F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > stage 1 vs MPPSK?
proTUNING Freaks

06-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #23
JoHnMuir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
I wonder if the minimum remains the same at 89, or if MPPSK makes the minimum grade 91.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:41 AM   #24
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
The reality is they have to design it to use 91. 93 may be "recommended" but is definitely not required. CA is too big of a market for them to just ignore that and they're well aware.
      06-30-2022, 11:50 AM   #25
IMS-340C
Major
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Self Tuned 340i 8AT RWD

MPPSK runs well on 92RON/87OCT in cold weather but not so good in hot weather, BMW has to make sure their tunes run well in all weather conditions.
      06-30-2022, 11:52 AM   #26
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzynthe View Post
Doesnt the MPPSK require 98 RON? So surely a stage 1 ACN91 would be better if you have poor quality fuel?
RON 98 is recommended for MPPSK, but not required. It works fine with even lower than RON 95 as some parts of the world don't even have access to that. But to avoid timing and knock adaptations from the engine (and ensure full performance in most environmental conditions), BMW recommend RON 98.
      10-01-2022, 02:08 AM   #27
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMS-340C View Post
From my experience there is not huge difference in power between MPPSK and any other tune when using low octane fuel.
Jumped from N55 Forum.
I'm living in LA, shitty gas too. After tons of research on Bimmerpost as a newbie. It looks like E30 is the only way we can perfectly run and get some real performance. cuz even ACN 91 map got a lot of issues such as knocks/timing pulls according to N55 forum. My car is FBO recently for stage 2 tuning btw but not tuned anything yet. just got the BM3 license.

My questions are
1. Can I just mix California 91octane pump gas with decent amount of E85 to make it proper 91octane gas in order to run Stage 2 OTS 91 map properly without any knocks or time pulling issue? I'm not greedy LOL. and I wanna keep this the car as long as I can also fair amount of enhancements.

2. If we can, do I have to be precisely calculate how many gallons gas&E85 each time? or just Run till low tank and do the approx. same every time.

MODS:
Stock Fuel system.
Stock ignition system.
CSF Intercooler
FTP charge pipe+boost pipe
MST Inlet
Full MPE + Fabspeed Sport catted DP
Turbosmart DV BOV
No tune for now.

Thank you for sharing your tuning, very impressive! Really need some advices/ideas as a first-time tuner. Anyone live in ACN or using ACN tier gas can jump in and share, I'd really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 03:45 PM   #28
WDE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440iGC F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlr1225 View Post
Quote:
From my experience there is not huge difference in power between MPPSK and any other tune when using low octane fuel.
Jumped from N55 Forum.
I'm living in LA, shitty gas too. After tons of research on Bimmerpost as a newbie. It looks like E30 is the only way we can perfectly run and get some real performance. cuz even ACN 91 map got a lot of issues such as knocks/timing pulls according to N55 forum. My car is FBO recently for stage 2 tuning btw but not tuned anything yet. just got the BM3 license.

My questions are
1. Can I just mix California 91octane pump gas with decent amount of E85 to make it proper 91octane gas in order to run Stage 2 OTS 91 map properly without any knocks or time pulling issue? I'm not greedy LOL. and I wanna keep this the car as long as I can also fair amount of enhancements.

2. If we can, do I have to be precisely calculate how many gallons gas&E85 each time? or just Run till low tank and do the approx. same every time.

MODS:
Stock Fuel system.
Stock ignition system.
CSF Intercooler
MST Inlet
Turbosmart DV BOV
No tune for now.

Thank you for sharing your tuning, very impressive! Really need some advices/ideas as a first-time tuner. Anyone live in ACN or using ACN tier gas can jump in and share, I'd really appreciate it.
Tune it and log parameters.
      10-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #29
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Jumped from N55 Forum.

My questions are

MODS:
Stock Fuel system.
Stock ignition system.
CSF Intercooler
MST Inlet
Turbosmart DV BOV
No tune for now.

Since your intent is to use ethanol as an gasoline octane booster and not to run ethanol tunes, there is no reason to over think it or get into measuring it.

Your stock gasoline in CA is probably E10, or 10% ethanol like it is in most of the country. Just add 1-2 gallons of E85 per full tankful of gasoline. Each gallon is about 5% so you'll actually be running E15-E20. That should be more than enough to reduce excess timing adjustments due to poor gasoline quality.

Don't go crazy and think that even more ethanol than that is better. Depending on your engine, you can start hitting fuel pump flow maximums at as low as E35. Plus once you clean up timing, any extra octane is just wasted unless a tune is used that would take advantage of it.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2022, 08:03 PM   #30
ericlr1225
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Since your intent is to use ethanol as an gasoline octane booster and not to run ethanol tunes, there is no reason to over think it or get into measuring it.

Your stock gasoline in CA is probably E10, or 10% ethanol like it is in most of the country. Just add 1-2 gallons of E85 per full tankful of gasoline. Each gallon is about 5% so you'll actually be running E15-E20. That should be more than enough to reduce excess timing adjustments due to poor gasoline quality.

