F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > About to buy '19 440i M-Sport -- feedback?
GetBMWParts

06-27-2022, 12:06 PM   #1
h1pst3r88
Rep
Drives: 2011 328Xi Coupe

About to buy '19 440i M-Sport -- feedback?

Hello good folks!

I have loved my '11 e92 328iX coupe for several years (with M3 interior) but it's time to give it to my college son. After looking around I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Snapper Rocks Blue M-Sport 440i.

It has 59k and will head to my longtime mechanic (Frank at Ray Team in Waltham, MA) tomorrow morning for a PPI.

I was wondering what folks' feedback is about reliability and overall ownership experience.

I am inclined to do the MSSPK upgrade and am kicking around the idea of swapping out the blue interior with a red M4 interior (muck like I did with the e92, though that's tan).

Would love feedback from any owners of the same car!

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
aardate
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1pst3r88 View Post
Hello good folks!

I have loved my '11 e92 328iX coupe for several years (with M3 interior) but it's time to give it to my college son. After looking around I am about to pull the trigger on a 2019 Snapper Rocks Blue M-Sport 440i.

It has 59k and will head to my longtime mechanic (Frank at Ray Team in Waltham, MA) tomorrow morning for a PPI.

I was wondering what folks' feedback is about reliability and overall ownership experience.

I am inclined to do the MSSPK upgrade and am kicking around the idea of swapping out the blue interior with a red M4 interior (muck like I did with the e92, though that's tan).

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2018 340i and owned it since 2020. The engine and transmission performance are the best in this category. This generation of BMW cars seem to be holding up pretty well in terms of reliability. I say go for it, the mppsk is a must for sure. After that if you still have cash to burn you have brake upgrade options as well as limited slip upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #3
B58-Hustler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i xDrive MPPSK

TLR version - I love my 2018 440i xDrive and recommend it highly. Thumbs up to MPPSK.

Long version - I've had my 2018 440i xDrive w/ M Sport Trim for about a year and 20k miles and I have nothing but good things to say. I did the MPPSK shortly after I bought it, having test driven another car that had it, I decided I also had to have it. Very happy with it - love the sound and the little bit of extra thrust without the hassle of having to mess around with other tuning packages. I know a lot of people will swear by BM3 and others and I have no issue with that opinion, it's just not something I was personally interested in. It's a pretty pricy upgrade but I have no regrets.

I did have one issue that was repaired under warranty - my rear differential was leaking. I was able to get it taken care of by BMW of Dayton without any hassle, though I did have an XC40 loaner for a day and it was pretty lame compared to the 440i

I would recommend running the VIN of the car through a VIN decoder to get a thorough list of features if the original paperwork isn't available. I would recommend checking for the M Sport Suspension as well - as you may or may not know, the term "M Sport" can be pretty damn vague. It's a trim package and is separate from the Adapative M Suspension and the M Sport Brakes. My car has the M Sports Package (Code P337A - M Sports package), and M Sport Suspension (code S2VFA - Adaptive M Suspension) but does not have the M Sport Brakes (Code S2NHA*) so just something to look for.

I personally would opt out of the red interior but that's highly a personal preference so if you like it, by all means go for it.

Since you're coming from an E92 you know enough about BMWs to know they're not always the most reliable and they're not cheap to fix, so I don't have any other input there.

Just one man's input, as always YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
h1pst3r88
Rep

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58-Hustler View Post
...the term "M Sport" can be pretty damn vague. It's a trim package and is separate from the Adapative M Suspension and the M Sport Brakes. My car has the M Sports Package (Code P337A - M Sports package), and M Sport Suspension (code S2VFA - Adaptive M Suspension) but does not have the M Sport Brakes (Code S2NHA*) so just something to look for.
I checked the VIN and while it has the "337 M-Sport Package" it lacks the adaptive suspension and M-sport brakes

Are those upgrades one can do after the fact?

