F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Purchasing an F34, need input please
ARMA SPEED

06-20-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
jed52994
Rep
Drives: BMW 525i, BMW 328i GT

Purchasing an F34, need input please

Hello there, I'm a brand new member. I have owned a 2004 525i for the past 10 years and I'm now looking to get something with a better mpg. The GT caught my eye because of the fastback style and with the fold-down rear seats it seems to be a practical car to have. I love red, so I know my next car will have a red interior or exterior. This red 2015 GT is in great condition. My only concern, and maybe it will grow on me, are the wheels. I'm not crazy about this style, if they were chrome then maybe. Also, how do you guys like the chrome trims on this car? The ride is pretty comparable to my car when I put it in Sports mode, but it feels a little sluggish in Comfort mode. Anyone made a change from a 5 series to the 3 series GT, I would love to hear from you. I posted pictures of my white 525i and the red GT that I'm considering for your ref. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:14 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

The chrome trim, angel eyes and wheels indicate it's a luxury line, which you'd pay more for if new. I like the wheels, more so than those on your 525. I never find mine wanting in comfort mode, I only go to sport when I anticipate wanting to pass.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
InVermont
Lieutenant Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 330Xi GT

Beautiful car

That’s one lovely car. Re the horsepower, how often can you really use the power from large displacement engines? I’ve never felt shortchanged by my GT, although I admit to switching to Sport when I anticipate a passing situation, or when I just feel young ne’er again.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT M Sport

Lol tbh your chrome wheels on the 5 is terrible. They luxury line wheels aren't my cup of tea either look for sport line or m sport trims. My m sport doesn't have chrome trim either. I'd recommend just going for the red interior, Melbourne red isn't too great on the gt unless it's m sport. And sport mode is more than adequate for me. Happy hunting.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran_Turismo View Post
Lol tbh your chrome wheels on the 5 is terrible. They luxury line wheels aren't my cup of tea either look for sport line or m sport trims. My m sport doesn't have chrome trim either. I'd recommend just going for the red interior, Melbourne red isn't too great on the gt unless it's m sport. And sport mode is more than adequate for me. Happy hunting.
I appreciate your honesty, my 5 series is so base so I really like the 20 inch wheels. I do get lots of compliments on it so maybe it looks better in person. Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned going for the red interior, because that is what got me excited about the GT. The very first one I test drove is white with red leather interior. The dealer wanted $2k over kbb so I walked away. However there is another one out of town but it has the M-sport. I'm just concerned that the ride will be firmer on an already firm suspension imo since I'm coming from a 5 series. Also are the sports seats different? I'm 5'1so some seats are not comfortable for me especially the bucket seats. I would have to be pretty sure about purchasing since I will need to fly in order to buy this GT and drive it back.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVermont View Post
That’s one lovely car. Re the horsepower, how often can you really use the power from large displacement engines? I’ve never felt shortchanged by my GT, although I admit to switching to Sport when I anticipate a passing situation, or when I just feel young ne’er again.
Thanks, but as I read thru the threads, I'm finding that I'm part of the minority that likes chrome accents . In the absence of white with red CPO inventory, this car is my next choice. I find the red in the Luxury Line to be elegant. I like the M-sport but I'm concerned that that the seats and ride might be too firm? I haven't been able to find one to test drive. As for the drive, there is a very noticeable power in pickup when you switch to Sports mode. When I test drove this car I made a comment that it feels heavy and a little unresponsive. The salesman told me to switch it to Sports mode and it's a game changer. I really enjoyed driving it in the city in DS, then when we were cruising in the freeway I was fine with Comfort mode. That made this car a perfect choice for my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You're the first I've ever seen call the GT suspension firm. I don't think the M Sport suspension is any firmer, it's mostly cosmetics, like the front bumper. The adaptive M suspension is different, but isn't necessarily on an M Sport, and is adjustable anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You're the first I've ever seen call the GT suspension firm. I don't think the M Sport suspension is any firmer, it's mostly cosmetics, like the front bumper. The adaptive M suspension is different, but isn't necessarily on an M Sport, and is adjustable anyway.
I think it's only because my 525i is very comfortable and quiet with tight steering even with the 20" wheels. It's really a great car. If I didn't come across this GT I would be driving it for another 3 years. Thanks for the info on the M-Sport. It might be worth checking out the out of town car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah the m sport is almost entirely cosmetic. I like to drive it in eco pro alot and I hate how the suspension feels so soft. So much body roll imo. Sport mode tightens up a lot and feels so much more planted but I seldom use sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #10
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Wheels can be changed if you don't like them.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
Ha11z
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335xD GT

