4

Thanks will have to take it all back out and look it works fine through the bmw mode though so thought it might just be a settings somewhere ��
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #2464
Werra2006
Rep
Drives: X5 E70 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by munki88 View Post
You need to run the aux cable from the harness to the aux under the armrest. See video for instructions.
Appreciate 0