F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion
GetBMWParts

04-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #1277
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@BPC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
So for CUSTOM tunes, is there a clear winner?

ENZO - no, don't respond to emails
PTF- Too busy?
Feel free to contact us at (919) 501-2090 or email Tom at Thomas@bimmerperformancecenter.com. We will be more than happy to help you
How many custom maps have you made for the N55? Any references?

This is a critical aspect of our cars... probably the most important aspect. Can you explain in detail how your process works and your willingness to work with the customer on further revisions?

I assume this is not a 1-2 map revision situation and then we're done.

Thanks
Pete
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 2
akgambino271.50
FSociety3812.50
      04-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #1278
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Quote:
Keep us posted brother

We should try to list/rate each tuner. I don't know how or what we base it on...

But right now we have a list on the app, don't know a whole lot about who these guys/companies are. And I'm not just going to throw $300 and pray for a positive outcome.... anyone else feel same way?
Custom maps on the N55 are $300? I always thought it was $150?
I thought the same..

But what are we going to do at this point?
2017 Alpina B6
22 Ram Trx / 22 M5 CS
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #1279
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
I thought the same..

IDK. Seems a bit steep, yet I still think a custom tune is the best route for anyone. At $300 though, I may stick with the OTS map for awhile. It's more than enough power. Let me know how it goes for you. I would personally prefer an HCP tune, but if he's too busy to tune, i'm not sure how it will happen LOL.

I wonder how much back and forth is involved with custom tuning. You send a file, they send a file, rinse and repeat? That could be multiple days and runs to a specific "safe" spot to test.. LOL seems like alot of work, but again probably worth it.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-23-2018, 10:33 PM   #1280
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Quote:
I thought the same..

IDK. Seems a bit steep, yet I still think a custom tune is the best route for anyone. At $300 though, I may stick with the OTS map for awhile. It's more than enough power. Let me know how it goes for you. I would personally prefer an HCP tune, but if he's too busy to tune, i'm not sure how it will happen LOL.

I wonder how much back and forth is involved with custom tuning. You send a file, they send a file, rinse and repeat? That could be multiple days and runs to a specific "safe" spot to test.. LOL seems like alot of work, but again probably worth it.
Halim being so familiar with the platform because of his extensive work lately with the OTS Maps makes him seem like the obvious best pick for a custom tune. I said this to him in the Facebook group and asked for him to do a custom tune and he never really replied so ya I would be more eager to work with someone who is eager to work with me and is available to fine tune and dial in my car perfectly with as many revisions as it takes and not have to wait a week to hear back from them.

That being said, knowing how familiar a person is with a platform is crucial as is hearing some testimonials from people they recently tuned specifically if they are the exact same platform as my car because it doesn't really matter how power or torque they can make on an s55 with full e85 if I am a 91 octane n55 pwg guy.

My ots map sucks, it just doesn't seem to play well with my car. I reached out to a tuner and he told me I have a different rom version than most, I asked him to elaborate more on the process and explain how exactly he can solve my issues but he only said things like I think I can fix it and it will be smoother and faster. At this point I will be waiting for someone else to tune the exact same car as mine and provide a detailed review on the drivability, power delivery benefits and show logs comparing ots to custom tune before I throw any more money at it.

Some people in this post are questioning why the need for custom tune, in my case it's not to make more power or anything it is simply because the ots map just isn't that great in my instance and the car stumbles/shudders in the lower rpm range under wot making me have zero confidence in really getting on the throttle. I have also had issues with higher rpm knock including a super knock dme code being thrown. Also have long duration back to back throttle closures that make the power delivery car from smooth... so ya trying to get a proper tune to get the most out of my car after dropping a bunch of money on bm3 just to end up with a lot of the same issues as I had with jb4
      04-24-2018, 07:07 AM   #1281
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

Dang man that sucks. Sorry for your troubles. Just curious are you EWG or PWG and what ROM version.

Regarding the tuning process, I signed up for bm3 way early, before they had solid OTS maps. So with the OTS map they had at the time for Stage 2, 91 octane, I spent several days with Dzenan tweaking the OTS map. Basically, I would log via the bm3 app then send in map revision request through bm3. This would notify Dzenan and he would review my log, make tweaks, upload a revised OTS map that I would flash and log again. Rinse repeat for about 4-5 iterations until boost, timing fuel, etc. all looks good. I'm assuming a custom map would be a similar process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Halim being so familiar with the platform because of his extensive work lately with the OTS Maps makes him seem like the obvious best pick for a custom tune. I said this to him in the Facebook group and asked for him to do a custom tune and he never really replied so ya I would be more eager to work with someone who is eager to work with me and is available to fine tune and dial in my car perfectly with as many revisions as it takes and not have to wait a week to hear back from them.

That being said, knowing how familiar a person is with a platform is crucial as is hearing some testimonials from people they recently tuned specifically if they are the exact same platform as my car because it doesn't really matter how power or torque they can make on an s55 with full e85 if I am a 91 octane n55 pwg guy.

