F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Aftermarket Headlight Upgrade
Studio RSR

07-13-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
nWinter
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

F30 Aftermarket Headlight Upgrade

Hey ppl, I recently bought a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan and, like many others before me, want to upgrade the stock halogen headlights. After painstakingly reading numerous threads and scouring the internet, these are what I plan on ordering:

https://www.umnitza.com/browse-by-ca...ngel-eyes.html

$1700 + shipping is a little pricey, but other owners seem pretty satisfied after install. I was hoping to get some feedback from those who have already done the upgrade with these headlights. If you could share your experience and give some tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if anyone happens to have a coupon code for Umnitza or would consider a group order, please lmk.
Appreciate 1
sisu14.50
      07-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I hated the halogens too, but no way do I pay $1700 to get LEDs. I did the highs, lows and fogs for less than $200.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I hated the halogens too, but no way do I pay $1700 to get LEDs. I did the highs, lows and fogs for less than $200.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
You're right, the price is substantial. Those lamps are a good find and pretty economical, however I really want to avoid coding at (almost) any cost. I know I could code if determined but do not want to mess with car's computer from a warranty stand point. Plus, the aftermarket headlight aesthetics look incredible.

I'm also planning on changing the fog lights out with these:

http://www.mteclightingusa.com/MTEC_...s_p/mt-471.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Coding doesn't affect the warranty, and it's much easier than it looks to be at first glance. How tough can it be when you can see the entire procedure on a 12 minute video?

BTW, any and all LEDs require coding out the warm and cold checks, no matter what you read in advertising.
As for the blue bulbs, they're less bright than stock, because of the blue tint.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
vgore
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I am in the same boat. I should be receiving those lights next week. They claim to be plug n play. I am also going to change the fogs with PIAA iron yellow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Coding doesn't affect the warranty, and it's much easier than it looks to be at first glance. How tough can it be when you can see the entire procedure on a 12 minute video?

BTW, any and all LEDs require coding out the warm and cold checks, no matter what you read in advertising.
As for the blue bulbs, they're less bright than stock, because of the blue tint.
It might if something gets screwed up. Not that I couldn't figure it out, but rather avoid it. Just being cautious, thanks for the insight. I wanted to be in the 5K range and probably won't use the fog as much but if its only $40 to swap and the bumper is already off, why not. Coding very well may be necessary in all cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgore View Post
I am in the same boat. I should be receiving those lights next week. They claim to be plug n play. I am also going to change the fogs with PIAA iron yellow. I'll let you know how it goes.
Def lmk how it turns out and post pics. Do you have a thread? If not, go ahead and post here.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nWinter View Post
Coding very well may be necessary in all cases.
It is, due to the difference in how halogen and LED work. Halogens have to heat up to light up. The warm and cold checks, which test if the bulb works, send out power pulses that are too short to heat the bulb filaments enough to light up. LEDs respond instantly, so they do light up. Without coding out the checks they'll blink every four minutes or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #8
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
It is, due to the difference in how halogen and LED work. Halogens have to heat up to light up. The warm and cold checks, which test if the bulb works, send out power pulses that are too short to heat the bulb filaments enough to light up. LEDs respond instantly, so they do light up. Without coding out the checks they'll blink every four minutes or so.
Yes, that's the nature of the lighting tech and it has been around and developed for some time. Manufacturers would have to make their LEDs less efficient to 'trick' the car in thinking the correct rated halogen fixture is installed, i.e. adding resistance to the LED board. Then they can claim true plugnplay if the car cannot tell the difference and all operating temps are within tolerance.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's a different issue. Most LEDs use driver ballasts that prevent warnings and also smooth the pulse modulated voltage so they don't flicker. Mine didn't throw warnings or flicker. They did blink at start up and every four minutes after that from the warm/cold checks, the reason why I explained in my last post.
The problem isn't in the lighting technology. If it was you couldn't go out today and buy LED bulbs that work in your home with zero issues. The problem is that BMW (and others) have gotten a bit carried away with tech. When they realized that they could use tech to monitor the status of the lights they did, but when they did it had to be optimized to work with incandescent, and only incandescent, bulbs. You don't run into these problems putting LEDs into a '55 Chevy, or a riding lawnmower, or boat, nor any use that doesn't involve a computer. I suppose there are some advantages to the car telling you on the dashboard that you have a blown bulb, but I managed for almost 50 years with the old fashioned method.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #10
Bruceking07
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix

I would advise you to not get these headlights. There has been several people reporting that their umnitza headlights stop working completely including myself. I purchased my set and after two months the passage side broke. Another guy message me and said after installation the headlights didnt turn on at all. I never got a warranty replacement or anything after emailing them for months about my issue. I would not recommend this headlight!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
That's a different issue.
Thank you for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceking07 View Post
I would advise you to not get these headlights. There has been several people reporting that their umnitza headlights stop working completely including myself. I purchased my set and after two months the passage side broke. Another guy message me and said after installation the headlights didnt turn on at all. I never got a warranty replacement or anything after emailing them for months about my issue. I would not recommend this headlight!
Tyvm, that is definitely a game changer. If they weren't so expensive, I'd install them and hope for the best. But after hearing that, it's just not worth the risk. However, I have considered other manufacturers, see below:

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/produ...oduct=FLXF3031

http://www.hlautomotive.com/bmw-onde...7-bmw-f30-f31/
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 09:21 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Those are halogen.