Thanks so much for the feedback -- both of you who shared!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:55 PM   #5
B58-Hustler
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I checked the VIN and while it has the "337 M-Sport Package" it lacks the adaptive suspension and M-sport brakes

I would think both of those would be possible but it might be an expensive hassle so you'd want to weigh that in too. I think just about any good shop could do the brakes, which to be honest I think are likely not that important an upgrade if you don't plan to autocross or track your car. The suspension might require reprogramming though so I think you might need an authorized BMW service provider for that and I can't make a guess at the cost.

Bummer it doesn't have them "out of the box". Maybe it's a little negotiating leverage? Only you can decide if it would be worth passing on the car over it, potentially adding thousands more to the cost, or living without. I'd say budget a solid $3,500 for the MPPSK if you go that route, so add brakes and adaptive suspension to that and you might be in for a pretty tall bill on top of the buy price. I will say in my humble opinion MPPSK >>>>> brakes/suspension in terms of must haves

Keep us posted and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 03:35 PM   #6
h1pst3r88
Rep

Hmmm

I just got a chance to drive the 440i (I saw it yesterday but the dealership was closed). I was a little surprised that I wasn't blown away.

First, it's fast as all get out. Like much MUCH faster than my '11 e92 328iX.

However, I thought the interior felt a little plastic-y for a BMW (the sides of the center console and fascia on the radio and temp controls specifically). The seats I thought were fine but they were not in the league of the e92 M3 interior I have in the e92.

However, the biggest issue was the steering. It was so light -- it bore very little resemblance to the e92's firm and traditional BMW steering. I also found the hood to seem to be a little bulbous as I looked down. I am not short (6'1), so it seemed odd to see so much hood.

The digital dash was odd relative to traditional analog gauges...but I guess one gets used to that.

Finally, I thought the 440i was comfy, but almost too much so. It felt a little detached from the road with not a lot of feedback coming through the steering wheel.

I need to take a longer ride to see if these things are just a reflection of its newness to me or a things I can't get over. Has anyone else had any of these feelings? Oddly, it felt a little Lexus-y (we have a LX460 -- not that the cars are in anyway similar).

Thanks!!

Last edited by h1pst3r88; 06-27-2022 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #7
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

The MPPSK is great and highly recommended. Try and get the icon adaptive LED head lights they look more aggressive. The parking assistance provides the surround view cameras. The M Sport package is a must. Upgrading the door cards and seats to an M4 interior really improves the look.

Snapper rocks blue is a beautiful color. Enjoy if you get it!

I had a 430i for 2 years and had 0 problems but can't speak for long term ownership (now have had a 440i for 3 weeks). The B58 has proven to be very reliable based on other people's experiences, tuning or keeping it OEM.

Last edited by eff32fl; 06-27-2022 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:12 PM   #8
h1pst3r88
Rep

Thanks, eff32fl.

I think when I drove it, I didn't set it in the right mode or drive at a high enough speed to get the steering to tighten up. I am going to drive it again for a longer duration.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #9
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, eff32fl.

I think when I drove it, I didn't set it in the right mode or drive at a high enough speed to get the steering to tighten up. I am going to drive it again for a longer duration.

Thanks!
No prob post some pics if you get it! Put it in sports/sports+ mode to really get a feel for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #10
B58-Hustler
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, eff32fl.

Thanks!
Again one man's opinion but I would say one of the things I like most about my 440 is that it gives me the option of choosing "mindless cruise" mode versus "engaged driving" mode. I did the ~400 mile drive from my parents on Sunday and I honestly really appreciated the comfort steering and suspension setting.

On the other hand, when I am on a nice road or hitting an on or off ramp it's pretty easy to slip it into Sport or Sport+ and "give it the beans" as they say. It's even better with MPPSK.

A lot of my driving is done in Sport right until it's time to back into my garage and then it's Comfort time

I would definitely fiddle around with the different modes to see what difference they might make when you get another chance to drive it. It does seem like the steering is one thing people tend to critique on the F32 but I've found that it's much better in Sport from my perspective.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #11
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

I have an '18 440i GC M-Performance w/ MPPSK and it is by MILES the best car I've ever owned. And in a family with members who fancy themselves race car drivers, a cousin in the top 3 nationally in karting, and at least one Porsche in every garage - the consensus is my 440i is the highest performance car of the bunch..... these are Porsche people saying they prefer my bimmer over their 911's.