Don't go crazy and think that even more ethanol than that is better. Depending on your engine, you can start hitting fuel pump flow maximums at as low as E35. Plus once you clean up timing, any extra octane is just wasted unless a tune is used that would take advantage of it.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the info, I just figured out how to use e85Cal APP to control Emix fuel precisely for every tank. According experiences from people who also from California in this forum, CA 91 pump gas (more like 89octane) couldn't even run ACN OTS map nicely. It looks like Emix or WMI are the only option we can go.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2022, 09:00 PM   #31
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the info, I just figured out how to use e85Cal APP to control Emix fuel precisely for every tank. According experiences from people who also from California in this forum, CA 91 pump gas (more like 89octane) couldn't even run ACN OTS map nicely. It looks like Emix or WMI are the only option we can go.
e85Cal is a nice phone app. I've played around with it a lot. A couple of things that I've noticed:

The 60 liter tank is supposed to be 15.85 gallons. But gas pumps shut off early and inconsistently. So I tend to use 15.6 gallons as the amount that the tank holds.

As far as the gas gauge goes, each tick mark equals 5% of the tank. But when I let it go all of the way down to what should be zero % and then fill up, I can calculate backwards using the before and after ethanol % readings, and the gas pump receipt showing exactly how many gallons were pumped in.

Usually the calculation tells me that when the gas gauge says zero % then there is really about 0.8 gallons actually remaining in the tank.

If I want to end up with a very specific ethanol % in the tank, say like E50 if I'm collecting engine logs with different tunes for analysis. Then I purposely do not try to fill the tank. I've found that if I add a calculated amount of E85 and then just fill up the remainder of the tank with 93 octane, the result can be off as much as 3-4% from my intended target.

But if I assume that I have 0.8 of a gallon of whatever the starting E% is, then I assume that it's a 15.0 gallon tank or less. Then I use e85Cal to calculate exact gallons of E85 and 93 to give me the ending % that I want. So the tank won't be totally full but the ending ethanol percentage is usually within 1% of my target.

Just some e85Cal phone app trivia in case anyone finds it useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:12 AM   #32
efac
Rep
Drives: BMW 440 Gran Coupe

I have a stock Gran Coupe 440. MPPSK is quite costly vs a stage 1 tune. I also have extended warranty on it so not sure if that falls under regular warranty if tuned. Is the BootMod3 the better option for stage 1 stock as it sounds it's pretty easy to go back to stock if/when needed.

Appreciate the help
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 03:25 PM   #33
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Your extended warranty would be gone if you use an external tune! That mus the clear. Even if you go back and flash back to stock - the dealer would see it has been tuned and manipulated.

So if you want to keep your warranty - MPPSK is the only way.

Besides that - it is costly but not expensive. It features a state of the art valved exhaust, which is worth the money. It will remain a great feature even if you in the future move on to an external tune.

That’s what I did and never regretted it, despite the money. I had MPPSK for about 3 years before putting MHD.
      05-26-2023, 10:23 PM   #34
charlie fairmont
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: His & hers, GC & X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Your extended warranty would be gone if you use an external tune! That mus the clear. Even if you go back and flash back to stock - the dealer would see it has been tuned and manipulated.

So if you want to keep your warranty - MPPSK is the only way.

Besides that - it is costly but not expensive. It features a state of the art valved exhaust, which is worth the money. It will remain a great feature even if you in the future move on to an external tune.

That’s what I did and never regretted it, despite the money. I had MPPSK for about 3 years before putting MHD.
How do the exhaust valves work with MHD? Do they still open when you press "Sport" and close in "Comfort?"
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 02:28 AM   #35
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Exactly the same as stock/MPPSK, unless you choose to force them open/close. The control logic is by default unchanged.
      05-31-2023, 08:02 AM   #36
Cytoplasm0671
Armchair Aristocrat
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

As others said, the real benefit of the stage 1 tune is both the greater horsepower but also the customizations like no cat heating on startup, increasing/reducing burble (I disabled it), exhaust valve control, removing cat check engine light, running logs to check engine health, etcetcetc

Last edited by Cytoplasm0671; 05-31-2023 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 03:35 PM   #37
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by efac View Post
I have a stock Gran Coupe 440. MPPSK is quite costly vs a stage 1 tune. I also have extended warranty on it so not sure if that falls under regular warranty if tuned. Is the BootMod3 the better option for stage 1 stock as it sounds it's pretty easy to go back to stock if/when needed.

Appreciate the help

I think everyone struggles with the cost of MPPSK but it like others have said it really is worth the money And the only option if you want to keep your warranty intact.

Was the best money I spent getting mine done and let’s not forget it’s giving you a fully cat back system with valve control and Zero drone when your cruising in comfort mode on longer trips.

Would definitely recommend it
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1889.50