F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
ARMA SPEED

10-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #23
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSound View Post
Sign me up Should be compatible with '14 F22...

Are you going to sell this off your website in November?

Yep, it will work with both the 6.5" screen and 8.8" on your vehicle. If you have NBT, you will need to remove the glovebox to tuck the MMI box into mounting location but it's not overly difficult.

It will be available on the sponsor classified section as well as on our website available for purchase and I will be sure to announce it.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 03:07 PM   #24
InTheSound
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 '18

Nice! I do have the 8.8 NBT. Thanks for the update and doing the testing. I?ll watch for your announcement then!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:17 PM   #25
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Will it work on a 2012 F30 with the 6.5” screen and no nav? I think that’s CIC. Also, will you ship to the USA from your website?

Last edited by seancarlin; 10-13-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:24 AM   #26
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarlin View Post
Will it work on a 2012 F30 with the 6.5” screen and no nav? I think that’s CIC. Also, will you ship to the USA from your website?
You have HU_ENTRY which is one of the confirmed working setups. Installation will be very simple for you since your factory head unit is small enough to also fit the CarPlay module in the same compartment.

Yep, we ship anywhere within the US and Canada.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #27
Aevintiri
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Black 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by seancarlin View Post
You have HU_ENTRY which is one of the confirmed working setups. Installation will be very simple for you since your factory head unit is small enough to also fit the CarPlay module in the same compartment.

Yep, we ship anywhere within the US and Canada.
Nice! Better solution than the 2800$ retrofit from bimmertech.
      10-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #28
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Awesome, looking forward to getting one. Thanks, Steve!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #29
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Does the CarPlay module work via HDMI? Does it include the MMI or is that an extra cost? Does the iPhone connect into the factory USB port, and if so, can you still use it for music?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #30
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Does the CarPlay module work via HDMI? Does it include the MMI or is that an extra cost? Does the iPhone connect into the factory USB port, and if so, can you still use it for music?
Display is via LDVS and piggy backs onto your OEM screen. You will need to plug the OEM APIX display cable into the MMI box and there will be another cable to connect back into your OEM screen from the MMI box. To trigger CarPlay, you need to press the No.8 shortcut key on the climate control.
This MMI box is solely for CarPlay and does not have any sort of aftermarket interface.

The iPhone connects to a separate USB port that comes with the MMI box which you can either run to the Glovebox or Armrest. The amperage on this USB port is actually higher than the OEM port so charging is way faster.

Once your iPhone is connected to the CarPlay MMI box, you must change the Audio source on the BMW interface to AUX for audio to work. When you're running on CarPlay, you will be able to browse and play tracks off Spotify, your Music Collection as well as any other compatible apps.

We'll have a video of the device in action next week.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #31
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Does the CarPlay work over Bluetooth?

10-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #32
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Does the CarPlay work over Bluetooth?
Wired over USB directly to the MMI box.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #33
ooshnoo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i and 2018 X5

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
2014 BMW 428i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wired over USB directly to the MMI box.
Crap. That may be a deal breaker for me. I wonder if a USB bluetooth adapter would work...

10-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #34
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooshnoo View Post
Crap. That may be a deal breaker for me. I wonder if a USB bluetooth adapter would work...
CarPlay is too complex to be used over a Bluetooth Connection. The OEM BMW CarPlay uses Wi-Fi.

Personally, I would prefer USB since the wireless version is known to be a bit laggy and doesn't use the full dimensions of your screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Subscribing!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #36
arom
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 320i xdrive

So in order to use the audio of CarPlay it has to be set to AUX mode? Im that case you wouldn?t be able to listen to FM music and get turn by turn via the CarPlay navigation?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #37
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arom View Post
So in order to use the audio of CarPlay it has to be set to AUX mode? Im that case you wouldn?t be able to listen to FM music and get turn by turn via the CarPlay navigation?
Correct. You can still use CarPlay while listening to AM/FM or Sirius XM but you will not be able to hear the voice instructions given by CarPlay if you are using it for Navigation.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #38
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arom View Post
Correct. You can still use CarPlay while listening to AM/FM or Sirius XM but you will not be able to hear the voice instructions given by CarPlay if you are using it for Navigation.
Wait a second... sorry if I'm late to the party here as far as CarPlay goes but are you saying that CarPlay and this device will use your phone for navigation and it will show up on the hu_entry 6.5" screen with no combox and all you need is to have your iPhone hooked up via USB?

I have been thinking about a $2000 nbt retrofit for the last year to get things like album art, Bluetooth music and navigation. Maybe this thing is the way to go!

Is there any chance you can provide a full list of features that this will add to a car with hu_entry? It is really too bad that the iPhone needs to be connected to the car but if you are able to confirm that Tidal would be able to be controlled via idrive so I don't have to touch my phone to scroll through playlists or skip songs while driving oh my I would sure be happy!

