F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ZF 8 speed - really that good?
GetBMWParts

05-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I don't really understand the issue being discussed on the gearbox. Unless it has some kind of link to maps, how is it supposed to know what you're going to do next.

If you're coasting up to a roundabout or a junction it can't know that you're not coasting up to slow moving traffic, or coming to a standstill. It won't know you're about to go from coasting, to needing a swift spurt of speed. If it did know, it would need to hold onto a lower gear so it was ready to react for you.

But, wouldn't that be equally as annoying when you're coasting up to the back of a line of traffic?

If I know I'm coasting up to somewhere that I'm going to need to quickly move off from I instinctively push the stick left into Sport, or very occasionally use the paddles. I don't seem to get any delay then. Unless the gearbox can predict the road in front of you, it can't know what you're about to do surely?
You raise some very valid points.

I believe some of the hesitation a few users find in any AT, with adaptive transmission control, is down to driver inputs. I know we've experienced this in our family, where several of us have been driving the same vehicles with AT. Very different opinion and experience of the same unit, but sitting passenger on occasion, it has been clear it is not the gearbox itself, but how it is driven. Not always the case, there are AT's with issues, but many are fine, if driven with some degree of understanding how AT with adaptive management functions.

Many drivers are what I call "on-off" or "digital" drivers, on and off the throttle and brakes. (Not how I was taught to drive, MT or AT). As adaptive management uses throttle and brake evaluation as part of its anticipation of driver intention, hard and/or fast brake and throttle application can give confusing messages, particularly when mixed with coasting.

Smooth and speed of application, (both throttle and brakes) has a big part in giving precise command to the transmission management. Some times, all that is needed, is a slight touch of the throttle ahead of any required action, to get a down shift, then the 'box is 'awake' ready to go on further command.

I've stated for years, "learn to drive an AT", "experiment", get to know its finer nuances. It is much more capable than many find, just on and off the throttle. Find out how features like gearchange suppression function, and how to over-ride it instantly on command, how to control the degree of engine braking to your demands, etc..

Personally I like to take any AT out into the mountains, learn its capabilities and how to exploit it to advantage. The 8-speed is a brilliant bit of kit, far more capable and controllable than many will ever experience in simple urban driving and negotiating a few roundabouts.
Appreciate 3
APJ245.00
DaveA1873.50
      05-21-2019, 07:15 AM   #46
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

true, £300 isn't cheap. but its a small price to pay to know you are updating the box to be as good as it can be, and as good as it could have been out of the factory. as an engineer, i was somewhat scheptical, until i tried it on a friends flashed 6 speed. i was so impressed with the 6 speed, and the 8 speed was every bit as good. for a car that has a list price of over £50k, i thought that £300 was a small price to pay for the gains. also i am v happy with the fact that the xhp flash will actually compliment and extend the life of the gearbox - one thing it does is 'blip the throttle' after every gearshift, whether up or down (as its a diesel, this is not audible tho). this action puts less strain on the box, as there is less initial inertia as the next gear is selected and engaged, as its already 'on revs / at optimum revs' when the gear is engaged. this creates a more seamless drive when going up or down the gears. in D mode, the gear changes are truly unnoticable, in S mode, the changes are v v barely noticable - much better than standard. i have no affiliation to xhp, i just think a product like this is worth shouting about. believe me, if i was not impressed, i would make my feelings clear.
btw, the car is remapped to 370bhp and 720nm, and the 0-60 time is a verified 3.9 sec without using launch control ! as an engineer, i am sympathetic to the strains that launch control can cause on internal mechanical components, so after testing it a couple of times, no longer use it. actually, zf have incorporated a built in software update to alter the launch control parameters when activated for the 50th time - this lets you still use launch control in the usual manner, but in a slightly subdued fashion (not really noticable, but safer on the longevity of the transmission, as 'dumping' the clutch at considerable revs cant be healthy for even the best box).
better than audi, which stops working after 200 activations, and later amg's have a similar count.
      05-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #47
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seenthelight! View Post
true, £300 isn't cheap. but its a small price to pay to know you are updating the box to be as good as it can be, and as good as it could have been out of the factory. as an engineer, i was somewhat scheptical, until i tried it on a friends flashed 6 speed. i was so impressed with the 6 speed, and the 8 speed was every bit as good. for a car that has a list price of over £50k, i thought that £300 was a small price to pay for the gains. also i am v happy with the fact that the xhp flash will actually compliment and extend the life of the gearbox - one thing it does is 'blip the throttle' after every gearshift, whether up or down (as its a diesel, this is not audible tho). this action puts less strain on the box, as there is less initial inertia as the next gear is selected and engaged, as its already 'on revs / at optimum revs' when the gear is engaged. this creates a more seamless drive when going up or down the gears. in D mode, the gear changes are truly unnoticable, in S mode, the changes are v v barely noticable - much better than standard. i have no affiliation to xhp, i just think a product like this is worth shouting about. believe me, if i was not impressed, i would make my feelings clear.
btw, the car is remapped to 370bhp and 720nm, and the 0-60 time is a verified 3.9 sec without using launch control ! as an engineer, i am sympathetic to the strains that launch control can cause on internal mechanical components, so after testing it a couple of times, no longer use it. actually, zf have incorporated a built in software update to alter the launch control parameters when activated for the 50th time - this lets you still use launch control in the usual manner, but in a slightly subdued fashion (not really noticable, but safer on the longevity of the transmission, as 'dumping' the clutch at considerable revs cant be healthy for even the best box).
better than audi, which stops working after 200 activations, and later amg's have a similar count.
Looks like i will have to get saving up my pennies, just have to wait until i get service, new rear sway bar and first mot out of the way.

Though problem is don't have an android phone or tablet
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #48
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
Quote:
Looks like i will have to get saving up my pennies, just have to wait until i get service, new rear sway bar and first mot out of the way.

The iOS App is scheduled for release in H2 this year
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
APJ245.00
      05-21-2019, 08:14 AM   #49
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
That may be perfect timing, cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #50
seenthelight!
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 435d f32 coupe

Quote:

you know you want it !
as for no android device, a cheap phone can be bought from ebay, borrow one from a mate, or if you have an apple phone, get the xhp for that device
      05-21-2019, 11:48 AM   #51
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I'll wait for your review Watsey before deciding myself, since we both have the same engine remapped.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:57 AM   #52
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

you know you want it !
as for no android device, a cheap phone can be bought from ebay, borrow one from a mate, or if you have an apple phone, get the xhp for that device
As above, the iOS App isn't available yet. According to the developer, it's scheduled for H2 this year.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:01 AM   #53
Madlil
Private
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

I assume the xhp flash invalidates Bmw warranty, or is it untraceable when changing back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 02:46 AM   #54
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd make all the same assumptions as per a remap : probably traceable; would invalidate warranty.
Appreciate 1
Madlil16.50