My ots map sucks, it just doesn't seem to play well with my car. I reached out to a tuner and he told me I have a different rom version than most, I asked him to elaborate more on the process and explain how exactly he can solve my issues but he only said things like I think I can fix it and it will be smoother and faster. At this point I will be waiting for someone else to tune the exact same car as mine and provide a detailed review on the drivability, power delivery benefits and show logs comparing ots to custom tune before I throw any more money at it.

Some people in this post are questioning why the need for custom tune, in my case it's not to make more power or anything it is simply because the ots map just isn't that great in my instance and the car stumbles/shudders in the lower rpm range under wot making me have zero confidence in really getting on the throttle. I have also had issues with higher rpm knock including a super knock dme code being thrown. Also have long duration back to back throttle closures that make the power delivery car from smooth... so ya trying to get a proper tune to get the most out of my car after dropping a bunch of money on bm3 just to end up with a lot of the same issues as I had with jb4

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #1282
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

I unlocked and flashed over the weekend. After initial flash I received codes galore.. fuel pump code, climate control code, DME code, OBD code. Flashed back to stock. Reflashed with same error codes again. Did an online recode and fixed the issues. Flashed to 93 stage 2 with about an E25 mix and having rough idle on startup until the car is slightly warm. I plan to flash to E30 map next weekend. Hopefully that will solve my issues with cold start stumbling and missing. Has anyone had issues running E mixes on 93 stg 2 map.? I have run E mixes on JB4 with no issues. I assumed the DME would correct for mixture.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #1283
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

I'm currently running about 25 ethanol on stage 2, 93 octane map. Try running the stage 2, 93 octane with cold start set to OEM or flash the stage 1 map (keeps OEM cold start). That will probably help with the stumble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
I unlocked and flashed over the weekend. After initial flash I received codes galore.. fuel pump code, climate control code, DME code, OBD code. Flashed back to stock. Reflashed with same error codes again. Did an online recode and fixed the issues. Flashed to 93 stage 2 with about an E25 mix and having rough idle on startup until the car is slightly warm. I plan to flash to E30 map next weekend. Hopefully that will solve my issues with cold start stumbling and missing. Has anyone had issues running E mixes on 93 stg 2 map.? I have run E mixes on JB4 with no issues. I assumed the DME would correct for mixture.

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 08:20 AM   #1284
rocklobsta1109
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 DCT

Quote:

Having owned several other more tuner style cars in the past that all were remote tuned, the process isn't too bad in my experience. They send you a base map and will ask for logging under specific conditions, usually driveability stuff first then work into WOT tuning. I feel like the first driveability step is a big one not present in the OTS tuning. Everyone logs WOT and that's it.

My previous car, FBO Evo X, my tuner went from a base map to done in about 5-6 total days of going back and forth maybe 1-2 times per day with logs as time permitted. After seeing the variance in ROM version and the PWG/EWG differences I'm going to predict that a good custom tune will really be game changing for most users.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-24-2018, 08:39 AM   #1285
TF3090
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i M Sport

Quote:

What ROM version do you have and how do you find out?

I have been seeing a lot of knock in my BM3 Stage 2 93 tune. 23 detected knocks in 15 minutes of driving, both low RPM while driving around and high RPM during WOT pulls. The scariest part is I would have had no clue until I logged yesterday, because I don't feel anything otherwise, things feel smooth overall and the power is great. I wonder how many other people are also getting knock and just not logging to see it.

1. Changing spark plugs soon and seeing if that changes things
2. If I still have issues, I may add a touch of E85 to see if its my fuel (BP 93) causing issues due to not meeting rating
3. If all else fails, I will flash the stock tune and see if I still have knock. It sucks because I love the Stage 2 power and overall fun this tune provides, but it's also very unsettling to see quite a few others reporting the same issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #1286
pongkin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

i want to get tuned on a dyno and get it done over with one shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post
Dang man that sucks. Sorry for your troubles. Just curious are you EWG or PWG and what ROM version.

Regarding the tuning process, I signed up for bm3 way early, before they had solid OTS maps. So with the OTS map they had at the time for Stage 2, 91 octane, I spent several days with Dzenan tweaking the OTS map. Basically, I would log via the bm3 app then send in map revision request through bm3. This would notify Dzenan and he would review my log, make tweaks, upload a revised OTS map that I would flash and log again. Rinse repeat for about 4-5 iterations until boost, timing fuel, etc. all looks good. I'm assuming a custom map would be a similar process.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #1287
akgambino
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi M-Sport (PWG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredG_F30 View Post

Quote:

Pwg, rom is 537577

Ya dzenan tried a couple tweaks to v7 for me seem d like it was heading in the right direction as far as the stumbling goes until the last tweak he made which brought it back and since then I haven't heard back from him in a week.

That's where knowing a custom tuner has availability to work with someone making revisions to a custom tune until it is working properly is very important. I don't doubt ptf could fix this for me I just don't think they have the time and aren't motivated to fix it for me.

Also, car doesn't have the shudder/stumble issue on stock flash and yes I have already upgraded plugs to ngk gapped to 0.02
      04-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #1288
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I'm reposting this on this thread from the log repository as I think it would be interesting to compare times with some of you guys.

