F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > ☛ MHD Flasher F Series (F2x F3x) discussion ☚
GetBMWParts

12-04-2019, 03:04 AM   #3565
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86

Question What does BMW know that the tuners does not?

Hi

Car: F20, N55, PWG, Pure Stage2

So...after 30 revisions from both a custom tune and the BETA-OTS I still dont have a car that is running right with the Pure Stage2 hvis is frustrating me quite a lot to be honest

So, I was very surprised when I logged Stage0 and saw how well it controls the turbo. How the $#%@ is that possible? What secret sauce does BMW have in their tune that all the brightest MHD tuners has not discovered yet? I am sure the tuners are trying hard, but 30 revisions...

I have asked this question many times before and will try again: Has anyone had a big turbo PWG tuned sucesfully? If so please shoot me a PM, thanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by harkes; 12-04-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #3566
Floriduh235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arck001 View Post
Yeah I've checked all connections, replaced tmap sensor, replaced boost solenoid, replaced maf sensor. I still need to do a proper leak test.
Strange.... maybe the diverter valve diaphragm is completely shot (if stock)?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #3567
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Hi

So...after 30 revisions from both a custom tune and the BETA-OTS I still dont have a car that is running right with the Pure Stage2 hvis is frustrating me quite a lot to be honest

So, I was very surprised when I logged Stage0 and saw how well it controls the turbo. How the $#%@ is that possible? What secret sauce does BMW have in their tune that all the brightest MHD tuners has not discovered yet? I am sure the tuners are trying hard, but 30 revisions...

I have asked this question many times before and will try again: Has anyone had a big turbo PWG tuned sucesfully? If so please shoot me a PM, thanks.
that's your WGDC right? I'm not sure if this would be related or the cause.. but was your wastegate set or checked when you did your PS2 install?

12-04-2019, 06:20 PM   #3568
harkes
Lieutenant Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerJoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Hi

that's your WGDC right? I'm not sure if this would be related or the cause.. but was your wastegate set or checked when you did your PS2 install?

It has been adjusted to be fully closed at 7inHG
      12-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #3569
arck001
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Yeah, boost leak test would be the next check. I described how to do it in the boost leak thread.

Also, might be worth trying to reset all adaptations if you haven't already.

I suppose an issue with the WG could also be causing it - in other words the WG issue is the cause of the boost oscillations and not the other way around. I don't think i have seen that reported by anyone else but throwing ideas out there since the fluctuations in WG duty cycle are pretty large and abrupt.
That makes sense, WG should be the problem then.
Car hasn't thrown an codes either.
Could the diverter valve cause this as mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #3570
thejeremyman9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arck001 View Post
That makes sense, WG should be the problem then.
Car hasn't thrown an codes either.
Could the diverter valve cause this as mentioned?
I wouldnt say WG "should" be, more like "could" be.

Yes, DV is another good guess. I can see how a bad DV could potentially cause those issues, but i would think that if the diaphram was totally shot it would be a constant leak... Not sure if a boost leak test will test the DV or not.

Overall i'm not really sure how to easily test the WG or the DV with them still on the car... perhaps others have some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #3571
AmuroRay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine_F30 View Post
While I agree it's always a good idea to get a custom tune if you're looking to maximize power based on region, available gas, etc that 350-360 figure just isn't true unless you're talking PWG.
The only 2+ MHD ewg dyno I've seen was 375WHP/~400tq, and that was 93 pump gas in dead of summer heat. E30 2+ map in winter/fall should get close to 390-400.

In regards to BM3, it does seem their Stg 1 is a bit more aggressive than MHD, but BM3 Stg2 and MHD Stg 2+ seem VERY comparable.

You seem to be over generalizing a bit, it's awesome you're happy with your custom tune, but most people just want to quickly add some extra power and wouldn't even notice much if any difference between ots and custom. If you're looking to squeeze every oz of power out though for sure custom is the only way to go.
Flat out false. MHD off the shelf tune is NOT hitting 370whp on pump, and the E20 tune isnít even remotely near 400whp.

These cars consistently put down 360whp at most. Please donít make me pull the graphs.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:49 AM   #3572
AmuroRay
Private First Class
Rep

MHD PWG with e20
370whp (wheel hp)

MHD EWG Stage 2+

410hp at the ENGINE

440hp at the engine
365whp (at the wheels - blue line)

You want people to believe they can make 400whp with MHD on an off the shelf tune? Come on.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #3573
AmuroRay
Private First Class
Rep

375whp(well, 370ish - itís PS and not HP)
Appreciate 1
harkes707.00

Yesterday, 09:06 AM   #3574
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
MHD PWG with e20
370whp (wheel hp)

MHD EWG Stage 2+

410hp at the ENGINE

440hp at the engine
365whp (at the wheels - blue line)

You want people to believe they can make 400whp with MHD on an off the shelf tune? Come on.
time to bring out the hub dynos
      Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #3575
AmuroRay
Private First Class
Rep

Most of those dynos would read 355-365whp on US dynjets on 93oct. No way youíre making 400whp with those off the shelf tunes.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #3576
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Most of those dynos would read 355-365whp on US dynjets on 93oct. No way you’re making 400whp with those off the shelf tunes.
hub dyno's tend to read a lot higher because their is less load.. they jack up your car, remove your wheels and attach straght to your lugs. not a traditional dyno on rollers.
      Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #3577
chaungo
=D
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' 335ix

Garage List
Quote:
hub dyno's tend to read a lot higher because their is less load.. they jack up your car, remove your wheels and attach straght to your lugs. not a traditional dyno on rollers.
Yup, never do hub dynos as it's very inaccurate, the power you make on it will never be what you're actually putting down as you just removed about 160lbs worth of wheels.

MHD has a very conservative OTS tune for N55.

B58 on the other hand is the opposite as their OTS tunes are pretty aggressive.
      Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #3578
AmuroRay
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know. Church automotive in Cali has one, all the import guys used to post their numbers. I actually prefer those dynos because they donít factor rotational issue with wheels, and give you a more realistic number (plus they can add load) Iím under the impression they are the best dynos for tuning.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #3579
Zara
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Any update on the MHD Wireless OBD-II adaptor?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #3580
thejeremyman9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara View Post
The WiFi adapter was released a while ago... just check a few pages back in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:20 PM   #3581
DreamerJoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara View Post
I have it, works great.. only 20 seconds to map write, super quick.
Phyrexia456.50

Yesterday, 09:44 PM   #3582
Zara
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
The WiFi adapter was released a while ago... just check a few pages back in this thread.
Oooh perfect, thank you!

Glad to hear it works great
Appreciate 0