F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Front Park Distance Control (PDC) Retrofit DYI
ARMA SPEED

02-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #221
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crz13 View Post
Coded all 3, (REM, ICM, HU_EntryNav)
Thought I’d FDL code my options back into Hu_Entry afterwards
Maybe you can now again compare the individual values ​​with these I wrote above.
The values ​​should now be set as in the picture with the 507.
Furthermore i would also delete the fault memory.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:51 AM   #222
Crz13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 435d M Sport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
Maybe you can now again compare the individual values ​​with these I wrote above.
Yes will be checking that shortly. Hit midnight last night and I gave up miserably lol. Will go to my local garage to use their code scanner to see/clear faults as I dont have rheingold or ista unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:59 AM   #223
Crz13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F32 435d M Sport xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by atzebmw View Post
Managed to plug in the diagnostics machine and clear the fault memory. As a result the rear sensors now work!

Thankyou VERY much for your support!
You’re a real credit to this forum!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #224
atzebmw
Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crz13 View Post
Managed to plug in the diagnostics machine and clear the fault memory. As a result the rear sensors now work!

Thankyou VERY much for your support!
You’re a real credit to this forum!
Thank you too.
And no problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #225
Johny212
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

It is possible to code it with bimmercode app after all?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 11:48 PM   #226
Gidimba
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F30) 11/2013

Hi,

Did you ever overcome the issue of the front PDC showing up only on the rear animation?

I have the same issue and my front PDC was retrofitted by the previous owner and I want to solve this.

Also, the PDC button was not installed. So I ordered the center console unit and want to add the wire from Pin 1 to the ICM Pin 28. Which thickness wire is used here? Anybody can assist with this.

Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyFor View Post
Hi,

Thanks for replying, i had allready the rear PDC's and retrofitted the front. I added the 508 in SALAPA and tryed to VO code them into the car. But I ran in some problems that resulted in airbag en seatbelt errors. That is solved now so i can go back to try and code the front PDC's. My question is do I need to remove the 507 option and put only the 508 in them becase in my firt attempt I left the 507 also.

The best case was that the front PDC's worked after my coding but they did show up on the rear animation on the idrive and not on the front if you understand what I mean. While driving around coded like that some other options like my auto cruise control failed and the sound of the PDC went away completly. So i removed that coding and everything else just worked fine again.

gr K
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #227
gfa3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 340i project, '21 M440i

can anyone in this thread answer this specific question possibly, is there leeway when placing the PDC sensors or is the wiring short/rigid?

I'm doing a custom f30 bumper right now and wondering if I can just approximate where the PDC sensors should go or if I actually have to do another test fitting and mark the holes.
      08-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #228
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

To answer the post above, I just used 6 separate strands of 22 AWG wire and then used tesa tape around them to keep it all together. I did at first try to find a single wire with 6x 22 AWG cores in it but that worked out more expensive anyway so I decided against it.

I did resurrect this thread to ask a question though.

I did this retrofit on my car yesterday. Made my own cable from the REM to the bumper and used genuine parts for the PDC mounts and the front apron cable. However I used non-genuine sensors from a certain auction site. It does all seem to work with no errors and the sensors are definitely sensing things but it does appear that there's a bit of lag or that it's even failing to detect things at times. I need to do a bit more testing to be sure though.

The sensors were unpainted so I gave them a light sanding with 2000 grit paper, one layer of plastic primer, two light coats of paint and two light coats of clear coat. The sensors all look great which is impressive for me given that I'm terrible at painting things. If there is an issue (and while I can't be 100% sure yet, my gut feeling is that it isn't quite right) could it be that I used too much paint on the sensors or that these non-genuine sensors are just crap? Don't mind buying genuine sensors if I have to but if it sounds like I've given them too much paint then I'd rather try sorting that out first.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #229
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just in case anyone else has this in future. I re-sanded my sensors down, re-painted them and used only one coat of paint and clear coat. The sensors were still the same. They worked, and worked enough to be useful but they just seemed to be a bit lazy/laggy. I could get near an object, stop the car then after a couple of seconds the display would show red and I'd get the beeps. It was obvious that it's not right, and even more obvious after driving my wife's X3 which has factory front sensors.

I've just replaced the cheap sensors with genuine BMW pre-painted sensors (used, no way I'm paying the new prices) and now it seems to be responding perfectly. Given that I did the bare minimum with painting the cheap sensors, I'm now drawing the conclusion that the cheap 3rd party sensors are either crap or I got a bad set. My gut instinct is that they're just crap and that I'd probably get away with 1 or 2 cheap sensors mixed in with 1 or 2 genuines, but having all 4 as cheap sensors was just not right.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 07:59 AM   #230
Pogne
France
Rep
Drives: G31 530d xDrive Luxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwhar View Post
Few members have mentioned that here and ended up ordering the alternative contact pins/repair wires. Since I had to do the rear PDC and knew the contact pin from that diy worked, I just ordered those. Just keep in mind, when I was working on the PDC pins at the REM, I could visually see some of the pins could touch at the top (where the wires comes out) so I added some electrical tape just to be safe. If you didn't have to do your rear PDC, this may not apply to you but just keep an eye out.
Hi there!
I’ve the exact same issue as I am unable to make the 6 connectors fit into the REM plug.
What exact repair kit did you order?
rflagg I guess I should quote you to.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #231
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I may be able to help a bit on this. I originally bought these terminals for my REM connection as I made my own harness for it:

12527522387 - Contact tube MQS1.2 0,35-0,5mm² SN x10

I saw some people in the thread said they used these but I found they were a very tight fit in the REM connector. With the help of a small screwdriver I did get them pushed in enough to work but I wasn't happy with it. I knew there was no way I'd get them out of the connector again so I bought a new brown REM connector, swapped all the original wires into the new connector and crimped new terminals on my front PDC wires. The terminals I used were

61131393724 - Socket terminal MQS, 0,5-0.75 MM²/SN

Alternatively if you want the repair wires with the cables crimped to the terminals, I used one of these repair wires when I fitted my heated seats so I know these also fit into the REM connector fine:

61130006663 (I think a new replacement part number for the same thing is 61130056960 so check that too) - Contact bushing MQS with cable, 0.75 QMM

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Zheez; 09-16-2020 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 01:22 PM   #232
Pogne
France
Rep

Zheez, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
In the meantime I had ordered 61131383776 - Socket terminal MQS 0.2-0.35 MM²/SN.
I've crimped my 6 cables with these sockets this afternoon and they fit perfectly in the a174*14b plug inside the REM. (ahhh... this satisfying "click" noise after each cable insertion)

I cannot test my setup yet as I'm missing the front sensors harness which is still in transit.

My car is an LCI, my guess is that pre-LCI uses wider-sized connectors : 0,5-0.75 MM²
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #233
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

If anyone is looking to do this project I have a brand new wiring/parts set for sale. I was going to do this on my 2016 M3 then changed cars before I had time to do it. 8 Silvestone sensors can be included or not. Even the unused drill tap is included. Make me an offer and take this kit off my hands.
Attached Images

09-30-2020, 12:43 PM   #234
Pogne
France
Rep

Mission accomplished! Thanks to the OP for this guide and to @Zheez for his kind reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 08:11 AM   #235
Pogne
France
Rep

I wonder why some people change the REM.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 10:11 AM   #236
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you got it all sorted

The REM can need changing on some cars. Not sure if it's certain manufacture dates or something else, but I know there are lower spec REMs with the terminals for PDC connection pins completely missing.

I've seen this on some cars that didn't come with rear PDC, but as far as I know any REM that has the pins for rear PDC will also have the pins for front PDC present.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:50 AM   #237
Jyrmy83
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 318 XD

Problem

Hello to all. Yesterday I have finished my front pdc retrofit installation. I don't have possibilities to code my BMW. So wiring is done, there wasn't anything special. Everything was done just like instructions, without coding. Now my cars doesn't work at all! Rear windows, trunk, rear blinkers, parking lights, rear pdc and something else what I don't remember now. Is it only cause of coding it doesn't work like it should? When I noticed all of this I disconnected connector from front bumper. After disconnecting car was again working like it should... Is this all normal and will go away with coding?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:01 AM   #238
Pogne
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrmy83 View Post
Hello to all. Yesterday I have finished my front pdc retrofit installation. I don't have possibilities to code my BMW. So wiring is done, there wasn't anything special. Everything was done just like instructions, without coding. Now my cars doesn't work at all! Rear windows, trunk, rear blinkers, parking lights, rear pdc and something else what I don't remember now. Is it only cause of coding it doesn't work like it should? When I noticed all of this I disconnected connector from front bumper. After disconnecting car was again working like it should... Is this all normal and will go away with coding?
You must have forgotten to replug something, as a non-coded wouldn’t cause all the issues you’re encountering. When you correctly do the front PDC retrofit and before coding, you car isn’t aware that it has front PDC sensors installed, that’s all.
You should check the connector you’ve worked on in the REM and see if it’s correctly seated/inserted.

Edit: you should double check in the REM where you plugged the 6 pins from the front PDC harness.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 12:49 PM   #239
Jyrmy83
Registered
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogne View Post
You must have forgotten to replug something, as a non-coded wouldn’t cause all the issues you’re encountering. When you correctly do the front PDC retrofit and before coding, you car isn’t aware that it has front PDC sensors installed, that’s all.
You should check the connector you’ve worked on in the REM and see if it’s correctly seated/inserted.

Edit: you should double check in the REM where you plugged the 6 pins from the front PDC harness.
OK ok. Need to check everything again. Someone mentioned on earlier post that these small pins where really tight to fit in. I was thinking that too when I was plugging in these cables. But it's still crazy cause I only unplug one connector after I see all of my warning lights start to blink in dash... And that blug was inside the bumber...
Thanks for advice.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #240
Pogne
France
Rep

If the connectors (MQS) were very hard to insert then there is a high probability that you’re in the same situation in which I was: these connectors are too big.
Each female connector should enter into the plastic socket (a174*14b) without effort and you should hear a click.
If not, you may have to crimp the 6 wires with new MQS connectors like I did.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #241
Pogne
France
Rep

Quote:
Zheez, thank you very much for your prompt reply.
In the meantime I had ordered 61131383776 - Socket terminal MQS 0.2-0.35 MM²/SN.
I've crimped my 6 cables with these sockets this afternoon and they fit perfectly in the a174*14b plug inside the REM. (ahhh... this satisfying "click" noise after each cable insertion)

I cannot test my setup yet as I'm missing the front sensors harness which is still in transit.

My car is an LCI, my guess is that pre-LCI uses wider-sized connectors : 0,5-0.75 MM²
Jyrmy83 check my post from last month
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:18 AM   #242
Jyrmy83
Registered
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Jyrmy83 check my post from last month
Thanks! I think that I need to do that same thing🤔.
Appreciate 0