However if you're thinking about adding MPPSK aftermarket and completely redoing the interior... at that point just buy a new car. You'll be pouring like $6k into a car immediately after purchasing it and for resale purposes you MAYBE will add like $500 to your resale price for all that $$$.

BUT I can't imagine driving this car without the MPPSK. It is literally unbelievable to me that something that sounds THIS GOOD is a factory option. Whatever car you do settle on, MPPSK is... just wow. I'd rather drive my 440i with mppsk than my brother-in-laws '16 m4 or any of the new bimmers. The sound is just fucking phenomenal and you have more power than you'll realistically ever be able to really put to work.
      06-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #12
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

This video perfectly summarizes how I feel about this car every single time I drive it. It is almost uncanny how after a full year of ownership I still feel exactly like these two dudes on their test drive:

In particular comments they make that I can relate to:
1. you just always want it in sport mode because it sounds so good.
2. You're constantly smiling in this car.
3. You go out of your way to find an overpass or tunnel to RIP that MPPSK into just to hear the gunshots, and every single time you crack an absurd shit-eating grin like these dudes do.
4. You'll find yourself downshifting next to a cop and feeling like you just did something illegal
5. You'll be putting the windows down when its 30 degrees F outside just because you wanna hear it better
6. It feels just.. phenomenal to drive. In every way. Highway, ripping it through a corner, stuffing the dogs and the baby in it and driving to the beach... everything you do in this car is FUN.
eff32fl1051.50
      06-30-2022, 02:13 PM   #13
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:

You're better served just getting aftermarket suspension at that point because though the 2VF is decent, it could be more aggressively tuned still IMO.

Most of us jumping in on this thread are overall happy and thus biased to some degree (myself included). I have the M Sport Trim, 2VF suspension, and MPPSK. I don't have the track handling package which adds the slightly better brakes (base 440s already have front brembos, just not all pretty and painted) and additional intercooler.

The first time I drove a 440 was a 2017 pre-LCI non M-sport and man did I loathe that thing. It felt like a boat compared to my little GTI. My post-LCI with the revised damper rates feels planted but it honestly took me a while to get used to the bigger heavier car and the lighter steering. Putting it in Sport/Sport + will make the steering heavier, yes, but not necessarily more road feel. That is probably one of the bigger complaints across the board. The LCI models improved a bit on the steering from factory but it won't ever be E90 territory.

In the end, I see it more as a sum of all its parts and I have no regrets. It may not feel as nimble as my lighter GTI, but it will certainly hold its weight and not embarrass itself either and the B58 is a gem. There a few mods people have done to improve a bit of steering response and feel, namely upper & lower control arms replacements, and front strut bar as well. I've added a front strut bar and it could be placebo but I think it does improve it a bit. UACs are on my next to do.

MPPSK is a must.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #14
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

I have a 2019 440i xDrive. All factory. M-Sport with the adaptive suspension (no M-breaks though). No automatic cruise control or digital dash, though.

After 34 months on my lease but only 17K miles... here are my final thoughts (as I am considering buying out the lease since new lease rates are nuts)

Pros:
  • Love the power, really do not need more
  • Factory exhaust is fine for me, sounds aggressive as-is but could always be more
  • Handling is great for what it is
  • xDrive is nice because it puts all the power right to the wheels
  • Mechanically, no issues
  • Harman Kardon is amazing for this car in my opinion (without buying some crazy after market sound system)
  • I love the drive select modes. I put it in Eco when driving over the brick roads downtown and it's incredibly smooth (for brick). I leave it in Comfort usually because it's the right amount of power and I think the ride is great without being overly aggressive. Only time I put it in Sport is when I want to have some fun with it!

Cons:
  • xDrive increases the ride height. If I buy it I will lower it a bit
  • Some interior items feel a little cheap, but I'm stretching here...

