F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Idrive controller differences?
Studio RSR

07-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

Idrive controller differences?

Hi guys,

Can anyone explain the differences between the iDrive controllers ? I mean besides the obvious being the size of the wheel ? I currently have the one with the small wheel and was contemplating going for the bigger one ... however seeing as the one I have sports five buttons at the top; media, radio, menu, telephone and navigation; wouldn't I just be better off replacing the small wheel with a bigger one ? If possible ? Or what am I missing ? Obviously I'm comparing two identical setups other than the size of the wheel .. so no touch or ceramic or anything - just 1:1 ...

Hope it makes sense ?

Btw... disregard the cd button on the image below .. just find a picture online to visualise what I'm babbling about ..

So is worth spending 120$ on a new iDrive controller or can exchange the wheel itself on my current ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

The bottom one you can use the top of the button to write stuff on the screen but you need an adapter to make that part work.

So you would just be getting the different look. If you can find a ceramic one that looks much nicer.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSTryk View Post
Hi guys,

Can anyone explain the differences between the iDrive controllers ? I mean besides the obvious being the size of the wheel ? I currently have the one with the small wheel and was contemplating going for the bigger one ... however seeing as the one I have sports five buttons at the top; media, radio, menu, telephone and navigation; wouldn't I just be better off replacing the small wheel with a bigger one ? If possible ? Or what am I missing ? Obviously I'm comparing two identical setups other than the size of the wheel .. so no touch or ceramic or anything - just 1:1 ...

Hope it makes sense ?

Btw... disregard the cd button on the image below .. just find a picture online to visualise what I'm babbling about ..

So is worth spending 120$ on a new iDrive controller or can exchange the wheel itself on my current ?
What model and year is your car?

Navigation or not?

Is it a CIC or early NBT unit?

I fully expect you have a CIC or early NBT unit which works on KCAN and the larger iDrive Controllers work on KCAN2, a different bus.

This means you would have to do some rewiring in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope it makes sense ?

Navigation or not?

I fully expect you have a CIC or early NBT unit which works on KCAN and the larger iDrive Controllers work on KCAN2, a different bus.

I have a 316D F31 LCI Model. 2016 ... I have business navigation and NBT...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

[QUOTE=DavidSTryk;25018632]
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope it makes sense ?

Navigation or not?

Maybe I actually have NBT EVO??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=DavidSTryk;25018676]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Hope it makes sense ?

Navigation or not?

Then you do not need to rewire.

Simple swap.

Surprised you do not have a touch controller already.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

I think it's different in Germany (where the car was bought by the first owner) and from what I can see in Denmark, where I live, most cars have the small iDrive wheel except for cars with navigation pro...

But to get back to my original question - is it possible to just swap the wheel itself if that's the only difference between the two since I don't care about the touch part ?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #8
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
But to get back to my original question - is it possible to just swap the wheel itself if that's the only difference between the two since I don't care about the touch part ?
Yes, it's possible - the wheel can be found on eBay or amazon. Here a video I found with instructions:

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #9
CarFan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 3.5 Premium

Garage List
Is it possible to switch the larger knob for the smaller one? For some reason when I have a front seat passenger they end up resting their arm against the side of the knob causing the center screen to change -- map, music etc. I've only had the vehicle a month and never had this problem with my e92 but it seems that any trip longer than 25 mins or so it happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
emulajavi
First Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: MINI JCW F56

Quote:

Hi. How did you get the info (current I-level state vs factory, etc) of the first of your pictures?

Thanks

Last edited by emulajavi; 07-23-2019 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 09:28 PM   #11
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it's different in Germany (where the car was bought by the first owner) and from what I can see in Denmark, where I live, most cars have the small iDrive wheel except for cars with navigation pro...

Just swap the controllers.

Simple operation. Swapping the knobs would be trickier.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:44 AM   #12
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

[QUOTE=emulajavi;25047147]
Quote:
Quote:

Hi. How did you get the info (current I-level state vs factory, etc) of the first of your pictures? T
Patrys@BimmerTech sent me the info ... you can insert your vin on bimmerTech's website and they will send back full specification as well as which options are available through their offerings on the Webshop.
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      07-20-2019, 01:45 AM   #13
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I ended up buying a ceramic touch controller ... just wished retrospectively that I had bought the newer version as I'm contemplating switch to NBT evo ...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #14
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I ended up buying a ceramic touch controller ... just wished retrospectively that I had bought the newer version as I'm contemplating switch to NBT evo ...
You can always sell the older unit.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:50 AM   #15
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right ... it would just be easier just to switch out the buttons rather than having to sell one unit and buying another
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 02:05 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right ... it would just be easier just to switch out the buttons rather than having to sell one unit and buying another
No it wouldn't.

You need to look closer at the 2 devices.

The solution is to sell the older and purchase the newer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:24 AM   #17
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No it wouldn't.

You need to look closer at the 2 devices.

The solution is to sell the older and purchase the newer.
I think I'll stick to my own plan and let experience dictate what's easier or not instead of relying on your presumption... I don't think you understand what it is I mean/want to do.

Anyway - thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0