Those are LED on the angel eyes only, with the high (grootlicht) and low (dimlicht) beams halogen. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #13
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Quote:
Those are halogen.

Those are LED on the angel eyes only, with the high (grootlicht) and low (dimlicht) beams halogen. Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
The Schmiedmann are NOT halogen, they're Projector headlights. I'd go with those. They should be the same as these.
      07-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #14
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Those are halogen.

The Schmiedmann are NOT halogen, they're Projector headlights. I'd go with those. They should be the same as these.
Attached Images

07-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_m View Post
The Schmiedmann are NOT halogen, they're Projector headlights.
Projector refers to the lens, halogen (H7) to the bulb. The ad says H7 lampen fitting voor dimlicht en grootlicht
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 10:29 AM   #16
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The Schmiedmann are NOT halogen, they're Projector headlights.
Projector refers to the lens, halogen (H7) to the bulb. The ad says H7 lampen fitting voor dimlicht en grootlicht
That's fine, but the OP is clearly not looking to just upgrade the bulbs, but the entire housing. So these are what I'm recommending.
If you contact Schmeidmann, make sure to get the right part first. Also look out for a hefty shipping fee.
      07-16-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Sprechen Sie Deutsch?
Nein

Quote:
That's fine, but the OP is clearly not looking to just upgrade the bulbs, but the entire housing. So these are what I'm recommending.
If you contact Schmeidmann, make sure to get the right part first. Also look out for a hefty shipping fee.
What about 'inclusive motor', I'm assuming that's related to adaptive (auto adjusting) lighting...a feature the halogen base does not include and would need coding out? Figured as much on shipping since from Europe. Right part? I do not see any other options and seems like everything is included.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 09:48 PM   #18
phongt12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

I also would advise against the Umnitza headlights too. I've been lurking here for awhile but will soon post a long term review of those headlights. The quality is not bad but think twice about dealing with that company. I couldn't post any pics with Yelp since I don't review enough places but I'll try to get something on here to save people from wasting their money on these headlights.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/umnitza-con...tm_medium=flsr
Appreciate 1
thezarb14.00
      07-17-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phongt12 View Post
I also would advise against the Umnitza headlights too. I've been lurking here for awhile but will soon post a long term review of those headlights. The quality is not bad but think twice about dealing with that company. I couldn't post any pics with Yelp since I don't review enough places but I'll try to get something on here to save people from wasting their money on these headlights.
Appreciate the diligence.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 12:53 AM   #20
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

I did see brand new LCI LED headlights on eBay going for around $2K (no tax most likely for your state). That's not much more than the $1700 you would spend with Umnitza. It's also OEM, so you know the quality is there. There's a long thread here, but with the correct harness it's as plug-and-play as you can get with already having halogens. I got in on the USR Depo offering, but if I didn't I would go that route. I'm still debating going that route, hearing the issues with the Depo ones, but only if I can re-coup my costs. They've been sitting in a box for a month, hopefully next month I can install them with some nice HID kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #21
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
I did see brand new LCI LED headlights on eBay going for around $2K (no tax most likely for your state). That's not much more than the $1700 you would spend with Umnitza. It's also OEM, so you know the quality is there. There's a long thread here, but with the correct harness it's as plug-and-play as you can get with already having halogens. I got in on the USR Depo offering, but if I didn't I would go that route. I'm still debating going that route, hearing the issues with the Depo ones, but only if I can re-coup my costs. They've been sitting in a box for a month, hopefully next month I can install them with some nice HID kit.
These must be the headlights you're referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...1WxaPO&vxp=mtr

OEM is enticing, but price is pretty steep. I didn't see anything specifically saying it is plugnplay for halogen, so would you need some type of conversion kit?

The USR's look nice but are they even in stock? Plus, I've seen a lot of people having problems in other threads.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 02:54 AM   #22
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Quote:
These must be the headlights you're referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-...1WxaPO&vxp=mtr

OEM is enticing, but price is pretty steep. I didn't see anything specifically saying it is plugnplay for halogen, so would you need some type of conversion kit?

The USR's look nice but are they even in stock? Plus, I've seen a lot of people having problems in other threads.
With the correct wiring harness, it really is plug and play with a bit of coding. A way better alternative to HID projectors. Here's a long thread on it. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1191601 I've read it a couple times and it seems like the best choice for OEM.

USR Depos are never in stock. I just happened have my name on the notification list a few months back.
Appreciate 0