F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone on winter tyres tempted to change back to the summers already?
proTUNING Freaks

02-04-2014, 04:39 PM   #1
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Anyone on winter tyres tempted to change back to the summers already?

Given it looks like the winter is going to remain mild and wet, I was considering swapping back on to summer tyres, just wondering if anyone on winters was considering it?

My thinking is this:

1) It might be tempting fate, and we will see snow once I've done. I like snow, so this is good.

2) Or else it will stay mild in which case I will preserve my winter tyres for future years (would like to get at least 3, if not more, full winters use out of the set)

3) i want to see the 335d on the MSport 19's, as I've had the winters (18s) on from new.

4) I want to do a track day in the Z4, so the Pilot Super sports may be a bit more appropriate!

I might do the Z4 and leave the 3 series till after I've been up to Scotland in a few weeks time. I'm guessing those up North won't be considering it!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

I'm giving it until the end of Feb and will take a view. My winters have settled down nicely of late but, since most of my driving is early morning/evening, the ambient temp has generally been low enough. Agree though, it's borderline.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Yes it's tempting. Early mornings have been below 7 but not much. I'll give it a couple of weeks.
      02-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Not up here... no way. Plenty of time for snow and ice. Still keeps dropping near to freezing, snow on my car (at 100 metres above sea level) on Saturday.

One of my close friends lost his car driving out of the Highlands on Saturday. Had to drive out over one of the higher levels (no winter tyres) and got into snow, ended up down over a bank, car possibly written off.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Defo keeping mine on
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not up here... no way. Plenty of time for snow and ice. Still keeps dropping near to freezing, snow on my car (at 100 metres above sea level) on Saturday.

One of my close friends lost his car driving out of the Highlands on Saturday. Had to drive out over one of the higher levels (no winter tyres) and got into snow, ended up down over a bank, car possibly written off.

HighlandPete
I'm due a visit to see the old man so will wait till after that- might need to go looking for some snow too... Will be interesting too see hot it feels compared to winters on the e90.

No ski trip this year either!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:04 AM   #7
Boosted321
Private
Rep
Drives: Xdrive 318d ish :o)

I love my 18" square winters, the ride is SO much better (they are non runflat) and surprisingly, to me anyway, they provide considerably better chassis feel than the summer 19". Turn in doesn't seem to have suffered either somehow.

I don't want to take them off till I must.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

I actually never put mine on this time round. Car was in the garage for a few months and just got it back before Christmas.

Been so mild here, just figured I'd leave it this year. Just never got cold in manchester. And it's only going to get warmer from here.

Saying that it did snow last easter.
      02-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

As above really, never got as far as putting them on. Sat there in the garage all nice and clean and ready. £1,450 well spent? OF COURSE - there's next year and the year after and the year after that.

People ask me why I spent all that and I have to explain:
1) Tyres: Cost £800, and all the time they're on I'm not wearing down the summers so no net cost there.
2) Wheels: Cost £650, The trade in value will be say £300.

O/A net cost £350 = reasonable for 3 or 4 years' safety & confidence in wintertime (just £100/year)*.

*A soupcon of man-maths at work here
      02-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT
As above really, never got as far as putting them on. Sat there in the garage all nice and clean and ready. 1,450 well spent? OF COURSE - there's next year and the year after and the year after that.

1) Tyres: Cost 800, and all the time they're on I'm not wearing down the summers so no net cost there.
2) Wheels: Cost 650, The trade in value will be say 300.

O/A net cost 350 = reasonable for 3 or 4 years' safety & confidence in wintertime (just 100/year)*.

Couldn't agree more! Marginal cost is much less than the outlay implies.

Doubt this will be the last word on the matter though...

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
As above really, never got as far as putting them on. Sat there in the garage all nice and clean and ready. £1,450 well spent? OF COURSE - there's next year and the year after and the year after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBarin View Post
Doubt this will be the last word on the matter though...

Here we go.....it all depends what else you would do with the £1450. Lads weekend to Vegas? Buy a cheap track car? Or invest it and turn it into £3,000?

Not saying any of them are right or wrong - its whatever your personal priority is.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

1) Tyres: Cost £800, and all the time they're on I'm not wearing down the summers so no net cost there.

