F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > VRSF
Extreme Powerhouse

07-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

VRSF

Any experience with VRSF catted downpipe for B58? It's a lot cheaper than other catted ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
bmw22915
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
Any experience with VRSF catted downpipe for B58? It's a lot cheaper than other catted ones.
All I will say is, you usually get what you pay for in the automotive industry.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

What I posted on the AUS Facebook page:

Quote:
After much back and forth with VRSF, via email and, more recently, via the F30 forums, I have concluded that I will never buy another one of their products.

Full context of the story can be found here: https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...?f=74&t=119046

I also expressed the same sentiments on the F30 forums and, similarly to my email correspondence with them, VRSF continues to skirt around and ignore my technical query re: the very inflexible flex-joint and its effects (if any) due to the lack of a supporting bracket.

Remember, this supporting bracket exists on the OEM B58 downpipe and every single B58 aftermarket downpipe made by Akrapovic, BCS, Wagner Tuning, Evolution Racewerks and CG Precision.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1608166

Now take from that what you will. I am not a qualified engineer, but I'm also not stupid.

I'll only advocate a product to this group if I believe in it. And, unfortunately in this case, I don't.

To clarify - the lack of a supporting bracket may be completely fine. But to date, I've not been given any sound technical reasoning and for a part that could potentially lead to a crack on the hot-side turbo housing, I won't risk it and I definitely won't advocate for others to risk their cars either.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 07:43 AM   #4
CntryClub007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i | 2015 X5-50i

I installed the CG Precision this week, couldn't be happier with it. Sounds like VRSF has some damage control to do.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Thank you guys. It looks like I'm going with CG or ER.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

From a structure standpoint, since the "flex coupler" doesn't flex, there isn't really a need for the hanger bracket. The DP bolts firmly to the turbo, and to the mid-pipe which has a bracket/nut to secure it to the body. If the flex coupler was as mobile as the OEM, then you would need that extra bracket to prevent the DP from flopping around. That being said, I'm unclear on why there is that "flex" coupler on the VSRF DP since it's 100% rigid.

When I installed it on my 340xi, it needs to be tweaked about an inch at the outlet side of the DP (right now it's mashed up against the tunnel brace and I'm waiting for VSRF to get back to me about the pictures I sent).
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
CrushJelly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
From a structure standpoint, since the "flex coupler" doesn't flex, there isn't really a need for the hanger bracket. The DP bolts firmly to the turbo, and to the mid-pipe which has a bracket/nut to secure it to the body. If the flex coupler was as mobile as the OEM, then you would need that extra bracket to prevent the DP from flopping around. That being said, I'm unclear on why there is that "flex" coupler on the VSRF DP since it's 100% rigid.

When I installed it on my 340xi, it needs to be tweaked about an inch at the outlet side of the DP (right now it's mashed up against the tunnel brace and I'm waiting for VSRF to get back to me about the pictures I sent).
Exactly. It’s completely 100% rigid, and Tiago would never admit to that, nor explain to me why it was that way.

Being rigid, all mid pipe and backbox movement would thus be transferred straight to the turbo/exhaust coupling. Hence the concern re: no bracket and potential cracking of the turbo flange, which my exhaust installer has seen on a number of N55’s. The DP on the B58 is even bigger and heavier, so I don’t believe my concerned is unwarranted. Tiago couldn’t allay my concerns as he never bothered to talk technical to me.

It’s simply not good engineering.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I will say that when I had my CG DP installed on my N55, the bracket was completely off and could not be used/mounted. Almost as if it were welded in the wrong place. Been running it for a couple months with zero issues though and mechanics did not see this as a concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #9
PURE340i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i & 2011 335d

Never had a problem with my vrsf fitment and same with the owner that took over. I'm running the ER now.
Appreciate 1
J3Vr610.50
      07-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #10
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

-

Last edited by drivef30; 07-22-2019 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 11:45 PM   #11
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
VRSF is known to have fitment issues on all engines available with F30 platform. Its very hit or miss doing business with them. Why risk it?
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I contacted VSRF and they requested I pull mine off my 340 and send it back for inspection/refund.

I replaced it with a ER one that slide in perfectly, with no issues. The ER's "flex" coupling isn't as sloppy as OEM, but does move with a little hand pressure.

Interesting differences though:
VSRF has a 5", 200 cell cat. Once installed, sounds change isn't a whole lot different than OEM. Maybe 10-20%?

ER has a 4", 200 cell cat. Exhaust has a crisp raspy note.