Thanks! And looking forward to seeing a video of this is action!
      10-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #39
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Wait a second... sorry if I'm late to the party here as far as CarPlay goes but are you saying that CarPlay and this device will use your phone for navigation and it will show up on the hu_entry 6.5" screen with no combox and all you need is to have your iPhone hooked up via USB?

I have been thinking about a $2000 nbt retrofit for the last year to get things like album art, Bluetooth music and navigation. Maybe this thing is the way to go!

Is there any chance you can provide a full list of features that this will add to a car with hu_entry? It is really too bad that the iPhone needs to be connected to the car but if you are able to confirm that Tidal would be able to be controlled via idrive so I don't have to touch my phone to scroll through playlists or skip songs while driving oh my I would sure be happy!

Thanks! And looking forward to seeing a video of this is action!
That's right! You can use your existing screen and head unit and this would be an add-on to your OEM setup.

This CarPlay addon will give you all of the features integrated with CarPlay that runs off your phone such as Siri Voice Control integration, Music Playback, access to apps such as Spotify and Tunein Radio and also Apple Maps. Yes your phone has to be connected at all times but you will have Navigation on your vehicle and access to your music without having to spend over $2000 on a NBT retrofit.

You can browse and skips songs either directly from the carplay interface or via the thumb wheel on the steering wheel. You can also navigate through the CarPlay menu using the OEM iDrive controller just like on BMW's version of CarPlay.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 01:14 PM   #40
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
That's right! You can use your existing screen and head unit and this would be an add-on to your OEM setup.

This CarPlay addon will give you all of the features integrated with CarPlay that runs off your phone such as Siri Voice Control integration, Music Playback, access to apps such as Spotify and Tunein Radio and also Apple Maps. Yes your phone has to be connected at all times but you will have Navigation on your vehicle and access to your music without having to spend over $2000 on a NBT retrofit.

You can browse and skips songs either directly from the carplay interface or via the thumb wheel on the steering wheel. You can also navigate through the CarPlay menu using the OEM iDrive controller just like on BMW's version of CarPlay.

Hope this helps!
Sounds awesome! And i am pumped that you are in Canada as that might potentially make this even more cost effective for me as far as shipping costs go.
When will you have a comprehensive video showing all the features on a car with HU_ENTRY and more importantly when are they available for sale and what is the cost?
One other question, with CarPlay can you screen mirror or have video playing from netflix or youtube? I imagine some fancy jailbreaking of iphone is likely required, sorry for being a noob
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #41
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Steve, as mentioned a couple of times before I'm really interested in this product. Can you PM me with an approximate price and if possible, can I put down a deposit to get my hands on this in the first batch?

Also, I want to add I live in Spain so would delivery here be an issue? In fact, I work in an overseas territory of the UK called Gibraltar, so if delivery is possible there, that would be great as I could avoid the VAT and duty when the unit arrives over here....
      10-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #42
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Steve,

Concerned about the Aux audio issue, as if I wanted to use NBT nav (so that I get turn-by-turn in the HUD) and listen to music on CarPlay at the same time, it's a no-go. Is this correct?

Regardless, given the results of your evaluation so far, I'm interested in this product if the price is right. Please keep posting your feedback as you evaluate!

Are you still on-track for 2nd week of November availability? Any idea on price?

Thanks!

Last edited by torqueflite; 10-18-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #43
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
Steve, as mentioned a couple of times before I'm really interested in this product. Can you PM me with an approximate price and if possible, can I put down a deposit to get my hands on this in the first batch?

Also, I want to add I live in Spain so would delivery here be an issue? In fact, I work in an overseas territory of the UK called Gibraltar, so if delivery is possible there, that would be great as I could avoid the VAT and duty when the unit arrives over here....
Yep, you've definitely been following all my posts about this. Ok! I sent you a PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #44
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
Steve,

Concerned about the Aux audio issue, as if I wanted to use NBT nav (so that I get turn-by-turn in the HUD) and listen to music on CarPlay at the same time, it's a no-go. Is this correct?

Regardless, given the results of your evaluation so far, I'm interested in this product if the price is right. Please keep posting your feedback as you evaluate!

Are you still on-track for 2nd week of November availability? Any idea on price?

Thanks!
You just brought up a very interesting test case. It might actually still be possible to have turn by turn directions on the HUD while listening to CarPlay. I'll see if I can test that and report back.

As for pricing, we cannot post that here due to forum rules so you can either PM me directly or wait until we have the corresponding commercial thread in the sponsorship classified section.

Yes, we're still on track with 2nd week of November. Right now, we're sorting out some compatibility issues with iOS 11 with the manufacturer but we will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0