F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > brand new car needs to be repainted - help me find a solution
GetBMWParts

04-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #1
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

brand new car needs to be repainted - help me find a solution

long story short my brand new 340i 6MT was left outside too long on the west coast and they believe either acid rain or sap ate the paint. It just arrived at my local dealership and the shop that I hired to do the paint correction and prep before Xpel front end and ceramic pro coating noticed it and sent it back. What do I do now?? If I have them re-paint the entire car it's now ruined forever really as nothing beats a factory finish and the best shop can't replicate the way the car comes out of Germany...

Even if they do re-paint the car I can't install the Xpel right after either as it has to cure so I'll end up driving a fresh paint job in the spring roads full of leftover stones and sand and it will hit my bumper and hood and make little marks so for the two months the paint cures the car gets marked up and then I install the coating and xpel over imperfect paint anyway...

seriously what do I do??
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I had a similar situation back in 2004/05. I purchased a new 545 got it home and noticed the paint on the trunk was cloudy. I contacted the dealer and BMW USA. End result was I drove the 545 for about 4 weeks while they brought in a replacement car for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I had a similar situation back in 2004/05. I purchased a new 545 got it home and noticed the paint on the trunk was cloudy. I contacted the dealer and BMW USA. End result was I drove the 545 for about 4 weeks while they brought in a replacement car for me.
Problem is I bought the last 6MT 340i in the country. It literally can't be replaced...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Problem is I bought the last 6MT 340i in the country. It literally can't be replaced...
Tough situation. I sense you purchased the car - correct?

If one of the goals is to keep the car as long as possible, I would work with BMW to get another car even at the cost of losing MT. Selling the car later with less than perfect paint will diminish the vehicle value.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #5
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Tough situation. I sense you purchased the car - correct?

If one of the goals is to keep the car as long as possible, I would work with BMW to get another car even at the cost of losing MT. Selling the car later with less than perfect paint will diminish the vehicle value.
No it's a lease but I don't want to take a new car that's imperfect. I am more looking for help with the structure of how I paint and apply ppf and coatings in this situation rather than the business side of it as I will be keeping the car as it can't be switched out...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
No it's a lease but I don't want to take a new car that's imperfect. I am more looking for help with the structure of how I paint and apply ppf and coatings in this situation rather than the business side of it as I will be keeping the car as it can't be switched out...
I see. Thanks for the details.

Since it's a lease and the car will be returned to BMW, as long as the paint discrepancies are noted without the risk of any lease termination charges, perhaps "do nothing" is an option?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
long story short my brand new 340i 6MT was left outside too long on the west coast and they believe either acid rain or sap ate the paint. It just arrived at my local dealership and the shop that I hired to do the paint correction and prep before Xpel front end and ceramic pro coating noticed it and sent it back. What do I do now?? If I have them re-paint the entire car it's now ruined forever really as nothing beats a factory finish and the best shop can't replicate the way the car comes out of Germany...

Even if they do re-paint the car I can't install the Xpel right after either as it has to cure so I'll end up driving a fresh paint job in the spring roads full of leftover stones and sand and it will hit my bumper and hood and make little marks so for the two months the paint cures the car gets marked up and then I install the coating and xpel over imperfect paint anyway...

seriously what do I do??
Quote:

seriously what do I do??
I had a paint issue and a dealer sales rep told me to take the car to a local paint shop. When I went there the place had BMWs all over their lot. Turns out the dealer sends all of their cars there that have any transportation or lot damage. They do beautiful work.

Curious who told you that there is some big cure time. I took the car to the best local ceramic coating detailer. He talked to the paint shop and said that there was no issue coating the car right after it was painted. Color is Sapphire Black Metallic.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Read your reply and understand your car is in fact quite special. I'll add this but don't know if it'll help

last year my Son and I took a tour with the BCCA of the west coast port hueneme delivery center - there were a good number of cars there getting port installed options but an equal number of cars getting re-painted due to transport and storage issues. Point is the repainted cars will go to dealerships and end-users and no one will know the difference. Perhaps get BMW to make the car right for you and ensure it is not added to paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

A good paint shop can do a better job than the factory. If you don't believe it look at the youtube videos showing what goes into doing a paint correction job on a brand new BMW. No robot is capable of that degree of detail. I doubt that BMW would be willing to pay the extra $$$ to have it get a true show car paint job, but there's only one way to find out.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #10
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Wrap it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Wrap it
+1
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos

Last edited by EDWYER; 04-21-2019 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It's a new car, the paint is defective, he should be getting a new paint job under warranty. Why wrap it?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

It's going to be extremely expensive and will never be the same if it's repainted, I say live with it until you get another car honestly.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It's a new car, the paint is defective, he should be getting a new paint job under warranty. Why wrap it?
If he can't get it repainted under warranty - wrapping is likely next best option. My friends satin black X5 looks way better wrapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #15
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

I did think about wrapping it but the local dealer just finished a multi million dollar reno to their body shop and they have all the new painting tech and finally received certification from BMW (what they tell me anyway...) so I am going to have them give it a shot but then after that accelerated curing room time I will have the shop do paint correction and then xpel the front end and then out the 5 year 9h ceramic pro coating over top of everything. That process will at least somewhat balance things out. I'm hoping anyway and I definitely don't think I should be paying for that anymore. That being said a matte black ice wrap might look pretty cool too...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #16
Commerce
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Do you have any photos?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
Do you have any photos?
haven't even seen the car yet. Just been informed and what they are doing to correct the issues. they gave me a 2019 440 grand coupe at least until it's sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 12:27 AM   #18
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulence View Post
Do you have any photos?
haven't even seen the car yet. Just been informed and what they are doing to correct the issues. they gave me a 2019 440 grand coupe at least until it's sorted.
I think you have been given the best possible outcome besides just giving you another new MT 340i. In the end it's just a lease anyway. Let them repaint it and who cares. I wouldn't even xpel it. Just machine wash for 3 years and live a stress free life knowing that you are getting what you paid for: normal wear and tear on the paint is part of the depreciation, and spending thousands to keep it perfect for the next guy is a waste of money IMHO. Drive it and enjoy the stress free maintenance of a leased car with a good residual.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:21 AM   #19
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I think you have been given the best possible outcome besides just giving you another new MT 340i. In the end it's just a lease anyway. Let them repaint it and who cares. I wouldn't even xpel it. Just machine wash for 3 years and live a stress free life knowing that you are getting what you paid for: normal wear and tear on the paint is part of the depreciation, and spending thousands to keep it perfect for the next guy is a waste of money IMHO. Drive it and enjoy the stress free maintenance of a leased car with a good residual.
I hear you and I debated that but for me to have this thing for 4 years with our sand and pebbly roads I think the xpel and coating is a must to have it not look trashed imo after year 2. That was why I was doing it when the car was brand new. Plus at this point if you have to paint my brand new car you (the dealership one or the other) is paying for the xpel and coating anyway I would think as my argument is I signed the deal for a brand new car from factory. that means factory finish paint. now thats changed so i am not getting the car I signed for. An acceptable compromise if you are painting some pieces and not others is do that, let it cure and then put the xpel and coating on to balance everything out.
Appreciate 0