I would have expect the opposite with the cat sizes. I did have CEL errors for the second O2 sensor (BM3, stage 2 flash) when outside temps started to increase. I haven't had any yet on the ER, but it has been quite cool and rainy since I put it on. Smaller cat might address this.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2019, 01:42 AM   #13
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
We have hundreds of these in the wild without issue. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to shoot over a PM and I'll be happy to assist. If you'd like affirmation from a third party with first hand experience, feel free to ask any of the reputable vendors on this forum who sell our products. They'll be the first to tell you this downpipe fits without issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon_45 View Post
My fitment isn't good. Whenever I go from 2k to 3k rpm I get this loud raspy noise. VRSF hasn't replied to my emails...
We've exchanged several e-mails and I'm obligated to quote your statement. Not once do you mention anything related to a fitment issue, you simply say the shop things the sound you're experiencing may be related to the "flex section". After listening to the video you provided, we've determined it's an exhaust leak. In either case, this has nothing to do with fitment.

"Hello, I’ve been having an issue with my downpipe. At 2.5k it’ll do a loud resonating, sort of like a civic sound exhaust noise (lol). After 3k it’ll go away but it’s pretty annoying. This shop named xxx installed it and said the the flex section was too stiff, any ideas?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post

This issue applies to the catted downpipes only which have undergone a revision to correct the exact issue mentioned. I apologize for the inconvenience. I'm sure this has already been resolved but if it hasn't please shoot over a PM and I'll make sure this is addressed personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjaman View Post
After much back and forth with VRSF, via email and, more recently, via the F30 forums, I have concluded that I will never buy another one of their products.

Full context of the story can be found here: https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...?f=74&t=119046

I also expressed the same sentiments on the F30 forums and, similarly to my email correspondence with them, VRSF continues to skirt around and ignore my technical query re: the very inflexible flex-joint and its effects (if any) due to the lack of a supporting bracket.

Remember, this supporting bracket exists on the OEM B58 downpipe and every single B58 aftermarket downpipe made by Akrapovic, BCS, Wagner Tuning, Evolution Racewerks and CG Precision.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1608166

Now take from that what you will. I am not a qualified engineer, but I'm also not stupid.

I'll only advocate a product to this group if I believe in it. And, unfortunately in this case, I don't.

To clarify - the lack of a supporting bracket may be completely fine. But to date, I've not been given any sound technical reasoning and for a part that could potentially lead to a crack on the hot-side turbo housing, I won't risk it and I definitely won't advocate for others to risk their cars either.
You're right, you're not a qualified engineer. Myself and the people on my team in charge of designing BMW parts without the BMW-tax are qualified engineers

We've sold literally thousands of downpipes without the bracket across the N20, N54, N55, S55 and B58 platforms with absolutely zero negative consequences. Please stop spreading your mis-informed, unsubstantiated opinion as if you are qualified to do so. We have over 30 years of combined engineering experience between us over at VRSF. While you are entitled to your opinion, you should refrain from spreading BS until you can back your claims with facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURE340i View Post
Never had a problem with my vrsf fitment and same with the owner that took over. I'm running the ER now.
Thank you for your honesty, we greatly appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
VRSF is known to have fitment issues on all engines available with F30 platform. Its very hit or miss doing business with them. Why risk it?
I'm seeing more do nothing haters in this thread than actual people who have had experience with our products. Before anyone makes an actual assessment of our products or quality, please take the time to ask your preferred vendor what they think. We have over 450 wholesale distributors who carry our brand and any one of them will be more than honest about the fitment of our products.

Any popular vendor on this forum will gladly tell you this product will fit without issue.
Appreciate 1
PURE340i104.00
      07-24-2019, 04:32 AM   #14
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Mine works like a rockstar, ...... sounds loud as f*ck, chicks dig it, neighbor's hate it!
      07-24-2019, 06:24 AM   #15
J3Vr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (RWD)

Never had an issue with my catted VRSF. Fit perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:27 PM   #16
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I've yet to began tuning mods on my B58 but I installed and reviewed one of the earliest sets of N54 downpipes.
Ran them for 7yrs without issue.
Now if I could just get them to make products for my Raptor
Hint hint Tiago@VRSF
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:23 AM   #17
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
Mine works like a rockstar, ...... sounds loud as f*ck, chicks dig it, neighbor's hate it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J3Vr6 View Post
Never had an issue with my catted VRSF. Fit perfectly.
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences, we greatly appreciate the support!
Appreciate 1