O/A net cost £350 = reasonable for 3 or 4 years' safety & confidence in wintertime (just £100/year)*.

Good use of the word soupcon!

I agree wholeheartedly, and with us planning to have the car for many years I know the cost over that period is fairly negligible for me.

I think if I take the Z4 ones off now though, they will last the whole of next winter, even if it snows from November to March. For some reason I'm more bothered about preserving the life of my winter tyres, but not so fussed about the summers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #13
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Here we go.....it all depends what else you would do with the £1450. Lads weekend to Vegas? Buy a cheap track car? Or invest it and turn it into £3,000?

Not saying any of them are right or wrong - its whatever your personal priority is.
Yes of course you are right. Lads weekend to Vegas... I'm a 50yr old granddad ffs! Mind you I would dearly love to!

Track cars / days never appealed to me.

But yes, buy any Housebuilder shares - Barratt, Taylor Wimps, Redrow, Persimmon, even Berkeley Homes (my old employer). In 3 years you will indeed double your money*

*no health warning, you will!
      02-05-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
JohnM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport PPK

If you live in Sunny Bournemouth you don't need winter tyres
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #15
Steve C
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330dx

Quote:
Yes of course you are right. Lads weekend to Vegas... I'm a 50yr old granddad ffs! Mind you I would dearly love to!
We're going there this year for my mate's 50th!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #16
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
We're going there this year for my mate's 50th!
Good for you & him - that's class!. Mine was last summer. Had a bbq in the garden. Enuf said.
      02-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
DrSteve
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d xdrive msport+

Quote:

Top class man maths there. Despite not even owning the car yet I find myself compelled to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres. With a net cost of only £100 per year it would be madness not to.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:

Oh I love man maths! It's because of some very strong man maths that I am getting an F30!!

Also man maths on my E90 winter wheels & tyres should work out well, they cost me in total £420 & I've had a winters use out of them and reckon I can get at least £400 for them next Autumn! So free use of them all winter & no wear been put on my summer's!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve View Post
Top class man maths there. Despite not even owning the car yet I find myself compelled to buy a set of winter wheels and tyres. With a net cost of only £100 per year it would be madness not to.
I did similar man maths... A massively over the top spreadsheet that could easily become Skynet... Cue the sinister drums...

Either way, it was the best and most economical winter mobility plan for me. Especially based on 17" winters.

Then decided I had too much left in the present car in terms service rubber etc for a September 320d... So a March 330d instead. So, another E90 winter on summer tyres... So far, a good gamble... Only a few surprises so far.

Later I added in M a Sport Plus, so 18" winters and a recalculate...

Now, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to wrangle a fantastic deal on some winters for my March pickup... The dealer has a full range of wheels and tyres on display... Big selling item this winter I'm sure...

I'm sure I can make some space in my garage.

On a side note, what's the best way to store wheels yourself? Wheel bags or vertically on a trolley/rack? Spinal style through the centre and separating the wheels.
      02-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
On a side note, what's the best way to store wheels yourself? Wheel bags or vertically on a trolley/rack? Spinal style through the centre and separating the wheels.
Best not to store vertically as you could flat spot there. I leave mine stacked one on top of the other, with bottom one sat on a foam mat. Nothing in between them. Has worked fine for me over the years.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #21
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Best not to store vertically as you could flat spot there. I leave mine stacked one on top of the other, with bottom one sat on a foam mat. Nothing in between them. Has worked fine for me over the years.
Thanks, that's what I thought. I misscomunicated my intentions. I meant a vertical stack.

I've seen a decent looking stacking rack on Amazon, weight supported at the wheel centre. Spindle through centre badge hole. Though, tyre to tyre would save removing this.

Cheers
      02-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #22
sweels
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Leaving mine on for a while yet. Here in the Midlands, 90% of my commuting (at 'normal' commuting times) is at <7c which they claim is the cutoff, and whilst the merits of winter, summer, all weather, run flat, non run flats (and who knows, someone has probably argued the merits of cross-plys vs radials!) have all been discussed at length, I think (not backed up by anything too scientific) that the drop off of winters as the temp gets above 7 is less abrupt than that of summers as the temp gets lower.

Besides, anyone on an M Sport with 19s will not want to drive them on any salted roads in case they start to dissolve! And remember last winter it snowed at the end of March.
Appreciate 0