I went from an E60 525 but the D not the i to a 335D GT msport+ in Melbourne Red. Must admit I really like the look of the red with black trim and 598 wheels. It's an xdrive so I think the suspension is softer than the RWD msport but it is still a bit firmer than my se 525 but not uncomfortably so. The day I bought the GT I'd set out to buy a 520 I'd seen a few days earlier but called in to look at a 420 coupe first. I didn't like the 420 but got my head turned by the GT at the same dealer, and even more so after the test drive.
It's taken a while to get used to the GT but that's probably because I loved the E60 (almost 10 years too) and didn't want to give it up but it needed far too much work to get it through another winter.
From the E60, some of the interior isn't finished quite as nice on the GT, but the tech is better, has better mpg, is MUCH faster, is much more practical and (I think) it looks great too!
In my case I'm happy I made the switch & hope you find something you like.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KRS_SN13513.50
      06-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I think it's only because my 525i is very comfortable and quiet with tight steering even with the 20" wheels. It's really a great car. If I didn't come across this GT I would be driving it for another 3 years. Thanks for the info on the M-Sport. It might be worth checking out the out of town car.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha11z View Post
I went from an E60 525 but the D not the i to a 335D GT msport+ in Melbourne Red. Must admit I really like the look of the red with black trim and 598 wheels. It's an xdrive so I think the suspension is softer than the RWD msport but it is still a bit firmer than my se 525 but not uncomfortably so. The day I bought the GT I'd set out to buy a 520 I'd seen a few days earlier but called in to look at a 420 coupe first. I didn't like the 420 but got my head turned by the GT at the same dealer, and even more so after the test drive.
It's taken a while to get used to the GT but that's probably because I loved the E60 (almost 10 years too) and didn't want to give it up but it needed far too much work to get it through another winter.
From the E60, some of the interior isn't finished quite as nice on the GT, but the tech is better, has better mpg, is MUCH faster, is much more practical and (I think) it looks great too!
In my case I'm happy I made the switch & hope you find something you like.
Thank you for sharing your experience and I love your car! I have never even been able to find a decently priced 335i GT here. Yes I love my E60 too. In fact in 2015 I bought a 2014 MB E350 with all the bells and whistles but kept the E60 for my daughter who was 16 at the time but not driving yet. I really enjoyed the luxirious ride of the Mercedes specially on long drives, but will always love the E60 when I drive it once a week so it doesn't just sit there. When it came to 2018 and my daughter was still not driving (she went to college and lived at the dorm so no need for a car), I decided to sell my Mercedes and went back to my E60 and had no regrets doing it either. The only thing I missed is the back-up camera . My E60 will need about $1800 in repair work in the near future that's why I'm thinking that this is a good time to upgrade. I also looked at the 428i, but I like the Audi A5 Sportback more, except since it was just introduced in the US last year, the price for a used one is still too high. Seeing your car with those wheels made me consider the local 328i GT again. As other members say, I can always change the wheels. Stay tuned!

Last edited by jed52994; 06-24-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
jed52994
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the m sport is almost entirely cosmetic. I like to drive it in eco pro alot and I hate how the suspension feels so soft. So much body roll imo. Sport mode tightens up a lot and feels so much more planted but I seldom use sport mode.
Thanks for the info. I'm now leaning towards the local 328i GT without the M-Sport. It's fully loaded and priced really well. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #15
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
That sounds like you have adaptive suspension - in that case I agree with you. However, there is supposed to be quite a difference between stock and (non-adaptive) M-sport suspensions if you don't have x-drive.The other major difference might be the M-sport brakes, but those are an option in most markets even on M-sport I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
there is supposed to be quite a difference between stock and (non-adaptive) M-sport suspensions if you don't have x-drive.
All US GTs are xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:56 AM   #17
Gran_Turismo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
That sounds like you have adaptive suspension - in that case I agree with you. However, there is supposed to be quite a difference between stock and (non-adaptive) M-sport suspensions if you don't have x-drive.The other major difference might be the M-sport brakes, but those are an option in most markets even on M-sport I think.
Nah I don't have 2vf adaptive suspension. The big difference to me is from eco to sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #18
435GranC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i GranCoupe

You can always swap the wheels if you def want the Lux Package. GT is nice, almost went for it. I wouldn't rule out the 4 series Gran Coupe either...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435GranC View Post
I wouldn't rule out the 4 series Gran Coupe either...
Unless rear seat legroom and headroom matter. That ruled out 4GC for me.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Same here. It's what I would have bought if I had a second vehicle for when I needed passenger and/or cargo space.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #21
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed52994 View Post
The dealer wanted $2k over kbb so I walked away.
Dont use KBB as a factor in your buying decision. It is a rough guide, and doenst take into account whether the previous owner hand washed the car or had 6 panels painted on 3 occasions, much less the current state of mechanicals, or anything else history based. Their option values are not accurate either. Buy the nicest car you can find. If you have to overpay for the nicest car, welcome to market based auto acquisition. If you don't have to overpay for the nicest car, thats a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #22
ttleGT335
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW328i, BMW335iGT, CadATS

Just purchased my first 335iGT two months back. Agreed with Jed, the car seems a bit slow start (not eager to go like the 328i) on the comfort mode, but behaving much better when on Sport mode for the get go and the brake is much more responsive too. Which one that you eventually purchased, M-sport or non M-Sport. Before purchasing the GT, I did test one out with the M-sport package, the car seems riding a bit harsher (could be the larger tires with 20 inch rims). I'm happy with the luxury and both of the driver assistance+ packages make the care much more fun and safe to drive.
Happen to be in the same town with you, will PM for trading note in the future.
Enjoy your new GT...
Appreciate 0