Issues:
  • Aluminum dash trim (3 pieces so far) has delaminated (probably due to FL heat but I keep her in the garage, so no excuses for this to happen) Dealership replaced without any hassle
  • Driver's side seatbelt extender arm was operating rough. Dealer replaced with no hassle
  • Front-Passenger side fender liner somehow deformed and started rubbing on the tire when I turned right. Dealer surprised by it but replaced it without any hassle.
  • Locking fuel door stopped working. Dealer replaced.
  • Currently, a rattle in the rear deck. Will have them fix if I keep it.

But these are just small things that can happen. Zero mechanical issues whatsoever.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2022, 09:55 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
No prob post some pics if you get it! Put it in sports/sports+ mode to really get a feel for it.
Yes, Sport mode is a must. You’ll notice the change in the steering immediately. It still won’t be the hydraulic steering from your E92, but MUCH better than Comfort mode. In iDrive you can choose to just have the steering response if you want, without the transmission going into Sport mode. That’s what I’ve done. The transmission in Sport mode was a little too aggressive for me in daily driving.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

07-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #16
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

the 440i is a mixed bag. I love mine to bits, had it over 4 years and 30k miles, and will keep it till it dies. Mine has MPPSK and Msport brakes/suspension. EDIT: caveat, its a 2016 Pre-LCi.

Looks - well just look at it. Its beautiful. BMW called me last year asking if i was interested in upgrading at all, (just some BS customer courtesy call thing, i don't have a "relationship" with the dealer). I politely declined, thinking, why the hell would i swap for an Ugly as F G22.
I think rear 3/4 does it for me, the proportions are ...Perfect.

interior - if you think the interior isn't up to scratch, go sit in a G series. The fake chrome plastics, and the flat buttons across the centre console and steering wheel are horrid.....awful to use, not profiled like they are in the F.
i don't like the digital dash either in the G series, it's not sharp, not high contrast, it's like a crap phone screen. Don't know what it's like in the F series though i expect it's probably not much better!

handling - its awful. Yes your feelings about it are correct. I'd never driven a bmw prior to getting mine, but i came from a 2016 type R - the bmw is like a boat in comparison. I'm sure getting an anti roll bar kit (Eibach) and some kind of suspension upgrade would fix it though.
I upgraded to a Bilstein B14 kit which is far too stiff, it reduced the understeer and body roll, but i have jarring low speed ride as a result.
As others have said, i'm sure with an appropriate damper/spring combo this can be easily fixed, but i also don't think it would be enough, because....

I had a G20 M340i xdrive courtesy car for a week recently, and did 500+ miles in it - the handling was sublime, really sharp, virtually no role, lift off oversteer on-tap, zero understeer. It's how i would have expected a bmw to be, it felt like a real drivers car. I threw it into a large roundabout at 70mph+ and it loved it.

Soyeh as you've found it - it's not a drivers car by any means, it's a comfy cruiser at best. I think you would need to throw £2k+ of suspension mods to get it to handle anything like the equivalent G series.

steering feel - there is none, so forget about it! sport mode just makes it artificially heavier...its pointless. Although apparently going to a monoball lower control arm yields a dramatic change in feel, and it's quite cheap to do.

MPPSK - 100% needed. There's no downside, and livens the car up and makes it more interesting if you want to be a bit naughty.

reliability - its been bulletproof. The only issue i've had is the 'supercharger whine' issue. BMW even replaced the turbo under warranty, after the car had been run through diagnostics and remotely connected to some team in germany.... well it didn't fix it. I still get the whine after a few hard pulls. It doesn't seem to affect performance so i've decided to stop caring about it.
Maybe worth listening out for it on a test drive - i'll continue extending the warranty on mine as it's only £400/year.
Build quality is excellent, the interior has been rock solid, despite me fiddling with it, removing the fascia to fit MMI box, etc.

