F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Issues with Zero gear sensor on manual trans
Extreme Powerhouse

05-19-2024, 04:13 PM   #1
Sheizz
Registered
Rep
Drives: F32 435xi Manual, E53 4.8is

Angry Issues with Zero gear sensor on manual trans

Good evening everybody, after searching for an answer everywhere and having no luck, this is my last cry for help.

I drive a manual f32 435Xi, car had a bad trans when i bought it, ( 2nd gear grind) due to the unrebuildable nature of these gearboxes i simply swapped it for a gearbox from later model e92 335xi, the names are slightly different for the boxes, F32 trans being called GS6X45BZ - THZ8, and E92 trans being GS6X45DZ - THD9.

I could not find any used F32 manual trans for sale anywhere in my country, thats why i went with the one from e92.
the trans swap went, smoothly, only difference i noticed was the small sensor sitting on top of the F32 trans, which e92 trans did not have, but it did have the place to bolt it, just like the f32 trans. i installed my zero gear sensor on the "new" trans, and it bolted up just fine.

Car drives with no issues and no faults, apart from the dreaded start/stop system malfunction warning on the idrive, caused by zero gear sensor, which for the love of god i can not calibrate with ista.

its not an easy job to change it myself, i have to take my car to the shop and supply the part, now the question is, do i take the sensor from an e92, or just buy another one for the f32?
below is the error message that keeps popping on ista.
hill start assist is not working as well.

would love if someone chimed in with little experience about this topic.
*Mileage is in kilometers lol*
Attached Images

Appreciate 0