F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Video and Music in the F30 not ipod
GetBMWParts

01-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #23
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

I presume the USB port in the F30 is only USB 2.0? In which case, this has to be worth a punt....
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #24
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
I presume the USB port in the F30 is only USB 2.0? In which case, this has to be worth a punt....
Sky Blue? I don't think so

Call me when you've found a Coral Red leather version...

01-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I think it was always an option on business nav, and it added the combox in the boot, which the prof nav had whether or not EBT was specced.

But i gather the NBT prof nav does't have a combox anymore as it's all built into the HU, so hopefully the business nav does as well!

I didn't want the EBT enough to pay £450 for it, but it would be a nice bonus to get it for free.
Well i've now worked out that the prof and bus hu's are different, bus is CHAMP2 not NBT.

Also what makes me think you can't code EBT to bus media is that i think bus still has a combox if it has EBT from factory, which is backed up by the fact that on the BMW configurator the EBT costs £80 more for bus than prof which is probably the cost of the combox.

I hope this is wrong, but it doesn't look promising!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #26
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the Pro Nav display folder.jpg when a song is selected, or does it rely on each mp3 file having artwork embedded? I'm desperately trying to organize my music library in preparation for my car arriving...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordberg View Post
Does the Pro Nav display folder.jpg when a song is selected, or does it rely on each mp3 file having artwork embedded? I'm desperately trying to organize my music library in preparation for my car arriving...
Sorry i only just saw your question! Yea embedded in each track, i think 500x500 pixels max, use mp3tag free software.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:26 PM   #28
1337PirateNinja
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 320i

I found the best option is to get an SD card + a reader with usb hub combo. So my set up is a 128gb sd card .. you can get a 256 one too (ex: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820178478)

loaded it up with movies (that i already seen that way i don't get too distracted ). Even 700mb files look good on that screen, so they are usually between 700-1.4gb per file. Like someone said you can throw anything at it including 10gb mkv 1080p files it will play anything. It even pauses and resumes right where you left off. To pause it you have to press the radio power button, i havent figured out a way to zoom the picture yet (if anyone knows let me know) but it's pretty goot at zooming it as best as it can.

Then i got a usb hub here:
http://www.officemax.com/technology/...ct-prod4250516

that one works great and has small footprint, because it also adds 2 usb slots. Whatever device is plugged in first gets priority otherwise it will just charge. You can charge up to 2 devices at the same time and use the SD card. If i want to switch to phone i just pull out the card.

(other cheap adapter on ebay would stop working or constantly switch me between devices)
The first time you plug it in, it will take a minute or so for it to index all the data until it shows up. Then it remmebers it and it's instant.
Surprising it's really not that distracting to drive with a movie on as long as you seen them before you don't have to be engaged all the time, and it makes time pass a lot faster. Of course you can load it with lots of music as well

Last edited by 1337PirateNinja; 02-04-2014 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #29
nordberg
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've got a 500Gb USB HDD in my armrest working OK.

A couple of questions:

Is there a way to see the album art when in folder view ala iTunes? At the moment, I'm getting the artwork once I've selected the tracks...

Secondly, I find it annoying that when I'm listening to a track and I select Search, the display goes right back to the media menu and I have to select USB/Music etc etc... Is there anyway around this?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #30
///MSport420
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 420D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ll71 View Post
I've been trying to get my Ipod touch to play videos through the iDrive for a while now, coded the extra codecs etc required, but still no luck, just audio, no video. Music worked fine. As I have a huge music collection, I was maxing out the 64 gig ipod anyway. So I thought not much to lose by trying a portable USB hard drive as recommended by one of the members on here.

£59 squid later at PC World buys you a 1TB (!) Seagate USB2/3 hard drive (NTFS). By the way, it fits perfectly in the tray to the left of the USB port, almost like it was made for it?!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/data-s...12046-pdt.html

Created a Videos folder and a Music folder, just copied straight from itunes (I store my music as mp3), and copied across various personal videos and a couple of DVD rips (single file mp4 more on that later).

Didn't expect it to work well, but the USB drive popped straight up and isntantly recognised the folders exactly the same as the ipod with coverart etc. Perfect! No folder browsing! Then went into the Video option (added via coding) and hey presto all of my movies (except those downloaded by Apple, so I suspect copy protection is an issue here).

Now some codecs seem to drop the odd frame on my personal vids taken from a video camera/camera phones/digital cameras, but the mp4 of one of my movies played perfectly including surround sound, wide screen etc. I will work out which codecs are best/worst and post here later.

So, if you're thinking of a solution for the car, I wouldn't bother with a stick or an ipod if all it's going to do is sit in the car all day.

I've gone this route as a) couldn't get the ipod to do video, b) my Sony Xperia phone doesn't work like an ipod when connected unless you connect via apps (otherwise folder browsing) and if it is connected via apps, Email seems to stop working.

It seems by far the cheapest way to get access to a huge amount of data for very little money. Very impressed with what the HU_NBT pro nav can do, it's a perfect in car solution.
Thanks for sharing...will ssd hard drive work as i saw some cheap ones ??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #31
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MSport420 View Post
Thanks for sharing...will ssd hard drive work as i saw some cheap ones ??
Yep SSD will work just the same as a traditional HDD!
Appreciate 0