I also think its a perfect compromise between an M4 and say a 430i, sounds like an obvious thing to say but, there's enough power to have some fun with and give you that surge; whilst not being expensive to run, and anymore power would be totally unusuable on public roads anyway.
and you can fit a towbar to it!

In terms of value, or £/performance, there's surely nothing better on the market for the price?
440i...its the best

Last edited by gippy; 07-01-2022 at 05:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
eff32fl1051.50
      07-01-2022, 08:57 AM   #17
jnj2455
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i 6MT/RWD/MPPSK/2VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yes, Sport mode is a must. You’ll notice the change in the steering immediately. It still won’t be the hydraulic steering from your E92, but MUCH better than Comfort mode. In iDrive you can choose to just have the steering response if you want, without the transmission going into Sport mode. That’s what I’ve done. The transmission in Sport mode was a little too aggressive for me in daily driving.
Maybe I'm misinterpreting you but its not like the level of M3/M4 where you can tune it individually. I think I've seen that menu where if you select a mode, you can tune how that mode itself responds (steering, powertrain (throttle)). But you'd still have to put it into sport mode first.

I.e. I can't be in comfort mode yet still have sport mode steering.

I agree though. I think I'm just getting old but there are times where I just want to move about without the pomp and circumstance of sport mode exhaust but wouldn't mind the sport steering.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #18
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
The MPPSK is great and highly recommended. Try and get the icon adaptive LED head lights they look more aggressive. The parking assistance provides the surround view cameras. The M Sport package is a must. Upgrading the door cards and seats to an M4 interior really improves the look.

Snapper rocks blue is a beautiful color. Enjoy if you get it!

I had a 430i for 2 years and had 0 problems but can't speak for long term ownership (now have had a 440i for 3 weeks). The B58 has proven to be very reliable based on other people's experiences, tuning or keeping it OEM.

Disagree, MPPSK is very pricey for what it is (axleback+weak tune). Save your money with a good aftermarket exhaust and MHD/BM3.

As far as handling i have kw v1's on my car and it handles just as good as my E82 did- just never going to get that heavy steering back though lol,

Last edited by smrtypants44; 07-01-2022 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:48 AM   #19
nosam1g
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i

buy the mppsk yourself and install it then flash mhd or bootmod3 .. save 1.5k unless u want dealer to install it and keep warranty. mppsk is amazing , and im installing my downpipe to open it up even more ^^
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:13 AM   #20
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Disagree, MPPSK is very pricey for what it is (axleback+weak tune). Save your money with a good aftermarket exhaust and MHD/BM3.

As far as handling i have kw v1's on my car and it handles just as good as my E82 did- just never going to get that heavy steering back though lol,
MPPSK is cat back and basically open piped with the valves open. It's a great option for someone wanting just some extra power and isn't trying to push their engine and/or warranty is a factor. No its not cheap but it sounds better than aftermarket tunes imo as the rumble it provides isn't overdone.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 07:59 AM   #21
cooombs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive

Quote:
Hello good folks!

Thanks in advance!
Do it! I just picked up a 2018 a couple weeks ago and the car is great! Watch the straight pipes video that was posted if you need extra convincing. I was debating between a new golf R or one of these and that video convinced me to stop waiting on the new R. Mine came pretty loaded with the MSSPK, adaptive suspension and m perf brakes so that has helped tighten it up and the exhaust sound is just amazing. Makes me smile all the time. Steering is for sure still not perfect. I keep it in sport mode all the time as I hate the steering feel in eco/comfort. So overall the car is not perfect, but for someone like my self who could have used a little more rear passenger room then the golf provided but still wanted something pretty sporty, this has checked everything so far. Oh and the looks, I’ve never gotten so many complements from friends and family on how good looking it is. And I still want to clean up a few light scratches and dinged up wheels from the previous owner!!

For reference I came from a B7 Audi 3.2 wagon so I won’t even get into the amazing power as the comparison between the two for me has been night and day

Edit: realized you came from a 328, the power jump should be just as impressive for you!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #22
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hello good folks!

Thanks in advance!
Did you ever buy the 440i?
Appreciate 0