I logged some 60-100 mph runs, and I found that if you import the logs into data zap you can plot time against vehicle speed and get pretty accurate numbers. Now because I didn't know this I wasn't actively trying to to 60-100 as quickly as possible, so some shifts are quicker than others. I did hit 60 mph between 3900 and 4000 rpm on all runs and shifted at between 5800 and 6000 rpm so results should be comparable.

PTF revised map V2 for 93 w/94 oct fuel: 6.58 sec
PTF revised map V2 for 93 w/94 oct fuel (2): 6.51 sec
OTS V7 93 oct. map w/94 oct fuel: 6.50 sec
OTS V7 91 oct. map w/94 oct fuel: 6.44 sec
OTS V6 91 oct. map w/91 oct fuel: 5.96 sec (v-power ftw???)

Interesting to me that I was able to get there almost half a second quicker on the 91 map w/ 91 oct Shell v-power..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #1289
matty088
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Learn anything about your fuel pump dip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
I'm reposting this on this thread from the log repository as I think it would be interesting to compare times with some of you guys.

I logged some 60-100 mph runs, and I found that if you import the logs into data zap you can plot time against vehicle speed and get pretty accurate numbers. Now because I didn't know this I wasn't actively trying to to 60-100 as quickly as possible, so some shifts are quicker than others. I did hit 60 mph between 3900 and 4000 rpm on all runs and shifted at between 5800 and 6000 rpm so results should be comparable.

PTF revised map V2 for 93 w/94 oct fuel: 6.58 sec
PTF revised map V2 for 93 w/94 oct fuel (2): 6.51 sec
OTS V7 93 oct. map w/94 oct fuel: 6.50 sec
OTS V7 91 oct. map w/94 oct fuel: 6.44 sec
OTS V6 91 oct. map w/91 oct fuel: 5.96 sec (v-power ftw???)

Interesting to me that I was able to get there almost half a second quicker on the 91 map w/ 91 oct Shell v-power..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #1290
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers View Post
i want to get tuned on a dyno and get it done over with one shot.
You can start with one of the FREE maps and then custom tune a secondary map. A lot of my customers go that route as one FREE map is already included.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #1291
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Learn anything about your fuel pump dip?
Not really... but I'm not an expert.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #1292
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@BPC View Post
Feel free to contact us at (919) 501-2090 or email Tom at Thomas@bimmerperformancecenter.com. We will be more than happy to help you
Any results with PWG or EWG cars you can show us ?

Quote:
How many custom maps have you made for the N55? Any references?

This is a critical aspect of our cars... probably the most important aspect. Can you explain in detail how your process works and your willingness to work with the customer on further revisions?

I assume this is not a 1-2 map revision situation and then we're done.

Thanks
Pete
+1

Quote:
No issues starting up my car with stock DP on E30 V5 nor V6 im EWG
No issues starting up on V5 or V6 93 Stg2 either with E25 blend in the tank the last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dope steez View Post
Not really... but I'm not an expert.
if u dont feel it cutting off throttle then you're ok

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 10:44 PM   #1293
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
No issues starting up my car with stock DP on E30 V5 nor V6 im EWG
No issues starting up on V5 or V6 93 Stg2 either with E25 blend in the tank the last month.
Are you on OEM or cold start bypassed..?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #1294
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Both actually, the adjuster just came out last week and I just put everything to OEM. I've only tried the E30 map since V5 when they new Cat-Heating was introduced which is 100x better than previous cold-start delete that would definitely make the car shake sometimes even on pump but not all the times.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      04-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #1295
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Quote:
Both actually, the adjuster just came out last week and I just put everything to OEM. I've only tried the E30 map since V5 when they new Cat-Heating was introduced which is 100x better than previous cold-start delete that would definitely make the car shake sometimes even on pump but not all the times.
I downloaded and ran the base 93 stage 2 map. I didn't alter the settings. Is the default map with OEM Coldstart activated.? because my car never went into cold start...
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #1296
F30_SixSpeed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
I downloaded and ran the base 93 stage 2 map. I didn't alter the settings. Is the default map with OEM Coldstart activated.? because my car never went into cold start...
Default for stage 2 is cold start cat heating delete (so OEM cold start is off) and burbles. You can change these now to your liking on the editor on the OTS maps.

335i M Sport 6MT || PS2 Turbo, FBO, XDI-35 HPFP, BM3, KW, MP BBK, OEM+
INSTAGRAM || BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 2
FSociety3812.50
      04-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #1297
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_SixSpeed View Post
Default for stage 2 is cold start cat heating delete (so OEM cold start is off) and burbles. You can change these now to your liking on the editor on the OTS maps.
I miss my cold start. I think I am going to add cold start back and keep burbles as is. Not sure why anyone would need any more burbles...
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      04-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #1298
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
I miss my cold start. I think I am going to add cold start back and keep burbles as is. Not sure why anyone would need any more burbles...
I turned off my burbles completely, and cold start delete is good so you don't piss off neighbors and it's better for the engine if you don't have a catted DP. Cold starts wears the engine faster.