F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Normal 6MT behavior?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #23
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Perhaps this is the way the car drives and I'm just not used to it. I need to go test drive other 6MTs and see if there's a difference. Thanks for your input
Is your car an xdrive?
      01-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #24
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantix
Quote:
Perhaps this is the way the car drives and I'm just not used to it. I need to go test drive other 6MTs and see if there's a difference. Thanks for your input
Is your car an xdrive?
Nope
      02-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #25
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Couple thoughts on your original post and update:

1st Gear from a Stop. I have notice this problem recently and was starting to get concerned. I dont know that I can say its consistently when the car is totally cold versus warm (but I know I have gotten caught at a traffic light and had it happen), but sometimes it almost feels like there is an obstruction and it just doesnt want to shift into first without forcing it. I guess it could make sense that the extreme cold has something to do with it as I havent experienced this until the past couple months. For what it's worth, I know the 335 transmission is supposed to have some kind of additional lubrication compared to the 328.

I think I also experienced all of the things you mention in your updated post...most of the time I think its due to my driving with a little bit to blame on the overly-boosted throttle response of Sport mode. I almost always click into sport as soon as I turn on the car, but recently have been fooling around with Eco-Pro - not so much for the fuel economy but the ref range is much more linear (if a bit restrained). Not suggesting you put it in Eco-Pro all the time, but see if that allows you to drive it more smoothly.

I have found it has taken me longer than I expected to get used to the exact gearing of the 6MT and just recently (~8+ months of ownership) have I really felt like I know what gear I should be selecting in all situations without thinking about it.

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12ax7 View Post
Couple thoughts on your original post and update:

1st Gear from a Stop. I have notice this problem recently and was starting to get concerned. I dont know that I can say its consistently when the car is totally cold versus warm (but I know I have gotten caught at a traffic light and had it happen), but sometimes it almost feels like there is an obstruction and it just doesnt want to shift into first without forcing it. I guess it could make sense that the extreme cold has something to do with it as I havent experienced this until the past couple months. For what it's worth, I know the 335 transmission is supposed to have some kind of additional lubrication compared to the 328.

I think I also experienced all of the things you mention in your updated post...most of the time I think its due to my driving with a little bit to blame on the overly-boosted throttle response of Sport mode. I almost always click into sport as soon as I turn on the car, but recently have been fooling around with Eco-Pro - not so much for the fuel economy but the ref range is much more linear (if a bit restrained). Not suggesting you put it in Eco-Pro all the time, but see if that allows you to drive it more smoothly.

I have found it has taken me longer than I expected to get used to the exact gearing of the 6MT and just recently (~8+ months of ownership) have I really felt like I know what gear I should be selecting in all situations without thinking about it.
Thanks for responding. Yeah, I can't say it's consistent either. I've only noticed it on brutally cold winter days when it's say under 20 degrees out. It was so bad one time that I didn't realize I wasn't fully in 2nd gear and it grinded for about 3 seconds (had the radio up and couldn't hear grinding but noticed the car wasn't going anywhere).

As for driving smoothly...I've learned to just deal with revving the rpms up to 3k before shifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd. As much as the engine sounds like it's struggling with the high pitched note, it has really smoothed out the shifts. I would imagine the sound is normal and no strain is put on the engine; that is what they're designed for afterall.

8 months of ownership here too and I'm still a bit shakey on the rev matching. I feel like the response in the blip isn't as pronounced as I'd expect. In the time that I've blipped, downshifted and released the clutch again the rpms have risen only very slightly. To counter this, I find myself blipping with the gas pedal to the floor as opposed to what an actual blip should be with maybe 1/4 or 1/2 way of pedal travel.
      02-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #27
R12ax7
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 340xi

Garage List
2011 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
To counter this, I find myself blipping with the gas pedal to the floor as opposed to what an actual blip should be with maybe 1/4 or 1/2 way of pedal travel.
Exactly! So annoying. I wonder if the JB4 of MPPK substantially smooths out the throttle response. It really is a shame you have to make such a deep stab of the gas to get a rev match and at that point you are kind of guessing.

As for the engagement of 1st from a dead stop, this weekend we had some great weather (high 50s) and i had one of those moments at a stop light. So I have to say the outside temperature doesnt seem to be the main factor. That being said, the car was not fully warmed up (internally). I really dont know how long it should take the transmission to "warm up" though, if at all.

I am starting to worry that I am experiencing this more frequently, hopefully that is not the case and its just because I am focusing on it now. I will be taking her in for the first service in ~1400 miles so I will definitely be mentioning it.

Retired:
2018 330xi | 2016 340i 6MT | 2013 335i 6MT |
2011 328i 6MT (N52) | 2008 335xi (N54)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:40 PM   #28
robban87
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i -12

Hi! Picking up an old thread here

Did this ever turn out to be an issue? I'm having the same clunky noise in the same situation you describe and I have no clue whether or not to worry
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #29
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robban87 View Post
Hi! Picking up an old thread here

Did this ever turn out to be an issue? I'm having the same clunky noise in the same situation you describe and I have no clue whether or not to worry
If you release the clutch too quickly (depress the pedal) in first gear while coasting at higher RPMs, you will get that clunk. It's because the car is decelerating rapidly through engine braking and when you press the clutch, it suddenly disengages the engine from the car so the car stops decelerating all of a sudden and you can feel that.

To avoid this, you should be giving light throttle and pressing the clutch a bit more smoothly.
Appreciate 0